Amazing Member

Default New 52: Reading suggestions between Multiversity and Darkseid War

I am working my way through New 52 with the goal of getting to Convergence. Does anyone have any suggestions on what to read in-between Multiversity and Darkseid War? (Future's End and World's End have both been read already) Or should I just go straight from Multiversity to Darkseid War? Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by skrilmps View Post
    I am working my way through New 52 with the goal of getting to Convergence. Does anyone have any suggestions on what to read in-between Multiversity and Darkseid War? (Future's End and World's End have both been read already) Or should I just go straight from Multiversity to Darkseid War? Thanks!
    Well did you read:
    * Trinity War
    * Forever Evil
    * Forever Heros
    * Forever Evil: Blight
    * Injustice League / Amazo War

Amazing Member

Yes I've been going through New 52 in order, mainly following the Justice League and related stories. I read all of the Trinity War and Forever Evil crossovers as well, plus Injustice League.

I guess my question essentially is... if I go straight from Multiversity to Darkseid War, will I be missing anything?

Yes I've been going through New 52 in order, mainly following the Justice League and related stories. I read all of the Trinity War and Forever Evil crossovers as well, plus Injustice League.

I guess my question essentially is... if I go straight from Multiversity to Darkseid War, will I be missing anything?
    I'd read Johns' whole run on JL if you weren't planning that already. So much of Darkseid War is seeded in the arcs that precede it. And it's maybe the only really great thing that came out of New 52. That art...

Quote Originally Posted by BatmanJones View Post
    I'd read Johns' whole run on JL if you weren't planning that already. So much of Darkseid War is seeded in the arcs that precede it. And it's maybe the only really great thing that came out of New 52. That art...
    I also liked what was done with Batman & Robin, the Justice League Dark, Swamp Thing and Animal Man.

Amazing Member

Thank you all for the suggestions.

I've been reading Johns' entire run on JL, and I've been enjoying it. Darkseid War is up next. I have also been reading the entire Justice League Dark run and liking that a lot.

Pretty much what has been said. Johns's entire run on JL is, in many ways, the main story for the N52 run. Swamp Thing and Animal Man are just awesome comics. Brian Azzarello's run on Wonder Woman was brilliant. Greg Pak and Aaron Kuder's run Action Comics was really cool. You might alos want to check out some of the Superman/ Wonder Woman stories (especially the first one 'Power Couple')

I'd say the main core of DC's output during phase 2 (post Forever Evil) prior to DCYou was geared towards headline crossover events reaching across whole lines of titles which can now be bought in one oversize trade paperback. Johns and Snyder are the real drivers of the line with their titles bubbling alongside while the rest is connecting in and around it. It's a period I really enjoyed because it's a real feat of collaborative story telling which gave me a real sense of shared continuity. This has been progressively toned down since the DCYou came in with a mantra of 'story over continuity' which has led to more standalone titles and offshoot imprints ever since.
    Not saying that these are necessarily the best stories that came out but this list is all the major crossovers and headline storylines with set ups for wider reaching effects on other titles.
    Quite a few feature New Gods or the multiverse so could be good backstory in a run up between Forever Evil and Darkseid War. From this list, except for the first 2, they're all happening in and around Multiversity/Worlds End/Futures End/Justice League vol 6 #30-39. The Earth One books and (dare I say it) the first 3 years of Injustice that I have read are also worth a look although they don't have any effect on anything else.

Batman: Zero Year
    Batman/Superman: Crossworlds
    Earth 2 vols 4-6 (1-3 are also good)
    Green Lantern: Lights Out
    Superman/Wonder Woman: Power Couple
    First Contact (BatmanSuperman/ Worlds Finest- Huntress And Powergirl
    Batman: The Hunt for Robin
    Supergirl: Red Daughter of Krypton (recommend reading Red Lanterns Vol 4: Blood Brothers first)
    Superman: Doomed
    Green Lantern: Godhead
    Batman: Robin Rises
    Batman: Endgame
    Superman Geoff Johns run #32-40

Amazing Member

Quote Originally Posted by BatfanReborn View Post
    Batman: Zero Year
    Batman/Superman: Crossworlds
    Earth 2 vols 4-6 (1-3 are also good)
    Green Lantern: Lights Out
    Superman/Wonder Woman: Power Couple
    First Contact (BatmanSuperman/ Worlds Finest- Huntress And Powergirl
    Batman: The Hunt for Robin
    Supergirl: Red Daughter of Krypton (recommend reading Red Lanterns Vol 4: Blood Brothers first)
    Superman: Doomed
    Green Lantern: Godhead
    Batman: Robin Rises
    Batman: Endgame
    Superman Geoff Johns run #32-40
    This is a very helpful list, thanks!

From the DCYou era I really recommend The Omega Men

It's insular, not really playing into continuity for the big books but its an awesome read.