Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Since it's not a numbered film and I'm not super jazzed, I won't be seeing it till Friday morning.

That being said I'm a huge Han Solo fan. He's my favorite by far. And I'm a huge Ron Howard fan. So I'm trying to check my expectations at the door.

My son loves Han and my daughter loves Chewie & the Falcon, so they're pumped.
    "Always listen to the crazy scientist with a weird van or armful of blueprints and diagrams." -- Vibranium

Why are people worried about 70 % RT score? That's way more then all DCEU films except Wonder Woman. Beauty and The Beast had a 70%. And it cracked a billion. I am not implying Solo will. Nor does it need to. But 70ish RT is a solid score.

RT is given a lot of importance. Metacritic is a better measure imo. And its 65 at present. For comparison Infinity War has 68. Wonder Woman 76. Rogue One 65.
    Last edited by Soubhagya; 05-17-2018 at 09:22 PM.

The low 70s RT score seems overly generous. There are quite a few reviews which are counted as Fresh but aren't all that glowing of endorsements of the film. The average rating is 6.5/10. Easily it could less than 65% if a few of those reviewers decided to go a little lower or C+ reviews were counted as rotten.

For example, this is one of the "Fresh" reviews: Jason Gorber Dork Shelf "So with Solo we get a backstory that manages moments of greatness while the rest of the film feels, well, "forced". That bad feeling I had about this seems to have been on target." C+

Another Fresh review Josh Larsen LarsenOnFilm "Chewbacca, I recognize. Lando Calrissian? He seems familiar. But this is not my Han Solo..." 2/4

Even the positive fanboys are just sort of "meh" about it like Charlie at Emergency Awesome: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZyxD0usmeeg. I think he says the words fine and serviceable about a dozen times.
    Last edited by ClanAskani; 05-18-2018 at 08:25 PM.

There are also at least 200 more reviews which will be uploaded next week so the RT could drop further.

Ethan van Sciver caught Rotten Tomatoes including positive Deadpool 2 reviews in with the Solo reviews and posted a YouTube video about it. I wonder if any negative Solo reviews are being added to Deadpool 2.

Quote Originally Posted by Soubhagya View Post
    Why are people worried about 70 % RT score? That's way more then all DCEU films except Wonder Woman. Beauty and The Beast had a 70%. And it cracked a billion. I am not implying Solo will. Nor does it need to. But 70ish RT is a solid score.

RT is given a lot of importance. Metacritic is a better measure imo. And its 65 at present. For comparison Infinity War has 68. Wonder Woman 76. Rogue One 65.
    The issue is context, the same people that give TLJ a 91% (a generally agreed upon not good film) are the same people giving this a B/C+. It could be that these are authentic reviews or it could be that the film is still being bumped up by people who will just favourably rate any Star Wars film.

High numbers don't really mean anything, the video game industry has been running on a review score that spans from 10 to 7 (and rarely dips any further) for decades now.
    #InGunnITrust, #ZackSnyderistheBlueprint, #ReleasetheAyerCut

BANNED

People really need to get over the idea that anybody cares about Rotten Tomatoes.

RT has been garbage for years.

Oddly, Fandango has been a go-to place for me because you have to have a verified purchase in order to review. So I think it's a closer rating for audiences, IMHO, than RT. Kinda like MC.
    "Always listen to the crazy scientist with a weird van or armful of blueprints and diagrams." -- Vibranium

In a weird way this is perhaps Disney's/Lucasfilm most "traditional" Star Wars film, I think. Male lead, seems to borrow quite a bit from his "legends" backstory (although part of that seems to be, in part, inspired by Lucas's own ideas for the character), and a director who is a colleague of Lucas's.
    chrism227.wordpress.com Info and opinions on a variety of interests.

https://twitter.com/chrisprtsmouth

Quote Originally Posted by Carabas View Post
    People really need to get over the idea that anybody cares about Rotten Tomatoes.
    Absolutely agree!!!
    Reliving my second childhood.... Making my TPB's take a back seat.....I'm now a new DC Omnibus and Hard Bound Book Collector: Batman: The Golden Age Omni V1 / Legends of the Dark Knight: Jim Aparo Vol. 2 / Gotham Central Omni / Justice League of America Silver Age Omni's V1 & V2 / Superman: The Golden Age Omni V1/ Green Lantern Omni V1
    with many more purchases soon to come.....

Rotten Tomatoes only matters when the movie you like have a high score. If not, then doesn't matter.
    "Never assign to malice what is adequately explained by stupidity or ignorance."

"Great stories will always return to their original forms"

"Nobody is more dangerous than he who imagines himself pure in heart; for his purity, by definition, is unassailable." James Baldwin

Quote Originally Posted by Thor-Ul View Post
    Rotten Tomatoes only matters when the movie you like have a high score. If not, then doesn't matter.
    Or if a movie you dislike has a low score. It really is just people trying to reach out to an objective standard to vindicate their tastes, people do the same with the box office now too.
    #InGunnITrust, #ZackSnyderistheBlueprint, #ReleasetheAyerCut

BANNED

If a small handful of pissed off fans can influence RT scores then RT scores have the value of a youtube comment.

BANNED

I have never cared about RT. It was Marvel/Disney fans that made it a thing and made it important. That been said, Last Jedi has finally blown the lid of Star Wars Disney movies. , critics now have to be more real no thanks to the Last Jedi effect.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Pinsir View Post
    The issue is context, the same people that give TLJ a 91% (a generally agreed upon not good film) are the same people giving this a B/C+. It could be that these are authentic reviews or it could be that the film is still being bumped up by people who will just favourably rate any Star Wars film.

High numbers don't really mean anything, the video game industry has been running on a review score that spans from 10 to 7 (and rarely dips any further) for decades now.
    Huh?

A lot of people love The Last Jedi.