Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Boing Boing Baggies. Baggie_Saiyan's Avatar

Default Wonder Woman Animated Movie

Hiya folks, hope everyone is well and all.
    A few months back I had won the blu-ray for £5 on eBay and only just got round to watching it, and yow! what a great flick, great intro to the character and her world. The animation was great, audio was great and best of all I found myself laughing more than expected and I actually liked the Hal Jordan rip off haha!! (vioced by Fillion too!!). Another solid entry by DC (but that is expected at this point).

A few problems, were the lack of blood for the chopped heads etc. I mean the dialogue is pretty suggestive and"mature" so why tone down the blood? And why did that chick with the scar (forogt her name lol) wait so long to release Aries?

Anyway, what did ya'll think of the movie?

I hope DC will animate another solo WW film some time, or have her take the centre stage like Flash and Aquaman.
    "Yes...Mondo Cool"- Vegeta.

I didn't love it, that's for sure.

There are good aspects of the movie... I like Wonder Woman herself and I like the depiction of Paradise Island. It was nice seeing her battle an army of the undead and mythological foes. I loved her fight scene with Deimos. And the Cheetah nod at the end was neat.

However, I did not like the addition of pointless Amazons like Persephone or Alexa. Why even make up Amazons when there are so many from the comics that could've been used? Where the heck was Philippus?

Ares was lackluster as the villain and was not as terrifying as he should've been. I'm not sure why they decided to make him a generic, buff yet unattractive man with long hair. And the whole thing with his kid and Hades (who looked awful) was just blah. I remember the opening being far too gory for my tastes, too.

Steve Trevor was characterized as the typical smartass pretty boy which irked me... there's nothing that distinguishes him from the animated version of Hal Jordan in other DC Animated films. Don't even get me started on Etta Candy.

I really liked it.
    With some improvements here and there it would be a nice live action movie.

Sadly future animated movies will be based on new52, so you will never get a sequel...

Boing Boing Baggies. Baggie_Saiyan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Hawk80 View Post
    I really liked it.
    With some improvements here and there it would be a nice live action movie.

Sadly future animated movies will be based on new52, so you will never get a sequel...
    I'm pretty sure I read somewhere that DC'll make one non-52/out of continuity flick, like with Assualt on Arkham.

Also, some of those Amazon's were made up for the movie? Didn't know that.
    "Yes...Mondo Cool"- Vegeta.

undead redhead and the scarred one were new.

Etta Candy was in this movie?

Extraordinary Member Primal Slayer's Avatar

I loved it. It was when DC wasnt adapting stories and still trying to come up with semi-original ones.

It was said back then that they had to get rid of a lot of the blood because it would've landed them in rated R territory.

But there wont be another a sequel or solo movie under WWs name since the film didnt earn enough money quickly enough when it was first released and thus DC/WB put a ban on female lead movies/solo movies.

Quote Originally Posted by 'Dax View Post
    Yes. She was hitting on Steve if I remember correctly.

Quote Originally Posted by 'Dax View Post
    Yeah, she was a flirty secretary or something, it was horrible, I hated what they did with her, she might as well have been someone else.

I wasn't a fan of Steve as well, he annoyed me, but I could deal with it and I did not care about that whole Ares/Hippolyta son thing.

Beyond that, it was fun, I liked it, I liked Wonder Woman, and Hippolyta was a complete badass!

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Bat_Baggie View Post
    I'm pretty sure I read somewhere that DC'll make one non-52/out of continuity flick, like with Assualt on Arkham.

Also, some of those Amazon's were made up for the movie? Didn't know that.
    warner/dc already said that they won't do solo WW movies.

But there wont be another a sequel or solo movie under WWs name since the film didnt earn enough money quickly enough when it was first released and thus DC/WB put a ban on female lead movies/solo movies.
    it still did more than many DC movies and did much better than their last movies. if they did a second movie and marketed it it would sell faster than the first. I don't think warner is interested in money at all
    Last edited by Blacksun; 07-20-2014 at 03:18 PM.

BANNED

You gotta ask the question, why did they depower Wonder Woman in her own movie? For years in the animated universe she could fly, now she can't. I think this is one of the flaws among the people in charge at DC and in the animated universe. They cannot grasp a consistent set of powers for Wonder Woman.

Gail Simone even had a hand in writing the script, she was the writer at the time on the Wonder Woman comic book (and she flew in the comic book), and even she somehow decides to let Wonder Woman lose the ability to fly.

Until DC figures out the little things that make up a iconic comic book character and give them consistency, I think we are going to keep seeing stuff like this. We didn't even know Wonder Woman could fly until issue 12 of her own series, and that was because of the feather granted to her by Hermes. That seemed more like a throw away scene to me, since we don't get any impact from Diana when she now learns she can fly, and not just temporarily. You would think that someone who has been grounded her entire life (in the reboot), and now she just gained the power of flight that she would revel in it more, or at least comment on it.

Invincible Member

I liked the action and I liked the character designs. I wasn't a fan of the dialogue. There were some ham-fisted jabs that seemed like were there to criticize "feminism."

Quote Originally Posted by ed2962 View Post
    I liked the action and I liked the character designs. I wasn't a fan of the dialogue. There were some ham-fisted jabs that seemed like were there to criticize "feminism."
    Have to agree with this statement, at least partially. I feel like the biggest dramatic scene in the movie was when Steve tells Wonder Woman why she's (and by extension, the Amazons) wrong about him.

It has various issues here and there. The romance is as typically lacking as any 70-minute action film can be about two strangers meeting, but throughout the most part I enjoyed it.

Spectacular Member

Problems I had with it were:

1. They didn't really show how she was different and more powerful than the other Amazons.
    2. They didn't show her fly by her own power.
    3. They put the invisible plane in it but had no explanation for it. It is just there as if you already know what it is all about.

Invincible Member

Quote Originally Posted by DochaDocha View Post
    Have to agree with this statement, at least partially. I feel like the biggest dramatic scene in the movie was when Steve tells Wonder Woman why she's (and by extension, the Amazons) wrong about him.

It has various issues here and there. The romance is as typically lacking as any 70-minute action film can be about two strangers meeting, but throughout the most part I enjoyed it.

If you mean the scene where Steve and Diana are talking after he saves her, that's my least favorite part of the movie. "But we open doors and pull chairs out for you!" I mean...Really?

Invincible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Farron View Post
    Problems I had with it were:

1. They didn't really show how she was different and more powerful than the other Amazons.
    2. They didn't show her fly by her own power.
    3. They put the invisible plane in it but had no explanation for it. It is just there as if you already know what it is all about.
    On the commentary track the writers mention that they did come up with an explanation, but cut out for time reasons.