Default What do you recommend?

I posted on here before asking where to start with new dc comics. But I am very confused with new 52 and rebirth. So I decided that since there are so many back issues I would just read them. There are thousands to keep me busy and I don't have to worry about the confusion of reboots. So my question is what are some good stories to read or a good issue to start my collection. I am looking for batman Superman and teen titian's. I have already read batman year one, the killing joke, and the dark Knight returns.

Thanks in advance for all the help and am sorry to bug you guys again with this.
    This Post Contains No Artificial Intelligence. It Contains No Human Intelligence Either.

You should read Red Hood and The Outlaws(2016) with Jason, Artemis and Bizarro(I donīt recommend the previous run) is a good comic.

About Superman. Maybe New Super-man(cancelled now) is a good option, is a chinese guy who obtained Superman powers. He is a jerk initially but the character improves during the rest of the run.

BOTH COMICS ARE FUNNY.
    Last edited by adrikito; 05-19-2018 at 06:47 AM.

Extraordinary Member Restingvoice's Avatar

Some glossary:
    New 52 is a reboot of DC Universe so there are new origins, but not everything is completely new. The idea is some events that happened in previous continuity happen in New 52, but with some differences to fit the new continuity.

Rebirth is a process to bring back elements of previous continuities that were missing in New 52. A lot of fans left DC because character development that happened were erased and there's too many changes. So they're bringing them back slowly. The lore still continue from New 52, but the story is literally about the heroes trying to recover a missing timeline. So not everything fits and the process isn't done yet.

New 52 Recommendations
    Batman Vol. 1-2
    Batman and Robin Vol. 1-3
    Action Comics Vol. 1-3
    Aquaman
    Last edited by Restingvoice; 05-19-2018 at 10:58 AM.

A story I always liked that came out in the 80's was Cosmic Odyssey. There are trades out there for it. it has Darkseid, Superman Batman, Green Lantern, Orion, and others.
    I think restorative nostalgia is the number one issue with comic book fans.
    A fine distinction between two types of Nostalgia:

Reflective Nostalgia allows us to savor our memories but accepts that they are in the past
    Restorative Nostalgia pushes back against the here and now, keeping us stuck trying to relive our glory days.

If you want to go with the more "classic" takes

Teen Titans Year One.
    Superman: For All Seasons.
    Batman: The Long Halloween.

Spectacular Member RoamingGnome8's Avatar

For Rebirth I would recommend:
    Greg Rucka's Wonder Woman Rebirth
    Deathstroke the Terminator
    Green Lanterns
    Young Animals Doom Patrol
    The Terrifics

New 52:
    Batwoman

The Classics:
    Frank Miller's Batman Year One
    Darwyn Cooke's Catwoman series
    George Perez's Wonder Woman
    Greg Rucka's The Hiketiea
    George Perez's The New Teen Titans (especially Judas Contract)
    Trinity
    JLA: League of One
    Grant Morrisons JLA
    Grant Morrisons Doom Patrol
    Vertigos Sandman
    Death of Superman/Reign of Supermen
    Batman Knightfall
    Vertigo's Hellblazer

My recommendation- Just pick up stuff that looks interesting to you. Don't worry too much about chronological order; if something is referenced in a story, you can always pick up that comic book after.

I picked up the whole death of Superman at a local library book sale. They had all four graphic novels plus the doomsday graphic novel. Got all 5 for 30 bucks. It was a great deal.

As for batman I looked at th online retailer I go through. Have to do that as there are no comic shops near me. Anyway I decided to start on issue 409. That is when they get to a price point I can afford and seems like a good place to start. Just as Jason Todd takes over as Robin.
    This Post Contains No Artificial Intelligence. It Contains No Human Intelligence Either.

Super Sons is a fun series. Think of a series with Batman and Superman as kids, yet still doing heroics. This is what it is.

For background on the transition to Rebirth, look into Titans Hunt (re-establishes the original Teen Titans), Superman: Lois and Clark, New52 Last Days of Superman, then the Rebirth Special kicks everything off.

I also second Red Hood and the Outlaws Rebirth.

Quote Originally Posted by tbaron View Post
    I posted on here before asking where to start with new dc comics. But I am very confused with new 52 and rebirth. So I decided that since there are so many back issues I would just read them. There are thousands to keep me busy and I don't have to worry about the confusion of reboots. So my question is what are some good stories to read or a good issue to start my collection. I am looking for batman Superman and teen titian's. I have already read batman year one, the killing joke, and the dark Knight returns.

Thanks in advance for all the help and am sorry to bug you guys again with this.
    I gave up on trying to follow books issue to issue a year ago.
    This past year I have been purchasing soft and hard cover books featuring stories originally released over the past 70 years.
    I find Amazon a good place for searching out collected editions because on the same page there will be many other books that
    might interest me because of the one I am searching and than when I click on one that will result in me seeing that book, but
    with it a whole new listing of books that might interest me based on the book being solicited on that page, it just
    goes on and on (but naturally does have some repeaters as there will always be solicitations for newer books and many that
    have not been released yet.
    I realize there are other places that will give me a chronological order of books that have been released, but I like my way because
    I can see what books are actually still in print and what are not and from that better strategize my purchasing (many times I will
    use another seller like Instock because of pricing
    Of the recent books I really like Rebirth Batman and Superman and Wonder Woman hardcover deluxe books,
    all three have there second volume coming out very soon.
    Teen Titans has not been rewarding, but the first two volumes of Wolfman/ Perez New Teen Titans is out in omnibus and the third volume is around
    the corner, and than there is the Geoff Johns Teen Titans run that can be purchased in a huge omnibus or trades in which I believe the first
    two editions (new printings) can be had.
    But yeah....... trying to follow any new series is almost impossibly depressing in how so many get cancelled or changed
    that waiting for the dust to clear and getting the winners in soft and hard covers more worth the wait and the reward is
    so many other collections are out there waiting t be re-read or discovered.