Page 1 of 11 12345 ... LastLast
    Astonishing Member Dispenser Of Truth's Avatar

Default Superman/Luthor in Scott Snyder's Justice League

In one of his several interviews yesterday on Justice League, Scott Snyder described the structure of the book as 5-issue arcs with each primarily centering around two members of the team (with Martian Manhunter, Green Lantern, Hawkgirl, and I get the impression Batman being the center of much of the ongoing subplot as I understand it): Flash and Green Lantern are the focus of the first arc, Wonder Woman and Aquaman the second, and Superman is the lead for the third arc along with J'onn. Snyder already said in another one of the interviews that the Aquaman/Wonder Woman arc will deal with the Omega Titans from No Justice, and he implied his big "The (he's keeping the noun secret for now) Of Hypertime" story will be further down the line as a huge thing, so those both seem out for Superman's arc. I'm thinking that'll be where the war with the Legion of Doom will come to a head, since J'onn's the new Justice League leader and it makes sense for his arc to be where they face their opposite number, and with Lex as the leader it makes sense for this to be Superman's arc. In any case, given the double-shipping schedule the Superman story should kick off at the tail end of his 80th, so that's nice.

Speaking of Lex, he's put together the Legion of Doom due to something in No Justice, with him deciding that justice - as in, an attempt to reign in our baser natures through the imposition of a higher, kinder order - is anathema to the true baseness of human nature, taking the name Doom in accordance with its original meaning of inevitable fate, as he wishes humankind to follow its 'natural' state and instincts. This is why he's made the odd choice of recruiting Joker, as he sees him as an embodiment of this ideal. I suspect many will find this characterization for Lex rubs them the wrong way; for me it fits perfectly in terms of justifying his backslide into villainy, since it's the sort of pseudo-moralistic excuse for doing the terrible things he wants to do anyway that have long been his stock in trade. Joker as a 'role model' still seems odd even in that context - given he's never been shy at using Morrison's concepts, perhaps Snyder might dip into the "21st century multiplex man" take for Joker to justify Lex viewing him as a potential new model human?

So what do people expect out of the Superman arc, and what do people think of what we know so far regarding Lex's new outlook and aims?
    Buh-bye

Extraordinary Member DragonPiece's Avatar

I think what Snyder is doing with Lex is to best way to justify him becoming a villain again since forever evil. Without just suddenly making him a villain again, like I thought was the plan after the apokolips arc in Superman, I'm glad they are doing a long term storyline with him believing he is the good guy in his own thoughts. Really looking forward to the issues where he gets focus in Justice League.

Also his hypertime story he is teasing has me really excited, since Cyborg got some big upgrades and is able to travel through hypertime thanks to events in metal, I'd be surprised if he didn't get a big focus in that arc.

Luthor being “evil” again due to his desire to shape humanity’s future as he sees fit is almost exactly how I hoped they would handle his return to super villain status. I only wish we got an arc where Lex gets fed up with holding back and the upholding of the status quo which is a mandate of being a hero, and tries to meddle in countries politics (toppling dictators, etc) only to be stopped by Supes. But I really like how Snyder’s focusing on Lex embracing the darker aspects of humanity as a path to greater power for humanity.

THE MARK OF MY DIGNITY Superlad93's Avatar

I can get down with this. I've never really had too much of an issue when Lex's personal outlook is colored or informed by some big outside force even outside of Superman's existence. The idea that Lex is openly acknowledging the idea that he's a bad person is surprisingly refreshing given how long we've been on this whole gray area kick.

Read Tom King's comments on the first issue, and it sounds like it'll all be my kind of comic. King said "I’ve read the 1st issue, and it’s incredible. It combines the fun and passion of the Justice League Unlimited cartoon with the addictive depth and mystery @Ssnyder1835 and Jim Cheung always bring to their work." That's big ups from me given how much I liked the story structure and feel of JLU. It felt definitive and grand, yet surprisingly grounded, and no Justice League comic since has been able to replicate that feel aside from Priest's run to an extent. Loving the idea of character specific arcs, and putting dual focus on the budding Legion of Doom. Very JLU and also very fresh and good for the longevity of Snyder's run.

