Page 24 of 26 FirstFirst ... 1420212223242526 LastLast
    Extraordinary Member

Emma Frost.

She’s a villain. Not a reformed villain, not an antihero. She’s an Enchantress wannabe straight up evil bitch.
    If ten years of recording The Young and the Restless for my mother have taught me anything, it's that characters in serial dramas are always happily in love...until they're not

“The very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. Instead of altering their views to fit the facts, they alter the facts to fit their views...which can be very uncomfortable if you happen to be one of the facts that needs altering.” - the 4th Doctor

*sigh* This thread resurfaced again. Disappointing. I hate it with the passion of a thousand suns. Because here's the thing. It's offensive. Most characters in Marvel have a fanbase. Your insulting someone's taste when you attack a character they love. Just as no one would go into a Starbucks and announce a hatred of coffee to the consumer base of that Starbucks, no one should be discussing things they loathe about things other people fully enjoy. It's rude. And disrespectful. And selfish. Because it places your need to vent over others need to enjoy their fiction without negative input from a peanut gallery. What point does a thread like this serve other than getting people riled? I mean, no one is changing anyone's mind. Whenever I see people hate on my favorite character, I cast aspersions on that person's deplorably bad judgement and then love my fave character harder.

Just focus on what you love, shouldn't be hard. Presumably we're all here because we love comics. I'm sure there is something in them that you love.

Comics are an escape. And given the current state of the world, a much, much needed one. Let people have what little joy they can scrape together without having to be a freakin ant at a picnic, jesus.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by brettc1 View Post
    Aaron’s version of Odin - to me the worst rendering of the character ever.
    I know, right?

I dont hate any characters really. There are some I have less interest in of course. I have no interest in Deadpool for the most part.

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by pageturner View Post
    I dont hate any characters really. There are some I have less interest in of course. I have no interest in Deadpool for the most part.
    Hear that. If anything, the only thing that puts me off characters is oddly, some of their more militant fans and feat junkies.
    Hulk was a character I never much cared for, but the buzz over the current ongoing is seriously tempting me to change my mind.

Quote Originally Posted by j9ac9k View Post
    Scarlett Witch - she's almost always written as the living embodiment of the "women are dangerous because they're too emotional" trope. Her powers only serve to show how dangerous and out of control she is, because she can't handle her ****. They just heap one trauma on her after another and have her break down to show she's not to be trusted with her own power.
    This is why I hate the times they did this to her. Because 55 years of history but now she's only reduced down to those two storylines. I miss her being written as being strong because she's holding a fraction of the power of an elder god and how much that takes to keep that under control. She wasn't like this for most of her history. Marvel has just lost sight of her.
    Love is for souls, not bodies.

X-23 and Honey Badger, I'm old enough to remember when creating another clawed character that was related to Wolverine was confined to bad fan fiction.
    "The Marvel EIC Chair has a certain curse that goes along with it: it tends to drive people insane, and ultimately, out of the business altogether. It is the notorious last stop for many staffers, as once you've sat in The Big Chair, your pariah status is usually locked in." Christopher Priest

Hate is a strong word, and for the most part, there are few who I actively dislike, but...

Punisher: Now, this one is a little strange. I do hate what he stands for. In my opinion, a classic superhero will do everything they can not to kill even the worst monsters in this world. Frank obviously goes against all that. He just kills and sees the world in a very black and white way. The idea of redemption and forgivness are lost on him. He has simply become the thing he hates most, a mindless killer. The resaon I say it is strang is because I do like how there is a character like that in the Marvel world. He makes for a great foil against the superheros of the world, and has had some great stories (I love Greg Rucka's Punisher book) In a way, I suppose what I hate is how some people see him as being a hero, as if he is doing the morally right thing. Another thing I dislike is how easily accepted the superheroes of the world take him. They reluctently remember he is around sometime, yet never seen to put much effort into doing somthing about him.

Moon Girl: Its a shame. As a proud SJW, I should like the fact that Marvel added a PoC girl who is the smartest person in the world and has a pet dino... but I just cannot stand her. She has an arrogance around her that really makes her unlikable to me, and the way she treats Devil less as a patner and more as an anoying pet... yeah, I cannot stand her book.

