Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Gotham central

Default Gotham central

Hello. I know I am a bit late on this book by several years. But I just picked up some back issues of this book and I am really loving it. I bought the first 11issues and really enjoyed the joker arc. When the guy at the comic shop first described the book to me as a Batman tittle with out batman I thought he was crazy. But I gave it a try and really love it. Anyone els out there enjoy this tittle? Does the quality stay the same through the whole run or does it degrade and become unreadable?
    This Post Contains No Artificial Intelligence. It Contains No Human Intelligence Either.

Quote Originally Posted by tbaron View Post
    Hello. I know I am a bit late on this book by several years. But I just picked up some back issues of this book and I am really loving it. I bought the first 11issues and really enjoyed the joker arc. When the guy at the comic shop first described the book to me as a Batman tittle with out batman I thought he was crazy. But I gave it a try and really love it. Anyone els out there enjoy this tittle? Does the quality stay the same through the whole run or does it degrade and become unreadable?
    One of the great DC series of recent decades. Yes you can read on with confidence the quality is maintained throughout.

Sad day when it ended, Ed Brubaker went over to Marvel, and Greg Rucka thought it would be wrong to keep series going without his co-writer. (NB Don't know if you've noticed it yet, but one wrote the day shift stories, the other the night shift. Can't for life of me remember which way round it was.)

Once you've finished if you're looking for similar material Ed Brubaker's Catwoman series was similarly good. Or if you fancy a story set outside DC super heroes then Greg Rucka's "Queen and Country" is excellent (it's a story about British secret service spies.)

I gotta finish that one day, I only read like 3 issues. Sadly it's buried in my infinite backlog
    Reading List (Super behind but reading them nonetheless):
    DC: Currently figuring that out
    Marvel: Read above
    Image: Killadelphia, Nightmare Blog
    Other: The Antagonist, Something is Killing the Children, Avatar: TLAB
    Manga: My Hero Academia, MHA: Vigilanties, Soul Eater: the Perfect Edition, Berserk, Hunter X Hunter, Witch Hat Atelier, Kaiju No. 8

see beauty in all things. charliehustle415's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by JackDaw View Post
    One of the great DC series of recent decades. Yes you can read on with confidence the quality is maintained throughout.

Sad day when it ended, Ed Brubaker went over to Marvel, and Greg Rucka thought it would be wrong to keep series going without his co-writer. (NB Don't know if you've noticed it yet, but one wrote the day shift stories, the other the night shift. Can't for life of me remember which way round it was.)

Once you've finished if you're looking for similar material Ed Brubaker's Catwoman series was similarly good. Or if you fancy a story set outside DC super heroes then Greg Rucka's "Queen and Country" is excellent (it's a story about British secret service spies.)
    Man, Greg Rucka and Ed Brubaker what an outstanding duo. Their Batman and Tec run were okay but, if Brubaker's Captain America run is for the ages as is Rucka's two Wonder Woman runs

Astonishing Member Darkspellmaster's Avatar

Maybe one day we can get that series back. I remember loving it when it was coming out, and I was sad when it ended.

BANNED

As others have said, GC is a consistently great book and you don't have to worry about the quality dropping.

If you haven't read it already, and are interested in seeing where Renee's story goes from the ending of this book, you're gonna want to check out 52. There are a bunch of storylines in that book, nearly all of them being amazing and as a whole it's among the best things DC's ever published, and Renee is the main character in one of them, her storyline being written by Rucka.

Spectacular Member

definitely pick up the omnibus if you can, massive massive massive book and well worth the price tag
    Check Out My Batman Canon Read Through And Review Here, From Year One all the way to Rebirth

Batman Canon Read Through And Review

I'm Also On Patreon. This all goes towards buying new graphic novels so if you like my reviews please pledge whatever you can. Thank you.

Deffinition Patreon

Quote Originally Posted by Darkspellmaster View Post
    Maybe one day we can get that series back.
    It was a great series, and I'd love to see DC revive it (or at least have a series focusing on Harvey Bullock and others in the Gotham City Police Department), but who DC would get to do the writing and the artwork these days?

I agree with the consensus here...great book from beginning to end.

Spectacular Member swing kinker's Avatar

Wonderful series.
    https://www.bigglasgowcomicpage.com/.../kinkerkorner/ My pop culture lists. Got an idea for a list? Gimme a shout.

It is one of my favorite series.

Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy View Post
    It was a great series, and I'd love to see DC revive it (or at least have a series focusing on Harvey Bullock and others in the Gotham City Police Department), but who DC would get to do the writing and the artwork these days?
    I'd like to see DC bring in a crime novelist, and see what they could do with the series.

Alternatively, if they wanted to work with an existing writer, Mairghread Scott impressed me as someone who could do a police procedural in her Batgirl work so far. Especially the annual.

And there's always Tom King.

Quote Originally Posted by DearMachine View Post
    I'd like to see DC bring in a crime novelist, and see what they could do with the series.
    They had Duane Swierczynski writing the New52's (Batgirl & The) Birds of Prey for about a year-and-a-half, but then it suddenly ended.
    It may be tough for DC to sync their needs with the schedule/desires of non-comic book crime novelists.

Quote Originally Posted by DearMachine View Post
    . . . And there's always Tom King.
    I'd rather go with Scott Lobdell or Rob Liefeld then Tom King!

Quote Originally Posted by Deffinition View Post
    definitely pick up the omnibus if you can, massive massive massive book and well worth the price tag
    By the way, does the Omnibus have any stories from after Gotham Central #40 involving the Major Crimes Unit?

Is the three-issue Crisis Aftermath: The Spectre series (with Crispus Allen becoming the host for The Spectre) collected anywhere? (I know Renee Montoya's post-Gotham Central story is one of those that was featured in the weekly series 52.)

I loved the series and ended up getting the trades to have it all together instead of all the single issues.
    Beth Hart - Fire On The Floor CD Review

Beth Hart February 23rd, 2017 Boston, MA Concert Review

"I can't complain. I got to be Jim Morrison for the first half of my life, and Ward Cleaver for the second half." - Warren Zevon.

a quieter moment from Gotham Central #1 (early February 2003)