Page 18 of 20 FirstFirst ... 814151617181920 LastLast
    Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Stone View Post
    I like team titles more than solo books (especially at current prices), but my choices since Rebirth (since New52 even) have been pretty slim.

I was reading Titans but dropped it. It had gotten to the point that I was only buying it to keep up with other posters, and not really enjoying it.

And the only books that have interested me since then are Terrifics and the new Justice League titles, all of which are involved with the metafiction from Metal, Doomsday Clock or Oz. I'm just waiting for the first Terrifics trade to hit Hoopla so I can read it snd see how balanced the story/character dynamics is before I buy any.
    That makes sense. I will agree in the spirit of your argument as DC is certainly pushing those concepts.

Astonishing Member

Jewel thieves, bank robbers, organized crime, terrorists, blackmailers, murderers and kidnappers are probably having a field day in the DCU... because the heroes are too busy trying to figure out the universe and if they even exist in it or not.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bromor View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by cranger View Post
    My point was that the heroes they do have are too busy involved in stories that deal with DC's metafiction to actually fight any crime, much less non-super-powered crime.
    My point is that they are not. I am curious what books you are reading now or have tried since at least Rebirth to be under that impression. I've seen a few plots that tied into the mystery villain such as Mr Oz but, while those ones grabbed the attention, most books did not address any of that stuff at all.
    I think it was a joke....
    It may be a joke, but I understand the feeling. The multiverse suddenly feels so big and intimidating.

With all these big scale stories, I too would like a smaller Bat-Hero(ine) versus the Villain(ess) of the week story.

Quote Originally Posted by scary harpy View Post
    It may be a joke, but I understand the feeling. The multiverse suddenly feels so big and intimidating.

With all these big scale stories, I too would like a smaller Bat-Hero(ine) versus the Villain(ess) of the week story.
    The constant reshuffling and redrawing of continuity turns special and epic reality shifting into the mundane. Defining a set continuity is the new special event. Stories in that reality are the goal, but unless we get a set continuity those stories are nothing but a mirage in the desert of ubiquitous reality shuffling.

So odds are they’re gonna give Bendis the next Crisis. It remains to be seen if the move to DC has sparked his creativity because he seemed totally tapped out by the time he left Marvel. Sometimes getting to play with a new set of characters can work wonders for a writer. Here’s hoping that’s the case.

Obsessed & Compelled Bored at 3:00AM's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Robotman View Post
    So odds are they’re gonna give Bendis the next Crisis. It remains to be seen if the move to DC has sparked his creativity because he seemed totally tapped out by the time he left Marvel. Sometimes getting to play with a new set of characters can work wonders for a writer. Here’s hoping that’s the case.
    I think it's more likely to be a collaboration between Snyder, King, and Bendis.

Extraordinary Member superduperman's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Robotman View Post
    How much did they promise this guy in order to get him? And will the fans support yet another reboot? I can't imagine they will. If this is more a multiverse thing and less of a mainstream universe thing, then it might not be a big deal. But if this is yet another hard, New 52 style, reboot, then that might be a problem.
    Assassinate Putin!

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Bored at 3:00AM View Post
    Keep in mind that Didio and Lee also claimed the New 52 was not a reboot either, when it most definitely was.
    Actually thats not true strictly speaking. It wasnt a reboot, it was a new timeline. With the old timeline still being around but not being writen.

Quote Originally Posted by Mataza View Post
    Keep in mind that Didio and Lee also claimed the New 52 was not a reboot either, when it most definitely was.
    Actually thats not true strictly speaking. It wasnt a reboot, it was a new timeline. With the old timeline still being around but not being written.
    A new timeline that eliminated/altered how many characters and past events?
    Hell, they couldn't even figure out what was and what wasn't still in play at the beginning [see: TEEN TITANS]. And since I doubt they planned the Convergence/Rebirth changes/revisions at the very beginning of the New52, it looked more like a "reboot" than anything else.

Extraordinary Member superduperman's Avatar

What are the odds this is even really happening? BC also said that they were getting rid of all the marriages and Jim Lee personally shot it down. What if there's nothing to this either?
    Assassinate Putin!