Quicksilver: Now, normally I rather like the arrogance of characters like Quentin and Namor, but like Moon Girl I really dislike Pietro. Perhaps it's just because I have not read too much with him, but he lacks any redeeming features I find.

Havok: Granted, I was first introduced to him via his infamous Avenger speech & kinda being unsure about Northstars wedding, but even then I have not really seen anything that makes me think of him as more than a bland character.

CWII-Carol: Really Marvel? You decide to give Carol a starring role in a major event, and that role is... mindless fascist? Great one. Thanks for doing that to my third favorite character...

Deadpool: When he's not a one-note meme he can be a fascinating character. It's just a shame that the whole 'lol I Deadpool' aspect of his character seems to be the most popular.

Of course, all of the above is just my opinion! One of the great things about Marvel is that every character will have its own fans.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by capandkirby View Post
    *sigh* This thread resurfaced again. Disappointing. I hate it with the passion of a thousand suns. Because here's the thing. It's offensive. Most characters in Marvel have a fanbase. Your insulting someone's taste when you attack a character they love. Just as no one would go into a Starbucks and announce a hatred of coffee to the consumer base of that Starbucks, no one should be discussing things they loathe about things other people fully enjoy. It's rude. And disrespectful. And selfish. Because it places your need to vent over others need to enjoy their fiction without negative input from a peanut gallery. What point does a thread like this serve other than getting people riled? I mean, no one is changing anyone's mind. Whenever I see people hate on my favorite character, I cast aspersions on that person's deplorably bad judgement and then love my fave character harder.

Just focus on what you love, shouldn't be hard. Presumably we're all here because we love comics. I'm sure there is something in them that you love.

Comics are an escape. And given the current state of the world, a much, much needed one. Let people have what little joy they can scrape together without having to be a freakin ant at a picnic, jesus.
    Sorry if you find it offensive, but for me it's just a thread to vent. I prefer that people talk about their negative views in this kind of threads than in every thread of the forum, like 3 or 4 years ago. The topic is on the title of the thread: "Characters you hate". It's a trigger warning. if you are against every kind of negativity, just don't read it It's not against you, it's just a punching-ball between more positive topics.
    Last edited by lordozone; 07-17-2019 at 06:47 PM.
    I try to improve my english, feel free to correct me by DM if you see some mistakes !

Quote Originally Posted by capandkirby View Post

I am not bashing anyone for loving a character or saying they are in bad taste. I just wanted to create a thread for people to vent. People love who they love and hate who they hate. I think people should have a place to vent. If you dont like that you dont have to read or post on said thread.
    This Post Contains No Artificial Intelligence. It Contains No Human Intelligence Either.

Extraordinary Member Silver Fang's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by tbaron View Post
    I am not bashing anyone for loving a character or saying they are in bad taste. I just wanted to create a thread for people to vent. People love who they love and hate who they hate. I think people should have a place to vent. If you dont like that you dont have to read or post on said thread.
    Agreed. Everyone does not like the same thing. This thread is a nice place to vent. Though most of my vents are on the X-Books given how crappy my favorite characters tend to get treated in favor of the pet characters.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Watkins View Post
    i'm starting to hate symbiotes.
    I have hated them for a while...quick gimmick to super someone and they completely overpower them....need them to fight Hulk or Juggernaut...just bulk them up and "hey, presto" near Hulk level strength. Then add in the symbiotes are almost always psychotic. I liked when the Venom symbiote got healed in GoTG when bonded to Flash...but for some reason they just had to get off Flash and make it psychotic again.

If they kept certain rules about what the symbiotes could do and could not do...and maybe they they take on some of the traits of the host...they would be a little more palatable.

I used to be pretty "meh" on symbiotes. But the combination of the movie and the latest Venom series sold me on him and now he's one of my favorite characters.

Extraordinary Member

This is a great rant about Franklin Richards LOL

https://www.reddit.com/r/CharacterRa...p_little_kids/
    If ten years of recording The Young and the Restless for my mother have taught me anything, it's that characters in serial dramas are always happily in love...until they're not

“The very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. Instead of altering their views to fit the facts, they alter the facts to fit their views...which can be very uncomfortable if you happen to be one of the facts that needs altering.” - the 4th Doctor

BANNED

To me: "characters you hate...."
    because of the so-called 'writing' of so-called 'writers'