Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Default Project: Restart Superman

Superman does not look to be the priority of WB studio right now. And understandably so. A task for all the Superman fans just for fun. Say WB decided to keep Superman at hold. Let some time pass before the next shot on the big screen. And they decide to restart with a new actor. Flashpoint/Reboot clears the slate and if one so chooses, one can start afresh say sometime in 2022. And what's more? There is no priority of connecting it to any extended universe. Its Superman. Plain and simple. If one chooses to connect, its fine. But if one chooses not to, its your choice. Full freedom to craft your Superman onscreen. You have as much power as Nolan had on Batman Begins.

Fans who don't want a new Superman different from Cavill may choose to tell a further story if they wish to. (Its Flashpoint. Choose to keep none or all of it). But even they may try something different for a film coming out in 2025. Say, Henry Cavill is playing James Bond and he is not returning to the role. 'Just make a new Superman film as you choose.' And have fun while doing it. Its your show.

Last edited by Soubhagya; 02-26-2018 at 03:47 AM.

^

I can understand the decision to wait, but 2022?? Well, I guess it will be animations up till then.....Cavill should make an excellent James Bond!

I simply gave an arbitrary year. When one can possibly have all the freedom one may ask for. What i intend for anyone participating is to simply make a film of your own choice. Before Flashpoint one can't possibly imagine this kind of freedom.

And yes Henry Cavill has a bright future. Dude's talented. He would make a fine James Bond. As well as anything else. He is not coming back in 2025. As he is playing Bond. An imaginary scenario. If its being difficult to think of anyone else playing the role. Some fans simply love him. And i can see why? He is excellent.
    Last edited by Soubhagya; 02-26-2018 at 04:02 AM.

BANNED

I'd ask people if they were interested in a directing a Superman movie, and hand the movie over to them if they were interested.

First up, Ava DuVernay and Debra Granik as collaborators.

Good choices. Its not possible to underestimate how women directors are being neglected. Patty Jenkins made 'Monster'. It was such an acclaimed film and won Charlize Theron an oscar. Had she been a male director she would have directed loads of films after that. But between Monster in 2003 and her next film Wonder Woman there's a gap of 14 years.

A talented director is always a good choice.

To be honest i wanted to see it in terms of story ideas and so on from fans. (If anyone wishes to write a screenplay. The thread exists. lol ). But your answer is crispy and is actually the way to do it. Just give it in the hands of a good storyteller, in this case the director.
    Last edited by Soubhagya; 02-26-2018 at 04:35 AM.

BANNED

I have ideas, but I'm not a writer or storyteller so It's better for me to give the opportunity to people that are, instead of me trying to string together my ideas to try and form a story.

Incredible Member

First thing: NO ORIGIN STORY. No Kyrpton blowing up, no Jor El, no Kents. He's an already established hero. Second Thing: KEEP THE TRADITIONAL LOOK. No costume redesign. Stop trying to reinvent the wheel or edgelord things. If you want to make a few meta jokes about the Trunks fine. Establish that Supes already knows he looks a bit ridiculous.... and that's by design. He doesn't need to come across as formidable as Batman or the warrior vibe as Wonder Woman. The movie should be called The Adventures of Superman to make it clear we're in for a fun ride.

The Detective Man The Dying Detective's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dolores - The Worst Poster Ever View Post
    I have ideas, but I'm not a writer or storyteller so It's better for me to give the opportunity to people that are, instead of me trying to string together my ideas to try and form a story.
    I have this idea for a Superman story that does adapt some elements from the Man of Steel movie. Instead of Zod being the main antagonist not at first anyway I'm saving him for later it will be Brainiac who has made some sort of deal with Lex Luthor. The central plot will involve Superman when he first comes to Metropolis the story will focus more on him as Clark Kent. While he will use his powers he will not appear as Superman so often mainly because I want to examine how he will do what he does in the confines of his civilian guise. And his first assignment is to investigate strange happenings around Metropolis with Lois Lane and Jimmy Olsen.
    "Excellent!" I cried. "Elementary," said he

