Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Gotham central

Mighty Member

Gonna join the consensus and say it's a fantastic book. One of the best DC books in the past 20 years imo. It's a book I always recommend to people who don't read a lot of comics, because it's pretty self contained and creates an engaging environment all of it's own. The art is a perfect match and the writing is super tight and clicks together perfectly. A huge cast of varied characters who are interesting for different reasons... I could go on about this title.

I would love for them to bring it back and (if I'm just going dream picks) have Remender, Azzarello, Cates or Carey write it. More realistic picks would be Simone, Williamson and Orlando.

In the February 2022 solicitations,

GOTHAM CENTRAL OMNIBUS
    Written by ED BRUBAKER and GREG RUCKA
    Art and cover by MICHAEL LARK
    $99.99 US | 968 pages | 7 1/4" x 10 7/8" | Hardcover
    ISBN: 978-1-77951-563-6
    ON SALE 4/12/22
    Offered again! Grizzled police veteran Harvey Bullock, Captain Maggie Sawyer, Detective Renee Montoya, and the rest of the GCPD are the law force that stands between order and complete anarchy in Gotham City. In this modern crime noir, Gotham's Finest work around the clock to not only keep the world's most dangerous criminals off the streets…but also to clean up the mess left behind by Batman's vigilantism. Collects the full 40-issue series.
    https://www.cbr.com/dc-comics-solici...monkey-prince/

Droppin in to show support too.

Found the first trade at a library and looked into it. I was hooked seeing all this crazy crime drama sans Batman. I bought the trades and loved them.
    Le Suck it, Dolphin!

-God I am so tired.

SCOTT SUMMERS AND EMMA FROST DESERVED BETTER.

Astonishing Member

Great series, start to finish. Soft Targets and Half a Life the best arcs.

Just bumping this up since it's still listed for April 12th.
    Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy View Post

GOTHAM CENTRAL OMNIBUS
    Written by ED BRUBAKER and GREG RUCKA
    Art and cover by MICHAEL LARK
    $99.99 US | 968 pages | 7 1/4" x 10 7/8" | Hardcover
    ISBN: 978-1-77951-563-6
    ON SALE 4/12/22
    Offered again! Grizzled police veteran Harvey Bullock, Captain Maggie Sawyer, Detective Renee Montoya, and the rest of the GCPD are the law force that stands between order and complete anarchy in Gotham City. In this modern crime noir, Gotham's Finest work around the clock to not only keep the world's most dangerous criminals off the streets…but also to clean up the mess left behind by Batman's vigilantism. Collects the full 40-issue series.
    https://www.cbr.com/dc-comics-solici...monkey-prince/

I'm at least a C-Lister! exile001's Avatar

This is one of the greatest Batman books of all time and the natural successor to one of my favourite eras (Rucka/Brubaker/Grayson with Martinborough/McDaniel/Robinson, etc). I re-read GC every year or two.

To this day Ed Brubaker, Greg Rucka and Michael Lark are names that will make be buy a book and I am never disappointed. Lazarus has Rucka and Lark working together and is fantastic.
    "Has Sariel summoned you here, Azrael? Have you come to witness the miracle of your brethren arriving on Earth?"

"I WILL MIX THE ASHES OF YOUR BONES WITH SALT AND USE THEM TO ENSURE THE EARTH THE TEMPLARS TILLED NEVER BEARS FRUIT AGAIN!"

"*sigh* I hoped it was for the miracle."

Dan Watters' Azrael was incredible, a constant delight and perhaps too good for this world (but not the Forth). For the love of St. Dumas, DC, give us more!!!

Astonishing Member signalman112's Avatar

Near Mint Condition has a video review on YOUTUBE.

Astonishing Member

Best Batman (non-Batman) book of all time.

