Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Incredible Member

I read doom patrol, and first series of cave carson, and shade.

Cave i enjoyed - good characterisation, compelling storyline, and looked great.

Shade was just utterly bland - in the end i just gave up and re read milligan's run which is just lightyears better.

Doom Patrol was just awful. It started off really strong then just utterly collapsed. Nothing was allowed to develop so it was impossible to care about anyone or anything and the whole story whatever it was supposed to be was so rushed. A terrible waste of derrington who made the book look great but that story was just garbled grant morrison fan fic.

Good idea by dc but the writers who came on couldnt hold a candle to morrison, milligan et al from 1990s
    Last edited by iron chimp; 05-11-2018 at 05:37 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Stone View Post
    I don't know how much that would help them.
    Vertigo isn't what it used to be. Especially without Berger or Bond.
    Retailers wouldn't be ordering more copies just because they're at Vertigo.
    If anything, retailers were probably ordering more with Gerard Way being attached and Young Animal being new and buzzworthy.
    I think relaunching the books (giving them all a convenient jump-off point), combined with Doom Patrol losing its steam, is what killed retailer (and reader) interest.
    After the relaunch my LCS consistently ordered way more copies of Young Animal books, I think Milk Wars did really well for them and the owner dug it too. Prior I don't recall them ordering more than 3-4 copies for anything other than Doom Patrol.

BANNED

Doom Patrol is the only book I've been reading (I do mean to eventually get to the others) and I'm glad it'll be coming back eventually. Wonder what other new books will come with it.

Quote Originally Posted by iron chimp View Post

Doom Patrol was just awful. It but that story was just garbled grant morrison fan fic.
    but the writers who came on couldnt hold a candle to morrison,
    That's opinions for ya. For me, Doom Patrol is easily one of the best books DC has had in recent years and when recommending it to people, I've described it as "If Morrison was as good as people hyped him up to be."

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Assam View Post
    Doom Patrol is the only book I've been reading (I do mean to eventually get to the others) and I'm glad it'll be coming back eventually. Wonder what other new books will come with it.

That's opinions for ya. For me, Doom Patrol is easily one of the best books DC has had in recent years and when recommending it to people, I've described it as "If Morrison was as good as people hyped him up to be."
    haha very true. Well I'm glad you enjoyed it! What did you like in it over Morrison's Doom Patrol?

BANNED

haha very true. Well I'm glad you enjoyed it! What did you like in it over Morrison's Doom Patrol?
    Truth be told, I haven't given his DP a fair shake yet. I'm more referring to his work in general which, with the exception of Animal Man and a few scattered issues here and there, I'm not a fan of.

Incredible Member

Truth be told, I haven't given his DP a fair shake yet. I'm more referring to his work in general which, with the exception of Animal Man and a few scattered issues here and there, I'm not a fan of.
    Well I'd say put your previous experiences to one side and give it a go. Even if you hate it, it will give you the background on a lot of characters in Way's run and add context to a lot of what's going on but I think you might actually really enjoy it. Lovely art by Richard Case too. I dare you to try it!

BANNED

Well I'd say put your previous experiences to one side and give it a go. Even if you hate it, it will give you the background on a lot of characters in Way's run and add context to a lot of what's going on but I think you might actually really enjoy it. Lovely art by Richard Case too. I dare you to try it!
    It is on my list (The guy who used to run my school's comic book club is obsessed with that run and managed to get me interested, despite Morrison), but my to-read list is pretty long so it's not gonna be for awhile.

YA's DP has a lot of inspiration from Morrison's run. I would find it surprising for someone to like one run, but not the other.

Quote Originally Posted by SkyMason21 View Post
    After the relaunch my LCS consistently ordered way more copies of Young Animal books, I think Milk Wars did really well for them and the owner dug it too. Prior I don't recall them ordering more than 3-4 copies for anything other than Doom Patrol.
    03/2018: Eternity Girl #1 of 6 -- 16,277
    03/2018: Mother Panic: Gotham AD #1 -- 14,047
    03/2018: Shade the Changing Woman #1 -- 12,705
    03/2018: Cave Carson #1 -- 11,659

While they were considerable jumps above their last issues,

01/2018: Doom Patrol #10 -- 15,504
    10/2017: Mother Panic #12 -- 7,801
    09/2017: Shade Girl #12 -- 7,640
    09/2017: Cave Cybernetic #12 -- 8,050

they still pale in comparison to the previous #1 issues...