Quote Originally Posted by superduperman View Post
    What are the odds this is even really happening? BC also said that they were getting rid of all the marriages and Jim Lee personally shot it down. What if there's nothing to this either?
    There's probably something that will be coming, but not what many people would be bothered by if it wasn't this "RUMOR" crap right when there seem to be so many other things in the air right now.
    And the fact that DC these days is less-than-open about explaining changes in staff/direction for many of the currently published comic books doesn't help.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy View Post
    A new timeline that eliminated/altered how many characters and past events?
    Hell, they couldn't even figure out what was and what wasn't still in play at the beginning [see: TEEN TITANS]. And since I doubt they planned the Convergence/Rebirth changes/revisions at the very beginning of the New52, it looked more like a "reboot" than anything else.
    I think that was the problem with the new 52. Fans would have been a lot more open to a reboot than what we got.

Wiriting Bruces and Dicks first meeting, starting Barbaras career. Retelling how Hal got his ring. But also more than that, telling how Arthur made it to the throne beat by beat. Foreshadowing the introduction of newer characters.

Could have been fun.

Obsessed & Compelled Bored at 3:00AM's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mataza View Post
    I think that was the problem with the new 52. Fans would have been a lot more open to a reboot than what we got.

Wiriting Bruces and Dicks first meeting, starting Barbaras career. Retelling how Hal got his ring. But also more than that, telling how Arthur made it to the throne beat by beat. Foreshadowing the introduction of newer characters.

Could have been fun.
    I think Didio wanted to avoid simply redoing old stories like the Ultimate Marvel Universe did, which crashed and burned almost immediately after it started. The idea behind the New 52 was to reset the heroes early enough in their careers that everyone was still learning and not yet at their prime. Had creators been given a solid backstory that clearly outlined what had and hadn't happened in those 5 years since the League founded, it might have worked, but since nobody had any clue what was or wasn't in continuity anymore, the entire reboot had failed before it even began.

When you are creating a shared universe, you need a plan first and strong collaboration between everyone involved. Simply shotgunning 52 different titles out there all at once with no idea of the overarching universe's foundation was a key flaw they managed to avoid when Rebirth rolled around five years later.

. . . When you are creating a shared universe, you need a plan first and strong collaboration between everyone involved. Simply shotgunning 52 different titles out there all at once with no idea of the overarching universe's foundation was a key flaw they managed to avoid when Rebirth rolled around five years later.
    Really?
    Seems like nobody still has any clue as to what is and what isn't suppose to have been reintroduced into the continuity for Rebirth. They still leave everything vague and confusing.
    Last edited by MajorHoy; 05-25-2018 at 06:33 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy View Post
    Really?
    Seems like nobody still has any clue as to what is and what isn't suppose to have been reintroduced into the continuity for Rebirth. They still leave everything vague and confusing.
    Part of me thinks that maybe DC would benefit from having a line or imprint dedicated to continuing tales of past continuities.
    Like 'DC Icons', or something similar...

Then if a writer wanted to tell a story featuring the Satellite Era JLA, the Earth-2 JSA or Justice Society Infinity, the Wolfman Titans, the Levitz Legion, the Giffen/DeMatteis JLI, the DnA Legion, the Byrne Superman, the Miller Dark Knight Batman, the Miller Year One Batman, the Perez Wonder Woman, the Silver Age Teen Titans, the Fawcett era Captain Marvel, the Bronze Age Huntress, the original Outsiders, the original Doom Patrol, the Alex Ross Justice JLA, the Peter David Young Justice, Smallville, Teen Titans Go!, the Arrowverse, Injustice, Batman '66, Wonder Woman '77, the George Reeves Superman, the Christopher Reeve Superman, Lois & Clark, the Golden Age JSA, Justice League Detroit, the Grell Green Arrow, the O'Neil Green Lantern/Green Arrow, or any of the other iconic eras... they could do so.
    Just do them as mini-series, one-shots or OGNs. If they sell well enough, then the same writer can do a second and/or third story in that setting.
    "There's magic in the sound of analog audio." - CNET.

Hey Baby--Wha's Happ'nin? HandofPrometheus's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by superduperman View Post
    I think DC is smart enough to know that a reboot would put their company back onto the stone age.