Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Cosmic Black View Post
    I'm someone who doesn't really get Spectre. Should I give this run a go to get a better understanding?
    It is a great comic run. If you are curious about The Spectre, this is the best run to check out. If the writing doesn't keep you, the art definitely will.

Black Belt in Bad Ideas Robanker's Avatar

Really wish DC would finish collecting this run. I've always loved the Spectre and have been thinking a lot about the character of late. Would be great to have access to the entire run in a physical format.

I'd also love to see an oversized hardcover of all the covers form this run (much like the one for McKean's covers to Sandman). The covers on this were exquisite pieces of art from a host of different artists.

-M
    Comic fans get the comics their buying habits deserve.

"Opinion is the lowest form of human knowledge. It requires no accountability, no understanding." -Plato

This version of the spectre is simply the best. Everything since has paled in comparison. The story, the art. Justhe beautiful. This is magic that will never likely be recaptured for this charecter. Simply the best!!!

Ouch! The first volume in softcover is $40 on Amazon.

Maybe I need to get a Kindle.

(Formerly ilash) Ilan Preskovsky's Avatar

I read the first trade and I thought it was great but haven't gone any further as apparently DC stopped collecting the series after the second trade. This is right up there with Sandman Mystery Theatre in terms of classic runs that DC really needs to finish collecting - and probably won't anytime soon.
    Check out my blog, Because Everyone Else Has One, for my regularly updated movie reviews.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by deadboy80 View Post
    This version of the spectre is simply the best. Everything since has paled in comparison. The story, the art. Justhe beautiful. This is magic that will never likely be recaptured for this charecter. Simply the best!!!
    The writing was also bold. The covered materail that was otherwise hands off, like HIV AIDS, and the real meaning of strict Justice, religious themes. The extent and limited of collective guilt..

Black Belt in Bad Ideas Robanker's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ilan Preskovsky View Post
    I read the first trade and I thought it was great but haven't gone any further as apparently DC stopped collecting the series after the second trade. This is right up there with Sandman Mystery Theatre in terms of classic runs that DC really needs to finish collecting - and probably won't anytime soon.
    Yeah, they don't always finish collecting runs. I think they stalled Birds of Prey recently at volume 3, too. Hopefully they resume on The Spectre.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Yohei72 View Post
    Ouch! The first volume in softcover is $40 on Amazon.

Maybe I need to get a Kindle.

just pick the books up in the original form. They aren't expensive.

Quote Originally Posted by mrbrklyn View Post
    just pick the books up in the original form. They aren't expensive.
    Except issue 62 (the last issue) which can run $20-$25 in high grade.

-M
    Comic fans get the comics their buying habits deserve.

"Opinion is the lowest form of human knowledge. It requires no accountability, no understanding." -Plato

I actually have mixed feelings on this particular run.

John Ostrander is my favourite DC writer. And certainly I’m always baffled when he’s not routinely included in top 5 lists for his overall contribution. Maybe that’s down to non-flashy way he typically writes. Or maybe, it’s just down to my subjective opinion being different to most fans.

But the Spectre run is the long run I enjoyed least. I prefer all the others, Manhunter, Firestorm, Suicide Squad, Martian Manhunter, Hawkworld,and Hawkman.

I still like it!

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by JackDaw View Post
    But the Spectre run is the long run I enjoyed least.

That might be because of the sophistication of its themes, content, messages and artitistic achivements. It does tend to seperate different audiences.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by MRP View Post
    Except issue 62 (the last issue) which can run $20-$25 in high grade.

-M

Is that not the going price of a trade paperback these days?

Quote Originally Posted by mrbrklyn View Post
    That might be because of the sophistication of its themes, content, messages and artitistic achivements. It does tend to seperate different audiences.
    Not sure why. The artwork was, of course, tremendous. And I will re-read someday...when I got rid of bulk of my physical collection I kept it, knowing I liked it enough to read one day. i.e. It's not my favourite John O run, but it still gave me more enjoyment than 99% of comics I've read.

I must admit on first reading it didn't strike me as markedly more sophisticated than his other stuff...people may laugh at this, but, for example, there's a lot of nuances in his Suicide Squad run that only appear when carefully read..or in my case on repeated readings.

Only non DC work of John O's I've read are Grimjack which again I preferred to Spectre run, and a fair chunk of his Star Wars stuff, which I liked less.

I suspect my main "problem" was power level/ powerset of Spectre.

Quote Originally Posted by Ilan Preskovsky View Post
    This is right up there with Sandman Mystery Theatre in terms of classic runs that DC really needs to finish collecting - and probably won't anytime soon.
    I'm still heartbroken about those cancellations