Page 12 of 20 FirstFirst ... 28910111213141516 ... LastLast
    Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by Sacred Knight View Post
    But it was fun discussion for a day. Cured my boredom, lol. I really wasn't that bothered. I argued against the idea but I wasn't mad or anything. I don't know if that's a good thing or a bad thing. Apathy with these things means less stress on me, but at the same time being apathetic means I don't really care as much anymore. I doubt I'll ever completely not care; I love comics, and Superman in particular, too much. But it sucks when you're not as invested.

In any case, they're doing SOMETHING in 2020. Which will probably include changes. I mean, Snyder's Justice League run, which is huge in multiversal themes, is said to be a two year story. 2020. So yeah, Some sort of Crisis level event pretty much begs to happen at this point, even without the BC rumors.
    Even if thats the case, i hope it's a thing like "Justice Crisis" when the League collapses after turning on itself, leaving the continuity as it is.

Bring on the changes
    I stopped following D C and Marvel on a week to week bases a year ago.
    Since I have been picking up hard and soft cover collected editions with
    Material published over the past 80 years. I have so little now and so
    much I want to buy and still so much more I want to read, that
    D C and Marvel could stop making new stories and just release past
    material and I would have more than enough material to keep me happy
    for a long time.........
    But the cool thing is they are and will continue to make new stories and
    and from that I will find a few gems and I will read them in a few days and
    not stretched over six months to a year.

Extraordinary Member superduperman's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Last Son of Krypton View Post
    Rich's clarification on yesterday's rumors: https://www.bleedingcool.com/2018/05...re-ridiculous/
    Well, that's...confusing. While it's true that DC hates to use the term "reboot" that doesn't necessarily rule out that being what it is. New 52 wasn't called a reboot yet that's clearly what it was. Ditto Rebirth. Maybe this thing isn't as far along as people think? Maybe it's just something they're still hashing out? Maybe we're looking at less COIE and more Zero Hour? Maybe someone made a joke that got out of hand? There's a whole slew of possibilities here. DC has a history of trying to cover up it's reboots. That having been said, there's no financial incentive to do this. Rebirth seems to be going fairly well. Especially for Superman. We still don't know who this "source" is. It could just be one person causing trouble. But with Diane Nelson and Geoff Johns out of the way, Didio has a much freer hand now than he did before. So who knows.
    Assassinate Putin!

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by superduperman View Post
    Well, that's...confusing. While it's true that DC hates to use the term "reboot" that doesn't necessarily rule out that being what it is. New 52 wasn't called a reboot yet that's clearly what it was. Ditto Rebirth. Maybe this thing isn't as far along as people think? Maybe it's just something they're still hashing out? Maybe we're looking at less COIE and more Zero Hour? Maybe someone made a joke that got out of hand? There's a whole slew of possibilities here. DC has a history of trying to cover up it's reboots. That having been said, there's no financial incentive to do this. Rebirth seems to be going fairly well. Especially for Superman. We still don't know who this "source" is. It could just be one person causing trouble. But with Diane Nelson and Geoff Johns out of the way, Didio has a much freer hand now than he did before. So who knows.
    Uhhhh???? yes it was

Quote Originally Posted by Elmo View Post
    Uhhhh???? yes it was
    Jim Lee wasn't calling it a reboot at the time. That's probably why he is telling that.
    Favorite characters:
    5 DC- Roy Harper, Donna Troy, Helena Bertinelli, Dinah Laurel Lance and Big Barda
    5 Marvel- Jean Grey, Richard Rider, Natasha Romanoff, Clint Barton and Angelica Jones

Pull List:
    X-Men Red, X-Men Blue, Old Man Hawkeye, Marvel Two-in-One, Aquaman, Mister Miracle, Mera Queen of Atlantis, The Terrifics and some more.

That having been said, I can think of a couple reasons why they might do this:

1) Warners mandated it to make the comics more in line with the movies. I've suggested this on the Superman thread and it's not the most ridiculous theory. Marvel is already doing this so it stands to reason Warners would want the same thing with their comics division.

2) Rebirth has a bunch of continuity problems that don't have easy solutions. Superman may have been brought back to his pre-Flashpoint form (or whatever version we have now) but the rest of his cast wasn't. For at least a year the rest of the cast was still running around as their New 52 selves. This creates it's own set of problems when you realize that the first year's worth of Rebirth Superman stories couldn't have happened the way we saw. How did Lana become Superwoman? Was she ever Superwoman? Lana confronts Rebirth Superman at New 52's grave. That entire story couldn't have happened now. Lex, Perry, the entire Planet staff, anything involving New 52 cast members is now gone without an explanation. For all intents and purposes, the first year of Rebirth never happened. This needs to be addressed. Rebirth may have brought back a married Superman but it couldn't have been handled more clumsily or more stupidly.
    Assassinate Putin!

Quote Originally Posted by Elmo View Post
    Uhhhh???? yes it was
    Not at first. They tend to own up to this stuff well after the fact. It was a good year before they admitted that Birthright was meant to replace MOS as Superman's official origin. And even then it was only after people complained and pointed out the obvious contradictions. When I first heard that Grant Morrison was working on a Superman with Golden Age power levels, it was in the context of a sequel to All Star. They kind of go out of their way to hide this stuff because they know it will piss off fans. If they aren't planning a wholesale reboot, it would be interesting to know what this source at DC told BC exactly and how it got interpreted as a reboot.
    Assassinate Putin!

