Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Sherlock Holmes Movies and Shows

From Basil Rathbone to RDJ, from the Granada to BBC series, what do you consider your favorite adaptations of the great detective? Or that you consider most unique and interesting?

Inspired because I recently saw the Seven Percent Solution where Sherlock meets Freud, and I realized even a huge fanboy like me has yet to see everything.

So let's talk all things Sherlock!

Basil Rathbone fits the book description the best, while some of his later pictures were not very good.

Many of the later ones portrayed the character a bit too nice or handsome or lovely.

Jeremy Brett is always my 1st choice as Holmes and I enjoy that the show tries to be mostly faithful to the stories. Basil Rathbone is always great as well.

I don't really get into the more "out there" takes on the character like making him an action star type. True Holmes could throw down pretty well in the stories but it gets a bit much when he is jumping in slow motion away from bombs and stuff, haha. But the character has an enduring popularity and even though I don't dig some versions it is kind of cool that so many people still care about Sherlock Holmes.
    Last edited by Grim Ghost; 05-12-2018 at 04:12 PM.

Old school comic book fan WestPhillyPunisher's Avatar

Jeremy Brett is always first in my heart as well. I've watched the Granada series he starred in numerous times and it NEVER gets old for me.
    Avatar: Here's to the late, great Steve Dillon. Best. Punisher. Artist. EVER!

Astonishing Member AndrewCrossett's Avatar

Another vote for Jeremy Brett. The definitive Holmes.

I'm re-watching that series now, in fact.

Quote Originally Posted by AndrewCrossett View Post
    Another vote for Jeremy Brett. The definitive Holmes.

I'm re-watching that series now, in fact.
    Don't need to vote, not really a poll.

I might be different from a lot of fans. While I love the Jeremy Brett version of the character and the series as a whole very dearly, I don't consider it definitive by any means. Even though we don't get as much of it I find the Peter Cushing version just as endearing, and Basil Rathbone is undeniably the icon (I really need to get more of his films on dvd or blu-ray), and the Ron Howard (no not Opie) series is great fun. And that's just off the top of my head, for example I think the Matt Frewer take to be criminally underrated.

Not a Newbie Member JBatmanFan05's Avatar

While I'm a huge Cushing fan, as far as anything he's in, I probably have to side with Jeremy Brett as the best Holmes we've ever gotten (and are likely to get).
    Thank you AMericA for votinG for chAnge.

I strongly value fidelity to the source material, which is why alternative Holmeses like Downey, Cumberbatch and Miller don't really hold any interest for me. The Brett series was quite faithful to the stories, but he and David Burke (and later Edward Hardwicke) injected enough personality into it that the episodes didn't come across like audiobooks.

Rathbone was a fine actor, but I'm just not that interested at seeing Sherlock Holmes fight Nazis and whatnot. Cushing was also a great actor, but unfortunately most of his episodes got wiped.

Not to brag, but little over five years ago, I found, quite by accident at Best Buy, a three DVD set of Peter Cushing's Sherlock Holmes TV series with the following five episodes (in alphabetical order):

A Study In Scarlet
    The Blue Carbuncle
    The Boscombe Valley Mystery
    The Hound of the Baskervilles (2-part episode)
    The Sign of Four

Cushing was, in my mind, second only to Brett in his interpretation of Holmes. A damn shame there isn't more of that series to view.

By the way: The British programming centric streaming service Britbox has the Brett series available for viewing. However, if you prefer shiny little discs, I think it was released on Blu-Ray sometime last year.
    Last edited by WestPhillyPunisher; 05-14-2018 at 09:59 AM.

Those are all the surviving Cushing episodes.

I have the complete Brett series on DVD... I don't think it's Blu-Ray, although there may be a Blu-Ray release. (Actually my parents have it; I got it for them last Christmas and watch the episodes with them.) I watched the show when it aired originally. It slipped a little in the last years as Brett's health was failing, but still great. My big regret was they never did "A Study in Scarlet" which depicted Holmes and Watson's first meeting.
    Last edited by AndrewCrossett; 05-14-2018 at 10:18 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by WestPhillyPunisher View Post
    Not to brag, but little over five years ago, I found, quite by accident at Best Buy, a three DVD set of Peter Cushing's Sherlock Holmes TV series with the following five episodes (in alphabetical order):

A Study In Scarlet
    The Blue Carbuncle
    The Boscombe Valley Mystery
    The Hound of the Baskervilles (2-part episode)
    The Sign of Four

Cushing was, in my mind, second only to Brett in his interpretation of Holmes. A damn shame there isn't more of that series to view.

By the way: The British programming centric streaming service Britbox has the Brett series available for viewing. However, if you prefer shiny little discs, I think it was released on Blu-Ray sometime last year.
    I got that same DVD set from Wal-Mart and I love it. I had no clue Cushing had played Holmes outside of the one Hammer flick. I could be wrong, but doesn't this make Cushing the only actor to have starred in two different adaptations of the Hound? I remember Lee was the only actor to play both Sherlock and Mycroft, albeit in different movies.

Another take on Holmes I enjoyed was Sir Ian McKellen in Mr. Holmes, I hope he plays Sherlock again, preferably closer to his prime as it were.

Quote Originally Posted by AndrewCrossett View Post
    I strongly value fidelity to the source material, which is why alternative Holmeses like Downey, Cumberbatch and Miller don't really hold any interest for me. The Brett series was quite faithful to the stories, but he and David Burke (and later Edward Hardwicke) injected enough personality into it that the episodes didn't come across like audiobooks.

Rathbone was a fine actor, but I'm just not that interested at seeing Sherlock Holmes fight Nazis and whatnot. Cushing was also a great actor, but unfortunately most of his episodes got wiped.
    Rathbone's first few movies didn't have such weird background.

Quote Originally Posted by Vakanai View Post
    I got that same DVD set from Wal-Mart and I love it. I had no clue Cushing had played Holmes outside of the one Hammer flick. I could be wrong, but doesn't this make Cushing the only actor to have starred in two different adaptations of the Hound? I remember Lee was the only actor to play both Sherlock and Mycroft, albeit in different movies.

Another take on Holmes I enjoyed was Sir Ian McKellen in Mr. Holmes, I hope he plays Sherlock again, preferably closer to his prime as it were.
    I believe you’re right. Rathbone’s only done it once, Brett’s only done it once, and yes, Cumberbatch did it too. As for Mr. Holmes, that was a stellar performance by Sir Ian.

Quote Originally Posted by Slowpokeking View Post
    Rathbone's first few movies didn't have such weird background.
    Perhaps the studio didn't want to spend the time and money to recreate Victorian London for the films, so they placed Rathbone in a contemporary setting instead.

Meanwhile, who's your Watson: Nigel Bruce, Nigel Stock, David Burke, Edward Hardwicke, Jude Law, Martin Freeman or Lucy Liu? For me, it's Hardwicke, hands down, he and Jeremy Brett were an absolutely stellar pairing.

Yep, Brett and Hardwicke are my Holmes and Watson just like Stephen Fry and Hugh Laurie are my Jeeves and Wooster. If I read a Holmes story I picture those two actors in my mind. Burke was good too.