Page 23 of 26 FirstFirst ... 131920212223242526 LastLast
Results 331 to 345 of 385
  1. #331
    Take Me Higher The Negative Zone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Location
    Earth. (Unless I've been kidnapped by Skrulls)
    Posts
    2,124

    Default

    The Punisher- I understand that the character is popular but he suits better as an antagonist.

    Namor- Always a jerk, threatens the surface world a lot, likes married women.

    Basically, I hate these characters because they never seem to get what's coming to them. Though at least Namor was decapitated.

  2. #332
    Mighty Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2018
    Posts
    1,083

    Default

    The Phoenix Force: I'm biased towards the 90s Animated Series interpretation of the Phoenix. It truly is an excellent one to give a cosmic force character. The comics has the Phoenix Force have no character.

    Quentin Quire: He's a moron through and through despite being a "genius" and is uninteresting. When he finally gets off his ass to do something, he is just insanely frustrating to read.

    Glob Herman: He's an unfunny joke.


    Kitty Pryde: I used to like her, and then Bendis and X-Men Gold happened.

    Franklin Richards: I ignored him, liked him under Simonson and Hickman, and then Dan Slott destroyed all that by turning him into someone who has less dialogue choices than a Pokemon.

    Valeria Richards: Slott made her boring.

    Reed Richards: Civil War made him an asshole of the highest order and he still hasn't paid for it.

    Carol Danvers: We got off on the wrong foot when the first comic I picked with her in a memorable role was her beating up Julia Carpenter in front of her children during Civil War. I'm more neutral nowadays mostly because of that.

    Maria Hill: I wish MCU Maria hill would punch this Maria Hill hard enough to break through several layers of bone. I seriously cannot believe someone this lethally stupid made it this high up through SHIELD ranks.

    The Ultimate Mutants: Does the Ultimate X-Gene cause lethal stupidity? It would certainly explain how stupid, stupid, stupid these idiots are.

  3. #333
    Incredible Member kaimaciel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Location
    Portugal
    Posts
    622

    Default

    Carol Danvers - self-righteous and annoying
    America Chavez - she had potential during Young Avengers but became as boring as she is overpowered.
    Riri Williams - I get it, she's smart, but I would rather watch grass grow than reading about her again.

  4. #334
    Fantastic Member mikelmcknight72's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    266

    Default

    There are characterizations I find impossible to enjoy, but any character is one good writer away from being great. Mostly, I strongly dislike all the "deconstruction of a super-hero" characterizations that are so prevalent. Essentially, they've turned far too many heroes into anti-heroes. Anti-heroes are to comics as certain spices (salt, ginger, etc.) is to a recipe. Add too much and the dish becomes inedible. Some examples:

    Tony & Reed circa Civil War
    Carol circa Civil War II
    Scott - Increasingly post-possession to his death
    Charles - Starting with the Vulcan & Danger retcons
    The Illuminati members in multiple instances
    Steve around the final incursions

  5. #335
    Extraordinary Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    5,727

    Default

    Thanos. IMO, completely overblown and overexposed.

  6. #336
    Fantastic Member mikelmcknight72's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    266

    Default

    I definitely don't enjoy characters who display pointless "franchise a vs franchise b" enmity, behaving as if the characters are real people instead of the product of multiple writers with varying levels writing ability.

    Seriously....it is ok to like Scott and Steve, X-Men and Avengers, Start Wars and Star Trek, etc. Get the net!

  7. #337
    Mighty Member Panic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    1,978

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mikelmcknight72 View Post
    There are characterizations I find impossible to enjoy, but any character is one good writer away from being great. Mostly, I strongly dislike all the "deconstruction of a super-hero" characterizations that are so prevalent. Essentially, they've turned far too many heroes into anti-heroes. Anti-heroes are to comics as certain spices (salt, ginger, etc.) is to a recipe. Add too much and the dish becomes inedible.
    I totally agree with you. There is no character I hate for their own sake, just the way they are written. Particular hates are pet characters who have the characters around them written far below par so they don't rival the pet, and copy-cat characters that rely on duplicating another character's gimmick with just a "+1" variation, eg Red Hulk originally being a very minor tweak of the original with no visual difference but the colour, and a cranked-up power-set. But even the worst of these can become great characters in their own right under a writer who is willing to put the work in.

  8. #338
    Incredible Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Posts
    813

    Default

    I like all the characters, but there is some new (or old) characterizations that I dislike:

    Captain Marvel: I liked ,in parts, her old characterization (not the horrible rape stories or the multiple humiliations by Rogue). Like the best Marvel heroes, she was not perfect, has a lot of problems, sometimes has low self-esteem, but she tried to be the best and succeeed. For me, her new version represent what I dislike in White american feminism: Self-righteous, elitist, no introspection. I like her costume, though.

    She-Hulk: not fan of her new characterization, but I'm almost sure that it will not endure.

    Hawkguy: Loved the Fraction characterization. A street level hero, working class, who seemed a loser at first glance, sometimes stupid, but with a dark side, he always beat the odds and was the best at what he did, and it was sometime ugly. He reminded me of Ryo Saeba in City Hunter. Now he is just a has-been, who doesn't understand the new generation.

    American Chavez: Like Captain Marvel, she was very interesting at first but now she is too powerful and self-confident. The writers have forgotten that what make a good Marvel Super-hero is the Marvel method: a Hero need to have human flaws, doubts, that he overcome. he needs to be human.

    Deadpool: He was funny, but at the same times had a complex back-story and when he was serious, it was sad and brutal. Now, he is just clown who constantly break the fourth wall, and with no depth.