Quote Originally Posted by beetee View Post
    First thing: NO ORIGIN STORY. No Kyrpton blowing up, no Jor El, no Kents. He's an already established hero. Second Thing: KEEP THE TRADITIONAL LOOK. No costume redesign. Stop trying to reinvent the wheel or edgelord things. If you want to make a few meta jokes about the Trunks fine. Establish that Supes already knows he looks a bit ridiculous.... and that's by design. He doesn't need to come across as formidable as Batman or the warrior vibe as Wonder Woman. The movie should be called The Adventures of Superman to make it clear we're in for a fun ride.
    Okay but how will you lay the foundation for it?

Okay let me try. I can't write a script or direct a movie. My role is that of a producer. Story idea and direction of the story by setting goalposts to achieve in a film. Getting a good director and writer would be fine. Good if there's a collaboration. One from films and one from comics.

For the first film i will keep it based on the first six issues of Grant Morrison's Action Comics New 52 run. That's the general idea of the story. Adapt that into a workable film. It helps to differentiate it from earlier films.

The film ends with him getting the costume. But not the ability to fly. Let's make it like the Fleischer shorts or Golden Age. I thought it was bad idea for Superman to not to fly. But then flying is no more a wonder as it once was. And by putting in restrictions in place one can become inventive in crafting unique action sequences.

I would hint that he can possibly fly. But that's for the sequels if i choose to explore. If its a huge success i may simply carry on with the golden age style. Otherwise, i plan to develop him over time. Both in terms of powers and character.

I would put in Easter eggs for a wider world. But that's where it ends for possible future films. Just make one good movie at a time. First one doesn't even have him in Superman costume till the end. Fighting for the oppressed and the poor. I think it works really well as a power fantasy. Who does not want to beat up bad guys and use powers for other's good once in a while?

It can have different layers too. Like paranoia. Or machines making people irrelevant.

I will ask them to try to put in Action Comics #0. 'The Boy Who Stole Superman's Cape'. I wish to start the film with this segment as James Bond films start with an unrelated action sequence. If its possible.

What makes it most delicious is writers can develop him as a character over a possible Superman trilogy. From a 'hothead' to the Superman i love.

Last edited by Soubhagya; 02-26-2018 at 07:08 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Dolores - The Worst Poster Ever View Post
    Fair enough. Let others run their imaginations wild. Sky is the limit. I am trying that myself.

Speak your ideas. That's what this thread is meant for.
    Last edited by Soubhagya; 02-26-2018 at 05:10 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by The Dying Detective View Post
    Okay but how will you lay the foundation for it?
    I feel that Superman does not need an origin in detail. People know it. Planet blew up. Adopted by farmers. Superman. Just put in scenes at the starting credits and/or mention the background by dialogue as Spider-man: Homecoming did.

Quote Originally Posted by The Dying Detective View Post
    I have this idea for a Superman story that does adapt some elements from the Man of Steel movie. Instead of Zod being the main antagonist not at first anyway I'm saving him for later it will be Brainiac who has made some sort of deal with Lex Luthor. The central plot will involve Superman when he first comes to Metropolis the story will focus more on him as Clark Kent. While he will use his powers he will not appear as Superman so often mainly because I want to examine how he will do what he does in the confines of his civilian guise. And his first assignment is to investigate strange happenings around Metropolis with Lois Lane and Jimmy Olsen.
    Good. All ideas are valuable and welcome.

Quote Originally Posted by beetee View Post
    A fun and more traditional take. I get it.

Quote Originally Posted by Soubhagya View Post
    I feel that Superman does not need an origin in detail. People know it. Planet blew up. Adopted by farmers. Superman. Just put in scenes at the starting credits and/or mention the background by dialogue as Spider-man: Homecoming did.
    My gripe with Homecoming is that it substituted Uncle Ben with Tony Stark to fuel Peter Parker's drive it's fine to just not tell the origin just don't ruin the character's main drive. Still what you said doe shave merit and it could be done as Clark spends his last day in Smallville before leaving for Metropolis.