As a little aside for everyone who read No Justice, did you feel like you were kind of watching a pitch for a really cool JL cartoon? It has all the hallmarks of a highly marketable cartoon down to the story specific looks, fan favorite characters, and new an uncomfortable dynamics for established characters. If we were more along in the DCEU, this would've been a pretty sick movie or set of movies (Justice League: Mystery, Entropy, and Wonder). Snyder might just be better at this whole revamping stuff to make more marketable and digestible for wide audiences than Johns. Challengers will likely be the third half of his proving ground along side Metal and JL.
    "Mark my words! This drill will open a hole in the universe. And that hole will become a path for those that follow after us. The dreams of those who have fallen. The hopes of those who will follow. Those two sets of dreams weave together into a double helix, drilling a path towards tomorrow. THAT's Tengen Toppa! THAT'S Gurren Lagann! MY DRILL IS THE DRILL THAT CREATES THE HEAVENS!" - The Digger

We walk on the path to Secher Nbiw. Though hard fought, we walk the Golden Path.

Quote Originally Posted by Superlad93 View Post
    As a little aside for everyone who read No Justice, did you feel like you were kind of watching a pitch for a really cool JL cartoon? It has all the hallmarks of a highly marketable cartoon down to the story specific looks, fan favorite characters, and new an uncomfortable dynamics for established characters. If we were more along in the DCEU, this would've been a pretty sick movie or set of movies (Justice League: Mystery, Entropy, and Wonder). Snyder might just be better at this whole revamping stuff to make more marketable and digestible for wide audiences than Johns. Challengers will likely be the third half of his proving ground along side Metal and JL.
    I could've seen it as a Justice League Action mini-arc....while that show was still a thing .

Astonishing Member Dispenser Of Truth's Avatar

Another Superman-related aspect: Snyder hinted in today's Justice League AMA that the shattering of the Source Wall could very well lead to the return of your favorite fanboy and mine, Superboy Prime. Given he also suggested The Batman Who Laughs is going to factor in, I'd straight-up LOVE those two showing up as an evil World's Finest to battle the entire team, or putting together their own Injustice League with Thawne and Sinestro and whoever else.

Edit: I remember now there's a competing villain team against the Legion of Doom; they could easily be that.
    Last edited by Dispenser Of Truth; 05-21-2018 at 04:59 PM.
    Buh-bye

Quote Originally Posted by Dispenser Of Truth View Post
    Another Superman-related aspect: Snyder hinted in today's Justice League AMA that the shattering of the Source Wall could very well lead to the return of your favorite fanboy and mine, Superboy Prime. Given he also suggested The Batman Who Laughs is going to factor in, I'd straight-up LOVE those two showing up as an evil World's Finest to battle the entire team, or putting together their own Injustice League with Thawne and Sinestro and whoever else.

Edit: I remember now there's a competing villain team against the Legion of Doom; they could easily be that.
    prime time.
    Prime Time.
    PRIME TIME!
    Marvel Pull - Fantastic Four, The Immortal Hulk
    DC Pull - The Green Lantern, Goddess Mode
    Indie Pull - The Wrong Earth, High Heaven

Father Son Kamehameha < Kuwagaton's Avatar

It felt definitive and grand, yet surprisingly grounded, and no Justice League comic since has been able to replicate that feel
    I'd recommend the runs from Meltzer and Mcduffie if you're looking for that cartoon feel. Mcduffie of course, was a writer and producer for JLU and just a generally cool guy.

But indeed I'm on the verge of a nosebleed from the Mahnke Cheung Jimenez combo and Snyder sounds pretty tuned in to making the Filmation stuff mix in as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Dispenser Of Truth View Post

I never quite expected anyone but Johns to bring Prime back, but I can see Snyder having some fun there .

Although I'd hate to get Prime back before we get Conner back.

