Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Twitter: @theprattlp donpricetag's Avatar

Default Marvel announces "first official" Chinese Superheroes?

https://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry...b0e57cd9f9fa07

Article basically discusses Marvel partnering up with the biggest Chinese comic book publisher (similar to Shonen Jump in Japan) to create two new heroes. Kind of obvious ploy to gain a foothold in the elusive Chinese market by using a Chinese company. One character can control wind currents (like the 4th or 5th character to do that in Marvel...) and another one with a magical sword... You know, I'm pretty sure Marvel has had Chinese characters before this. Shang Chi comes to mind first. Not sure if "first official" is warranted here.
    Guild Member
    Realistically speaking about fictional matters. | Nutcases need not respond. | Stay outta my DMs. | Why does the "House of Ideas" keep duplicating characters?! | If an idea or belief cannot stand up to criticism it's probably... bad.

I guess Collective Man means nothing to them now.

trente-et-un/treize responsarbre's Avatar

I've seen a couple people bring this up, but I think we all know what they mean by this; it's just semantics. Marvel had British characters in X-Men and the like before the Marvel UK imprint ever started publishing original stories, but there's still a distinction between the British characters created for an American audience and the stuff created by Brits, for Brits.

Marvel doesn't have the cinematic rights to X-men characters or mutants in general.

Honestly I'm surprised it took this long.

Still the visuals don't scream Marvel to me looks like a webcomic
    The J-man

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Alan2099 View Post
    I guess Collective Man means nothing to them now.
    Or China Force (Auric, Silver, Jade Dragon, etc.), or Jubilee, or Jimmy Woo, or Shang-Chi. Meh.

Astonishing Member

I do like the art

Quote Originally Posted by Sutekh View Post
    Or China Force (Auric, Silver, Jade Dragon, etc.), or Jubilee, or Jimmy Woo, or Shang-Chi. Meh.
    These are Asian heroes, yes, but we're talking about characters and stories geared towards a Chinese audience. That's what they mean by "first."

Pretty nifty that Marvel is going to this length for a potentially untapped Chinese-geared audience. I suppose with them being a huge moneymaker for the movies, this could be a good move.

Twitter: @theprattlp donpricetag's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Xalfrea View Post
    Pretty nifty that Marvel is going to this length for a potentially untapped Chinese-geared audience. I suppose with them being a huge moneymaker for the movies, this could be a good move.
    Or end up like most of the media that lands on Chinese shores. They seem to embrace Western music and some movies (not Black Panther so much...) but just about everything else fizzles. Trying to tap that audience is the only reason we saw those certain parts added into The Martian and Transformers Extinction. Same goes for utilizing specific actors like we saw in Blink with Days of Future Past.
    Last edited by donpricetag; 05-13-2018 at 08:06 AM.
    Guild Member
    Realistically speaking about fictional matters. | Nutcases need not respond. | Stay outta my DMs. | Why does the "House of Ideas" keep duplicating characters?! | If an idea or belief cannot stand up to criticism it's probably... bad.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by vasir12 View Post
    These are Asian heroes, yes, but we're talking about characters and stories geared towards a Chinese audience. That's what they mean by "first."
    I actually picked *Chinese* heroes, some of which are indeed based in China (China Force, and the Collective Man, in particular), and not Japanese heroes (like Sunfire) or heroes from India (like Trinary) or Korea (Silk), Vietnam (Mantis), etc.

The Detective Man The Dying Detective's Avatar

Not the biggest fan of this art style and some of them look way too generic especially the sword guy.
    "Excellent!" I cried. "Elementary," said he

Quote Originally Posted by Sutekh View Post
    I actually picked *Chinese* heroes, some of which are indeed based in China (China Force, and the Collective Man, in particular), and not Japanese heroes (like Sunfire) or heroes from India (like Trinary) or Korea (Silk), Vietnam (Mantis), etc.
    Totally Awesome Hulk is also Korean.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    Totally Awesome Hulk is also Korean.
    Yeah, I just picked one character for each example. The list of Japanese heroes would have gone on and on, otherwise. (Silver Samurai, Jolt, Surge, Nico Minoru, Hazmat, Radiance, etc.)

I even skipped some Chinese characters, like Sprite (Jia Jing) and Nature Girl (Lin Li), whom, I think, are Chinese. There's quite a few options, and I'm totally fine with there being a bunch of new characters of well, although I find it silly to call such a new character 'the first' of anything.

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by Jabare View Post
    Marvel doesn't have the cinematic rights to X-men characters or mutants in general.

Honestly I'm surprised it took this long.

Still the visuals don't scream Marvel to me looks like a webcomic
    They are tailoring the art to meet the market demands, that style is dominant in Chinese entertainment.

Quote Originally Posted by Xalfrea View Post
    It won't be. If it starts to work a local company will blatantly rip off the idea and get help from the government to make it 100x as difficult for Marvel to compete because they are incredibly protective of local businesses. Just ask _any_ American company that's had delusions of dominating the Chinese market.

What's the definition of foolishness again?