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by superduperman View Post
    That having been said, I can think of a couple reasons why they might do this:

1) Warners mandated it to make the comics more in line with the movies. I've suggested this on the Superman thread and it's not the most ridiculous theory. Marvel is already doing this so it stands to reason Warners would want the same thing with their comics division.

2) Rebirth has a bunch of continuity problems that don't have easy solutions. Superman may have been brought back to his pre-Flashpoint form (or whatever version we have now) but the rest of his cast wasn't. For at least a year the rest of the cast was still running around as their New 52 selves. This creates it's own set of problems when you realize that the first year's worth of Rebirth Superman stories couldn't have happened the way we saw. How did Lana become Superwoman? Was she ever Superwoman? Lana confronts Rebirth Superman at New 52's grave. That entire story couldn't have happened now. Lex, Perry, the entire Planet staff, anything involving New 52 cast members is now gone without an explanation. For all intents and purposes, the first year of Rebirth never happened. This needs to be addressed. Rebirth may have brought back a married Superman but it couldn't have been handled more clumsily or more stupidly.

Didn't they sort of explain/recon the Superwoman issue in the aftermath of Superman Reborn ?

Black Belt in Bad Ideas Robanker's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ascended View Post
    But I also agree that if true, it's terrible f**king business. Rebooting again when current continuity is more of a vague idea than anything else? Getting rid of marriages (again!) when they went to so much gods damn effort to get Lois and Clark back together? If this does come to pass I'll likely be done with the company.
    My feelings as well. I think I took it harder because the New 52 really messed with a ton of what I loved about DC and made me quit a hobby I've loved since childhood for five years. Rebirth made me come back and I've been buying some of what I missed while going forward. The notion that it's working, but they're going to toss it out again was what it took for me to realize I can't keep rebooting.

When I really got into reading DC before Infinite Crisis, having been casual beforehand, the long history and deep dives were what drew me in further. Constantly kicking it all aside and trickling what I love back in is just not something I can keep doing. Constant reboots show no real respect to the customer, especially in a write-for-trade format where some characters get two complete stories per year in the form of a six-part arc. Not to mention, rebooting to get away from something (legacy, marriage) shows reluctance to ever go down that path again. There's no Will-They-Won't-They when you know DC will reboot if they will. There's no questioning if a sidekick will ever permanently graduate to their mentor's role because one truly did in Wally and we all have seen how rough his ride's been of late.

I fully understand that it's a rumor and as such, a strong reaction isn't exactly rational, but it's so monumentally stupid I can't help but flip a table over it. What message does a reboot/relaunch/etc send to your prospective customers at this point? "Third mulligan this decade's the charm, no really, buy in?"

The Detective Man The Dying Detective's Avatar

What interest me is Snyder's own words about what Lee said. If there was a reboot logically it means all the stuff he planned for Justice League would go down the toilet. And looking at how much power Snyder has to the point of being in total control of editorial I don't think there is one because no way is he going to let all the work he did go to waste like it did with the New 52 unless DC has denial issues. Also the Rich Johnston actually admitted the source might not be a credible one lends to that. Also Snyder said his story is said to last until the end of 2019 believe which should in theory anyway culminate into Crisis. And then there's also their latest get Brian Michael Bendis to flush away his work would also be criminal.
    Last edited by The Dying Detective; 05-13-2018 at 04:49 AM.
    "Excellent!" I cried. "Elementary," said he

Astonishing Member

I am surprised that this "event" is supposed to be published in 2020. If anything you'd think they would wait to do something in 2021 to celebrate the 10th anniversary of the New52.

Another point that I wish to address is the possible edict from Warner Bros to have synergy between the comics and the movies. If Warners wanted the comics to mirror the movies, why wait until 2020 to do it? If they wanted them to match it would have occurred already. So it can't be that.

Quote Originally Posted by Kirby Krackle View Post
    Still waiting on Doomsday Clock to end.
    maybe in 2019

Quote Originally Posted by Assam View Post
    Trey, I know you REALLY don't care about facts, but with the exception of two years at the turn of the millenium, Marvel has almost always had the larger market and unit shares and the recent years haven't been any different.

And any writer who thinks marriage gets in the way of stories is an uncreative hack.
    I guess that makes Roger Stern and Kurt Busiek hacks then (among MANY others).

Quote Originally Posted by joebleau View Post
    maybe in 2019
    That's being optimistic . . .

Quote Originally Posted by Somecrazyaussie View Post
    Another point that I wish to address is the possible edict from Warner Bros to have synergy between the comics and the movies. If Warners wanted the comics to mirror the movies, why wait until 2020 to do it? If they wanted them to match it would have occurred already. So it can't be that.
    I'd be more likely to believe WB wants movie synergy if the movies were actually successful.

If WB really said "Hey, you know those movies we've really struggled with that haven't been successful? Let's make the print division, which has struggled for ages, copy it! Two wrongs make a right and this'll be amazing!!" then I'm out for good.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.