Fantastic Member

Now this is my type of book all the heroes working on grand adventures that you need team up to do. Only good justice league action cartoons were those that did not include the big three they were just written wrong wait I did not like new 52 supermans attitude and they use that for the cartoon that is why I did not like it. Though when batman was teaming with other heroes he was alright but together they were just cringing using the new 52 version of superman and wonderwoman with the jlu batman just did not vibe. This is a must read now

Ultimate Member Last Son of Krypton's Avatar

10 Things I Can Tell You About Justice League #1: https://www.bleedingcool.com/2018/05...snyder-cheung/

2. It has sold two-to-three times what Man of Steel #1 has sold. Well over 200,000. Should be easy to find a copy.

spoilers:
    9. The comic is set 85,000 years in the future with the Justice League One Million. It is also set 85,000 years ago with the Monitor. There is no difference. It is also set at the end of time with the sole surviving Justice Leaguer.
    end of spoilers

I guess the surviving Leaguer is Superman.

Lets freakin' GO, son!!

Marvel creates their hype-ass cavemen Avengers, and DC answers with...well...read the spoilers or wait for the book.

I'd love it if the last surviving Leaguer were Superman because if they are reintroducing the you-know-what as an in continuity thing, then you'd be pretty obligated to explain how he could've possible died. Just imagine Synder using THAT Superman in a story. I'm scared because you kind of shouldn't really use him because of the nature of the narrative around him, but at the same time, so long as you play on his level then you're more or less ok for a quick go.

Who am I kidding, it's obviously gonna be Manhunter.

spoilers:
    6. The Joker swears at the reader. Someone is getting fourth wall-piercing powers, it seems. You will join him in the sun.
    end of spoilers

This could mean something good or bad for Superman depending on why it's being said.
    Last edited by Superlad93; 05-24-2018 at 01:08 PM.
    "Mark my words! This drill will open a hole in the universe. And that hole will become a path for those that follow after us. The dreams of those who have fallen. The hopes of those who will follow. Those two sets of dreams weave together into a double helix, drilling a path towards tomorrow. THAT's Tengen Toppa! THAT'S Gurren Lagann! MY DRILL IS THE DRILL THAT CREATES THE HEAVENS!" - The Digger

We walk on the path to Secher Nbiw. Though hard fought, we walk the Golden Path.

Have they reprinted DC One Million recently? I wouldn't be surprised if they do again with all these connections.

As far as the Leaguer, the smart money says Superman because of the connections. But this is Snyder. Its only half-jokingly that I say what if its Batman?
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

Ultimate Member Last Son of Krypton's Avatar

Lets freakin' GO, son!!

Marvel creates their hype-ass cavemen Avengers, and DC answers with...well...read the spoilers or wait for the book.

I'd love it if the last surviving Leaguer were Superman because if they are reintroducing the you-know-what as an in continuity thing, then you'd be pretty obligated to explain how he could've possible died. Just imagine Synder using THAT Superman in a story. I'm scared because you kind of shouldn't really use him because of the nature of the narrative around him, but at the same time, so long as you play on his level then you're more or less ok for a quick go.

Who am I kidding, it's obviously gonna be Manhunter.
    Scott Snyder thinks that Superman will outlive everyone he cares about, so it must be him.

Quote Originally Posted by Last Son of Krypton View Post
    Scott Snyder thinks that Superman will outlive everyone he cares about, so it must be him.
    If he's acknowledging one million as a part of his continuity, then he'll only outlive them for a couple hundred centuries then bring his wife back back along with his dead home world and birth parents.

It would be fascinating if Snyder thinks he'll lose them all again and finally have that lonely end catch up to him. I wouldn't mind that depending on how it's written.

But the reason I think the smart money is on Manhunter is because Snyder is pushing him as leader of the League, he's historically known for being the soul of nearly every League incarnation, and DC 1 million has him fuse with Mars and remain immortal.

I'd like it to be Superman, but I fully expect it to be Manhunter, and only half expect a new future Leaguer who has vague callbacks to the older members.
    Last edited by Superlad93; 05-24-2018 at 01:33 PM.