Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    BANNED

Default Rate MCU Thanos' HTH skills

Like it says on the tin.

I actually paid MONEY to watch Infinity War on Imax and drove nearly an hour and a half each way to do it. Felt rushed, but I can't complain. IMHO that was like the minimum amount of time to try and pull off something so epic, else many bladders would have asploded.

BUT.

What really got me was Thanos going Ip Man on Hulk, and I was like WTF this c*nt isn't just a brawler, thus c*nt can fight!

Hell, he looked better than Faora did when she was trying to beatdown Superman!

So I ask you this; in the world of movies at large and ignoring the IG as well as his natural attributes, how is Thanos as a fighter?

Dude was whooping on Hulk like Jason Bourne would whoop on an average goon. He was legit.

The strikes and especially the knee and toss were very MMA fighter esque.
    "At the end of the day, Arby is a pretty prolific poster proposing a plurality of proper posts for us."
    - big_adventure

Quote Originally Posted by The Arbiter View Post
    Dude was whooping on Hulk like Jason Bourne would whoop on an average goon. He was legit.

The strikes and especially the knee and toss were very MMA fighter esque.
    Yeah, pretty much....Thanos opened up a can o'whup ass (tm )....I mean, damn.
    "Sir, does this mean that Ann Margret's not coming?"
    ----------------------
    "One of the maddening but beautiful things about comics is that you have to give characters a sense of change without changing them so much that they violate the essence of who they are." ~ Ann Nocenti, Chris Claremont's X-Men.

He looked good, but then again he was fighting a crud brawler who, in his human form, literally tripped over his feet when trying to fight.

Rumbles Limbo Champion big_adventure's Avatar

To be fair, while Hulk never shows much high-end training or anything (naturally), he is quick as hell. Thanos fought him damn near as well as Thor does, and never tried anything stupid like grappling when he doesn't remotely have to. And proved that he was stronger and more durable to boot.

Thanos is good.

I have a feeling Hulk is going to "get back his win" in part 2. I hope not but it seems likely, especially given the set up in this movie. Some super angry version of Hulk is going to kick Thanos' ass. Probably

Quote Originally Posted by The Dork Knight View Post
    I have a feeling Hulk is going to "get back his win" in part 2. I hope not but it seems likely, especially given the set up in this movie. Some super angry version of Hulk is going to kick Thanos' ass. Probably
    I loathe the idea and fear it already.

Quote Originally Posted by The Dork Knight View Post
    This. Hulk fans suffered during part 1 lol. I'm expecting world breaker Hulk in part 2.
    "At the end of the day, Arby is a pretty prolific poster proposing a plurality of proper posts for us."
    - big_adventure

Why bother with Worldbreaker Hulk or Stormbreaker Thor when Captain Marvel’s going to be punching out moons and demolishing the MCU power curve?

The way Feige talks about CM, she might be the only heavy hitter to reach comic power levels.

EDIT: Wasn’t Genis-Vell the most powerful CM in the comics? My theory is that MCU Carol’s gonna get that scale of phenomenonal cosmic power. I only ever saw her on the EMH cartoon, where she was Thor/Hulk level maybe once or twice, then closer to Tony the rest of the time.
    Last edited by Harbinger19; 05-12-2018 at 02:18 PM.
    "What I sought, I could not obtain."

"This is a meaningless battle. We are two madmen engaging in senseless folley."

"I will kill, I will let live..."

--Genuine Fake Priest Kotomine Kirei

Astonishing Member Captain Morgan's Avatar

I'd say Thanos is better than most in the MCU but not as good as Thor, Cap, or Panther. That puts him at like... Bucky? Widow? Not sure exactly.

Actually, I'm going to go with Tony Stark, as he has displayed way more hand to hand skill in these movies than he reasonably has any right to. And he seemed to be fighting Thanos on fairly even skill. Thanos had a lot more power but Tony had a lot more distractions from his team.

Also, I'm not completely sure if Thor should be up there with Cap and Panther. I don't recall the dude being anywhere near them in human form, despite being very good. But his normal God form had amazing agility and skill in Ragnarok. How much is pure skill vs his powers? Then again, Panther didn't seem as agile or QUITE as skilled sans heart shaped herb, so maybe in the MCU powers and skill are pretty linked. I think it was hinted that Black Widow might even have low level augmentation, or maybe it was just having her uterus removed. I dunno, that bit is vague in my head.