    Edit:
    Forgot Beast. He was fun, but he is now a traitor, who betrayd his own people and a mad scientist who almost destroyed the world with no repercussions.
    Last edited by lordozone; 07-15-2019 at 05:45 PM.
    I try to improve my english, feel free to correct me by DM if you see some mistakes !

  9. #339
    Astonishing Member Silver Fang's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2017
    Posts
    4,104

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by lordozone View Post
    I like all the characters, but there is some new (or old) characterizations that I dislike:

    Captain Marvel: I liked ,in parts, her old characterization (not the horrible rape stories or the multiple humiliations by Rogue). Like the best Marvel heroes, she was not perfect, has a lot of problems, sometimes has low self-esteem, but she tried to be the best and succeeed. For me, her new version represent what I dislike in White american feminism: Self-righteous, elitist, no introspection. I like her costume, though.

    She-Hulk: not fan of her new characterization, but I'm almost sure that it will not endure.

    Hawkguy: Loved the Fraction characterization. A street level hero, working class, who seemed a loser at first glance, sometimes stupid, but with a dark side, he always beat the odds and was the best at what he did, and it was sometime ugly. He reminded me of Ryo Saeba in City Hunter. Now he is just a has-been, who doesn't understand the new generation.

    American Chavez: Like Captain Marvel, she was very interesting at first but now she is too powerful and self-confident. The writers have forgotten that what make a good Marvel Super-hero is the Marvel method: a Hero need to have human flaws, doubts, that he overcome. he needs to be human.

    Deadpool: He was funny, but at the same times had a complex back-story and when he was serious, it was sad and brutal. Now, he is just clown who constantly break the fourth wall, and with no depth.
    I also hate that version. Especially ignorant "fans" complaining when writers like Bunn and Duggan make him serious again. Saying they expect a joke character to be funny, and others asking why he's so serious. Deadpool started serious, and he needed to stay that way. Daniel Way's one-note ass is what turned him into a loony toon.

  10. #340
    Incredible Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Posts
    813

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Silver Fang View Post
    I also hate that version. Especially ignorant "fans" complaining when writers like Bunn and Duggan make him serious again. Saying they expect a joke character to be funny, and others asking why he's so serious. Deadpool started serious, and he needed to stay that way. Daniel Way's one-note ass is what turned him into a loony toon.
    Bunn and Duggan was for me the best writers of Deadpool."The good the bad and the ugly" is a classic story. I don't hate the Daniel Way version, for the time it was a one-note but interesting character interpretation. The only problem was that a lot of other writers take this vision of the characters as the only one. And it's becoming boring.
    I try to improve my english, feel free to correct me by DM if you see some mistakes !

  11. #341
    Fantastic Member
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    459

    Default

    Steve Rogers: For someone that goes on about freedom and morality he's actually is a fascist & massive hypocrite. The moment things don't go his way and someone doesn't agree with him he immediately tries to bully them into submission regardless of whether they're actually in the right or not. Not to mention that he apparently doesn't have the stones to finish what he starts considering how he decided to cop out at the end of Civil War, effectively screwing over everyone that sided with him, just because he was uncomfortable with collateral damage. Mind you we're talking about someone who fought in WWII and should be rather familiar with the concept.

    Scott Summers: initially just a wuss Scott became a flat out doosh and then a full blown terrorist. We're talking about a guy that married his first wife just because he looked like someone else, neglected her while she was pregnant with his child for a team that didn't want him, abandoned said wife & child to get back with Jean, causing said wife to go insane and lead to pretty much every physical problem Cable has had, and then after all that cheated on Jean and saying it didn't count because it was a psychic affair. That's not counting constantly bullying his friends and abusing his powers whenever they disagree with him, launching a raid on Mutant Town to cover up the Maximoff's roles in Decimation, weaponizing children to serve his own ends, jeopardizing the planet to so the that Phoenix could come to earth after already destroying another planet on the off chance that it MIGHT revitalize the mutant population because it wasn't coming back fast enough for him, KILLING Prof X and then blaming being under the influence the Phoenix while doing it to shift the blame, etc.

    Jean Grey: manipulative woman who constantly abuses her powers to get her way and is one of the most legitimate threats to the planet.

    Carol Danvers: Power hungry individual who has no problem abusing her authority or her powers in the name of her agenda that absolutely cannot be trusted because she will very easily and casually turn on her friends without hesitation.

    Maria Hill: how and why she hasn't been taken out by her own people still amazes me.

  12. #342

    Default

    i'm starting to hate symbiotes.
    Quote Originally Posted by capandkirby View Post
    I thought I couldn't love Steve Rogers any more than I already do, but here he is, eating pizza with a fork, just like I do (the only correct way to eat pizza

  13. #343

    Default

    Silk. Silk. Silk.

  14. #344
    Extraordinary Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    7,277

    Default

    Valeria Richards, though a bit less now she is a teenager.

    Aaron’s version of Odin - to me me the worst rendering of the character ever.
    If ten years of recording The Young and the Restless for my mother have taught me anything, it's that characters in serial dramas are always happily in love...until they're not

    The very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. Instead of altering their views to fit the facts, they alter the facts to fit their views...which can be very uncomfortable if you happen to be one of the facts that needs altering. - the 4th Doctor

  15. #345
    Astonishing Member j9ac9k's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    4,029

    Default

    Scarlett Witch - she's almost always written as the living embodiment of the "women are dangerous because they're too emotional" trope. Her powers only serve to show how dangerous and out of control she is, because she can't handle her shit. They just heap one trauma on her after another and have her break down to show she's not to be trusted with her own power.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •