Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Obsessed & Compelled Bored at 3:00AM's Avatar

Default Favorite cities / nations of the DCU

What is your favorite city / country?

I confess I like Gotham a lot more than I do Batman (who is awesome, but not as awesome as the city he lives in)

I was lukewarm on Markovia for a while, but Doomsday Clock has shown how cool an idea it is. I love Modoria, the tiny Eastern European / Former Soviet Union city-state ruled over by a luddite king usurped by Bito Wvaldon AKA Sonar, Master of Supersonic Sound! Johns teased some Sonar stuff during his GL run but we never got a full-on Sonar story.

I love what Johns did with Coast City as a military town, St.Roch as New Orleans-esque and the twin Cities of Keystone and Central City as blue-collar motor cities
    Last edited by Bored at 3:00AM; 07-08-2018 at 07:46 AM.

Savior of the Universe Flash Gordon's Avatar

The sovereign state of Atlantis

Opal City. It's infused with such a rich history that ties into numerous DC characters from various time periods. And while it's a cliche, this was a city that definitely was as much of a character in STARMAN as the human characters were.

I would never want to live there, but I thought they did a great job of creating Hub City in "The Question" series. The city was a great backdrop for the kind of stories O'Neil had to tell.

On the other hand, Coast City seems like a great place to live...

This is a nice thread. Some of my favs include:

Atlantis:

Themyscira:

Gorilla City:

We are the Dora Milaje. We are the daughters of the 18 tribes of Wakanda. We are the teeth of the Panther God. Out of 10,000 years of sweat and bloodshed and battle are we born. We are the women of this ancient land. Deadliest of the species. And our time has come!

Also: Smallville and Atlantis

I also would like to see more from:

Feithera:

Nanda Parbat:

We are the Dora Milaje. We are the daughters of the 18 tribes of Wakanda. We are the teeth of the Panther God. Out of 10,000 years of sweat and bloodshed and battle are we born. We are the women of this ancient land. Deadliest of the species. And our time has come!

Quote Originally Posted by j9ac9k View Post
    On the other hand, Coast City seems like a great place to live...
    When it's not getting blown up, that is .

Are there any stories that focus on the relationships between the various fictional DC nations? I know Flashpoint did focus on an Amazon/Atlantean War, and even had some Gorilla City thrown in as well. Are there any stories?

I've been fascinated by Khandaq since the 52 series. Not a place I'd ever want to live, but Black Adam loves his nation and truly cares for it, in his own weird way, and as long as you obey the law it seems like one of the safer, more stable countries in the region. And I find the relationship he has with his citizens intriguing; he's worshiped as a living god by many of his subjects, and that is something the real world hasn't seen in a very long time.

I'm likewise fascinated by the relationship between Darkseid and the lowlies of Apokolips. There was a scene in the DCAU where Clark beats Darkseid senseless, and the people of Apokolips come to Darkseid's rescue. It threw me as much as it threw Clark, and the social structure of Apokolips has become a point of interest for me ever since.

Opal, Keystone, and Suicide Slum are also some of my favorite cities (or borough, in the Slum's case). Lots of history and personality to all of them. I'd happily live in Opal or Keystone, and there are damn few cities in comics I could say that about.

Big fan of Slaughter Swamp and Nanda Parbat too. I get excited every time I even see Slaughter Swamp mentioned.

Obviously, you can't make a list of favorite locations without including Gotham. That city is just so well defined and built and conceptualized, it really has become a character in its own right. And Metropolis during the 90's triangle era was equally developed, with tons of minor characters and locations that really enriched the narratives. I felt like I knew Metropolis almost as well as my own hometown back then, and I think the lack of attention on Metropolis' residents over the last 15-20 years has really hurt the franchise.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

Gotham City. Particularly the Anton Furst's designs from B89. It should always look like a dirty, Gothic 1940s Hellscape

Gotham1.jpg

Gotham3.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images

Haven

Heroville

Superbia

Z'onn Z'orr

Quote Originally Posted by SiegePerilous02 View Post
    Gotham City. Particularly the Anton Furst's designs from B89. It should always look like a dirty, Gothic 1940s Hellscape

Gotham1.jpg

Gotham3.jpg
    That’s easily the best looking Gotham ever committed to screen.

Extraordinary Member Restingvoice's Avatar

Gotham, Atlantis, and Themyscira.
    Gotham has changed aesthetic so many times, I don't know which one I like best. I know I don't like the realistic Chicago look. The stand out one for me is Greg Pak's super gothic depiction in Batman/Superman #1 and the giant statues of Schumacher's Batman and Robin but I'm not sure which one is my favorite

16121b62b4d0a40c17c74070dc4b48ec._SX1280_QL80_TTD_.jpg
    Last edited by Restingvoice; 07-08-2018 at 03:06 PM.