Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast
    Invincible Member

Default Liking the "Wrong" Comics

This thread was inspired by CBR poster Carabas by way of John Byrne. Basically, make a case for any comic that was either controversial or maybe just you liked, but your friends didn't. Talk about how the "banned" EC Horror comics broke new ground or maybe you actually liked nu52 Hawkman or want to defend R. Crumb. Maybe you think that Mark Gruenwald's Squadron Supreme was better than Watchmen. Perhaps Brand New Day was needed in order to fix Spider-Man. Maybe you grew up loving Richie Rich but can't talk about it in front of your buddies who are Punisher fans.

BANNED

I grew up loving Archie comics. My mom used to get me a Double Digest (244 pages for 75 cents) when I would go to the grocery store with her.
    They were fun, especially seeing the way Archie and cast changed from the 40s to the late 70s.

Invincible Member

"Dark Knight Strikes Back". I think a lot of people expected a "straight" sequel to "Dark Knight Returns" and were put off by Frank Miller's satire. Not only did it take shots at the political climate of the time, it also gently mocked the superhero comics in general while loving the silver age/bronze age at the same time. The coloring doesn't age well but I actually like Frank's pencil style here which many folks couldn't stand. He's basically going for something that's somewhere between Robert Crumb and Jack Kirby and I think for the most part he pulls it off. I actually find the look of bent ear-stubble-broke tooth Batman kinda funny. Frank brutalizes Superman, but most of the other DC heroes he uses come off well. If you try to translate the politics or the implications of Batman's actions to the real world, it comes off as problematic, but I'd say in the world the that this comic takes place, it works narratively.

Last edited by ed2962; 11-20-2016 at 08:37 AM.

Invincible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Thrust View Post
    I grew up loving Archie comics. My mom used to get me a Double Digest (244 pages for 75 cents) when I would go to the grocery store with her.
    They were fun, especially seeing the way Archie and cast changed from the 40s to the late 70s.
    As a middle aged adult, I actually buy way more Archie comics than I did as a kid.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by ed2962 View Post
    "Dark Knight Strikes Back". I think a lot of people expected a "straight" sequel to "Dark Knight Returns" and were put off by Frank Miller's satire. Not only did it take shots at the political climate of the time, it also gently mocked the superhero comics in general while loving the silver age/bronze age at the same time. The coloring doesn't age well but I actually like Frank's pencil style here which many folks couldn't stand. He's basically going for something that's somewhere between Robert Crumb and Jack Kirby and I think for the most part he pulls it off. I actually find the look of bent ear-stubble-broke tooth Batman kinda funny. Frank brutalizes Superman, but most of the other DC heroes he uses come off well. If you try to translate the politics or the implications of Batman's actions to the real world, it comes off as problematic, but I'd say in the world the that this comic takes place, it works narratively.

DKSA is a piece of genius satire, with top notch storytelling and art.
    A lot of fans expected something like his 80s Batman work, but why would he regress? Miller had grown by leaps and bounds by the time DKSA was released.

BANNED

As a middle aged adult, I actually buy way more Archie comics than I did as a kid.
    I have tried the current Archie stuff, and I can't get into it. I am probably looking at it with my Dan DeCarlo nostalgia glasses, but what can you do?

Invincible Member

I have tried the current Archie stuff, and I can't get into it. I am probably looking at it with my Dan DeCarlo nostalgia glasses, but what can you do?
    I like and respect Jim Lee, but Dan DeCarlo was a way better comic book artist than Jim and a lot of other superstar artists.

BANNED

Fuck yes! This is a great comic, so misunderstood.

Old school comic book fan WestPhillyPunisher's Avatar

I like and respect Jim Lee, but Dan DeCarlo was a way better comic book artist than Jim and a lot of other superstar artists.
    I remember meeting Mr. DeCarlo once at a convention in New York City many years ago, sometime around the early 1990's. A nicer, friendlier man you could never meet.
    Avatar: Here's to the late, great Steve Dillon. Best. Punisher. Artist. EVER!

Invincible Member

Quote Originally Posted by WestPhillyPunisher View Post
    I remember meeting Mr. DeCarlo once at a convention in New York City many years ago, sometime around the early 1990's. A nicer, friendlier man you could never meet.
    It's terrible what Archie Comics did to him when the Josie and the Pussycats movie came out.

BANNED

Oh, no doubt. DeCarlo was as amazing and influential as Jack Kirby was, to be honest.
    Jaime and Gilberto Hernandez were influenced by DeCarlo as much as they were by Kirby, for example.

BANNED

It's terrible what Archie Comics did to him when the Josie and the Pussycats movie came out.
    I know. The company threw away an artist that was the style of their books, it was like Marvel shitting on Jack Kirby.

Invincible Member

Oh, no doubt. DeCarlo was as amazing and influential as Jack Kirby was, to be honest.
    Jaime and Gilberto Hernandez were influenced by DeCarlo as much as they were by Kirby, for example.
    I know DeClaro's name because of the Hernandez Bros...

BANNED

I know DeClaro's name because of the Hernandez Bros...
    Yeah, I remember reading one of the first interviews they gave and they were gushing about DeCarlo. I was like, Cool! They liked Archie like I did!

I like Rob Liefeld's stuff. I find he puts a lot of energy into his work, which a lot of "hot" artists these days don't seem to do.

I prefer the G.I. Joe comics that add more fantastic elements contrast the military aspects. I don't really like Snake Eyes as a character and I tend to think Larry Hama as one of the least interesting G.I. Joe writers.

The Adam West batman series is far more interesting than the modern Batman. (by the way, has anybody seen the new Return of the Caped Crusaders cartoon? It's fairly awesome.)