That's about where I'd place him generally as well. Not quite the level of the best, but definitely better than most and much better than "base level brawler." Stark is a good comp: he's actually a really good, very resourceful fighter and repeatedly displays both skill and reactions much better than any normal guy. Armorless stuff in IM3, for example, was excellent.

As for Thor, he's always had high skill, rampaging the Jotun army at the beginning of Thor 1, showing excellent skill and honed reactions in Avengers against Hulk until he PIS-ifyingly tried to wrestle with someone so much more massive than he was, and his skill was clearly portrayed as ridiculously high in Ragnarok. As far as what he did as a base human... well, he absolutely waltzed unarmed through "the best men on the planet" to get to Mjolnir. The choreography wasn't nearly on the level as the later things, but the ease of passage (yes, he struggled a tiny bit against the "you're big, I've fought bigger" dude) plus Coulson's utterly impressed narrative made it clear that he was MEANT to be shown as having pretty top-level skills. I dunno: I mean, if you took Cap and stuck him in the body of a crippled pre-teen, he wouldn't look nearly as good as he does when inhabiting his superpowered form. Thor's drop from god to human was a lot further, physically, than that.

Basically Gamora being as talented as she is makes a lot more sense now

Astonishing Member Captain Morgan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by big_adventure View Post
    That's about where I'd place him generally as well. Not quite the level of the best, but definitely better than most and much better than "base level brawler." Stark is a good comp: he's actually a really good, very resourceful fighter and repeatedly displays both skill and reactions much better than any normal guy. Armorless stuff in IM3, for example, was excellent.

As for Thor, he's always had high skill, rampaging the Jotun army at the beginning of Thor 1, showing excellent skill and honed reactions in Avengers against Hulk until he PIS-ifyingly tried to wrestle with someone so much more massive than he was, and his skill was clearly portrayed as ridiculously high in Ragnarok. As far as what he did as a base human... well, he absolutely waltzed unarmed through "the best men on the planet" to get to Mjolnir. The choreography wasn't nearly on the level as the later things, but the ease of passage (yes, he struggled a tiny bit against the "you're big, I've fought bigger" dude) plus Coulson's utterly impressed narrative made it clear that he was MEANT to be shown as having pretty top-level skills. I dunno: I mean, if you took Cap and stuck him in the body of a crippled pre-teen, he wouldn't look nearly as good as he does when inhabiting his superpowered form. Thor's drop from god to human was a lot further, physically, than that.
    Actually, comic Cap has taken out other super soldiers when reduced to his 90 pound weakling form on skill. You may have meant movie Cap though, in which case you're probably right.

But thinking about it critically, it seems like the movies aren't making skill quite comic book martial arts level magical. Seems you need the stats to back it up as in the real world. I would definitely put Thor above Thanos and Tony right now. Maybe Bucky level? Bucky is still pretty dang good, and I'd say could tear through SHIELD agents just fine.

Quote Originally Posted by T51R View Post
    Like it says on the tin.

I actually paid MONEY to watch Infinity War on Imax and drove nearly an hour and a half each way to do it. Felt rushed, but I can't complain. IMHO that was like the minimum amount of time to try and pull off something so epic, else many bladders would have asploded.

BUT.

What really got me was Thanos going Ip Man on Hulk, and I was like WTF this c*nt isn't just a brawler, thus c*nt can fight!

Hell, he looked better than Faora did when she was trying to beatdown Superman!

So I ask you this; in the world of movies at large and ignoring the IG as well as his natural attributes, how is Thanos as a fighter?
    LOL. I went into the movie making sure I hadn't drunk anything for several hours before.

Yeah, he's good. He's so blasted big and powerful that I found it hard to judge his pure hth skills most of the time.

Am I the only one that suspects the Hulk is hiding inside Banner because this is the first time he truly got beaten and beaten badly? I'm dismissing him fighting Stark in the Hulkbuster because that was a sucker punch when he was shocked by the destruction he had caused.

And, yes, I suspect all Worldbreaker Hulk is going to break loose in the next one.
    Power with Girl is better.

BANNED

Someone's uploaded the fight to youtube.

And I'm seeing a lot more here:

BIG lead right...parry/stop into upjab into straight, FML this is Floyd Jr ****!

He even switches a couple times I think(going by where his shoulders are) and does well from either side which means he's an ambidextrous fighter?
    Last edited by T51R; 05-12-2018 at 10:47 PM.