Yes, Rucka and Brubaker's runs on Batman and Tec will give you similar vibes, though different. They're more or less set immediately prior to Gotham Central. And then Catwoman continues to give you similar vibes, and is set afterward. One of the strengths is the caliber of artists that give this period, the "New Gotham" period, its consistency. Michael Lark is probably the ace in the hole in this regard, but then Darwyn Cooke on Catwoman really carries that baton, and all the other artists in these titles maintain this kind of vibe and look, sort of a hard-boiled noir, Batman: Year One, David Mazzuchelli tone to everything (although there is plenty of places where it opens up and gives some super-heroic or vintage Batman panels, too - just not so much in Gotham Central, which always remains grounded).

And then! Then if you're wanting to keep the train going, you can start reading various Huntress stuff, Rucka & Williams's Batwoman run. And then a swatch, an assortment of The Question stuff. And some things will indeed carry over. These are tougher generally to read all in one go, especially the Question stuff, because a lot of them found their existence in special issues, singles and two-parters that were parts of various events.
    Retro315 no more. Anonymity is so 2005.
    retrowarbird.blogspot.com

small press afficionado matt levin's Avatar

Began a re-read of the first ten issues... it's been a long time, and I'm really glad to make the re-acquaintanceship. But what's this? It goes on, went on without me? So now I'm on a run, new back issues up through 36 and the rest on order.
    Age/Bronze, Age/Reptiles, Alex&Ada, Anne Bonnie, Astro City, Bone, Briggs Land, Cerebus, Criminal, Courtney Crumrin, Eleanor & the Egret, Fables, Fatale, Fell, Grass Kings, Green Valley, Goon, Gotham Midnight, Groo, Hellboy, Hillbilly, Incognegro, Jack Staff, JL8, Jonah Hex, Kane, Lazarus, Little Nemo, Lone Wolf, Next Wave, Popeye, Powers, Princess Ugg, Resident Alien, SiP, Squirrel Girl, Stray Bullets, 10G, Thief of Thieves, Tuki, Uncle Scrooge, Usagi, Velvet

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Batman Begins 2005 View Post
    Great series, start to finish. Soft Targets and Half a Life the best arcs.
    ^ This right here sums it up nicely.
    A highly recommended read.

I really wish someone would make a show of this. it would have been a heck of a lot better then Gotham or Batwoman. I thought I heard something about someone starting the process for a tv show but I havnt heard anything in a long time about it.
    This Post Contains No Artificial Intelligence. It Contains No Human Intelligence Either.

Quote Originally Posted by signalman112 View Post
    Near Mint Condition has a video review on YOUTUBE.

Did you all know that this omnibus is partially incomplete?
    There were some Back-up stories published in Detective Comics around the same time.
    They are included in the French edition but not the English !?

• Josie Mac: Lost Voices - Detective Comics #763-772
    • Josie Mac: Trading Up - Detective Comics #784

Quote Originally Posted by jb681131 View Post
    Did you all know that this omnibus is partially incomplete?
    There were some Back-up stories published in Detective Comics around the same time.
    They are included in the French edition but not the English !?

• Josie Mac: Lost Voices - Detective Comics #763-772
    • Josie Mac: Trading Up - Detective Comics #784
    But those Josie Mac stories weren't written by Brubaker and Rucka.

They were by written Judd Winick with art by Cliff Chiang, and didn't they take place before she moved over into the Major Crimes Unit in Gotham Central?

Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy View Post
    But those Josie Mac stories weren't written by Brubaker and Rucka.

They were by written Judd Winick with art by Cliff Chiang, and didn't they take place before she moved over into the Major Crimes Unit in Gotham Central?
    True, but at the end of her solo story, she joins Gotham Central. You could see it as a prequel.
    I think it fits well with Gotham Central. Artwise it's not too far off, and storywise it's similar.
    And it's collection nowhere else, here would be the appropriate place.

Astonishing Member batnbreakfast's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by babyblob View Post
    I really wish someone would make a show of this. it would have been a heck of a lot better then Gotham or Batwoman. I thought I heard something about someone starting the process for a tv show but I havnt heard anything in a long time about it.
    Last I heard/read about it its still coming but is now less Gotham Central and more Arkham Asylum