09/2016: Doom Patrol #1 -- 83,848
    10/2016: Cave Carson #1 -- 38,724
    11/2016: Mother Panic #1 -- 45,089
    10/2016: Shade the Changing Girl #1 -- 35,289
    "There's magic in the sound of analog audio." - CNET.

Savior of the Universe Flash Gordon's Avatar

I don't think monthly sales are the goal for these.

They all should be able to do excellently in tpb, with the right push
    Last edited by Flash Gordon; 05-11-2018 at 03:11 PM.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Stone View Post
    03/2018: Eternity Girl #1 of 6 -- 16,277
    03/2018: Mother Panic: Gotham AD #1 -- 14,047
    03/2018: Shade the Changing Woman #1 -- 12,705
    03/2018: Cave Carson #1 -- 11,659

While they were considerable jumps above their last issues,

01/2018: Doom Patrol #10 -- 15,504
    10/2017: Mother Panic #12 -- 7,801
    09/2017: Shade Girl #12 -- 7,640
    09/2017: Cave Cybernetic #12 -- 8,050

they still pale in comparison to the previous #1 issues...

09/2016: Doom Patrol #1 -- 83,848
    10/2016: Cave Carson #1 -- 38,724
    11/2016: Mother Panic #1 -- 45,089
    10/2016: Shade the Changing Girl #1 -- 35,289
    But with the #2 they are almost back to the pre relaunch numbers.

04/2018: Doom Patrol #11 -- 12,937
    04/2018: Eternity Girl #2 of 6 -- 8,201
    04/2018: Mother Panic: Gotham AD #2 -- 8,053
    04/2018: Shade the Changing Woman #2 -- 7,854
    04/2018: Cave Carson #2 -- 7,540

Quote Originally Posted by Flash Gordon View Post
    I think monthly sales are the goal for these.

They all should be able to do excellently in tpb, with the right push.
    YA does tend to be much like Vertigo in that and I'd guess the numbers accepted for them would be different than those for the standard superhero stuff. If a bigger share of the money for these is from trades (and digital), then cutoffs would be lower. Still the numbers Lee Stone quoted are disheartening.

Quote Originally Posted by Aahz View Post
    But with the #2 they are almost back to the pre relaunch numbers.

04/2018: Doom Patrol #11 -- 12,937
    04/2018: Eternity Girl #2 of 6 -- 8,201
    04/2018: Mother Panic: Gotham AD #2 -- 8,053
    04/2018: Shade the Changing Woman #2 -- 7,854
    04/2018: Cave Carson #2 -- 7,540
    True, and the first issue sales are almost entirely a sign of retailer support. And for various reasons, retailers just weren't as interested this time around. Likely because they just saw them as nothing more than a start of a new arc or an anniversary issue.
    "There's magic in the sound of analog audio." - CNET.

Savior of the Universe Flash Gordon's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by CaptCleghorn View Post
    YA does tend to be much like Vertigo in that and I'd guess the numbers accepted for them would be different than those for the standard superhero stuff. If a bigger share of the money for these is from trades (and digital), then cutoffs would be lower. Still the numbers Lee Stone quoted are disheartening.
    Yeah they are disheartening for sure, but I wouldn't be surprised if a lot of these books have a large resurgence in the paperback market. Especially with Gerard Way involved.

I think there's a large market out there that hasn't really been noticed yet.

Honestly all these books should be selling like crazy, there's so much talent and creativity in the pages.

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by CaptCleghorn View Post
    YA's DP has a lot of inspiration from Morrison's run. I would find it surprising for someone to like one run, but not the other.
    Indeed, Way's run owes a LOT to Morrison's, and is pretty much a sequel to it. Albeit one that tries to also do a lot of its own things, and mostly succeeds. But Morrison's is still, IMO, superior. If only because there's a lot more of it to spread its ideas and stories out.

Way impressed me quite a bit though, with his DP and I'd love to see more work from him on the title and even other corners of the DCU, both major and minor.