View Poll Results: Should DC continue the Earth One Superman line?

Voters
43. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes.

20 46.51%
  • No

10 23.26%
  • Don't care

11 25.58%
  • KILL IT WITH FIRE!

2 4.65%
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Extraordinary Member superduperman's Avatar

For anyone wondering what it would look like if Marvel ever took over DC, the EO line is a pretty good clue!
    Assassinate Putin!

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by RepHope View Post
    I believe his eyesight is worsening which is why he’s not doing any more comics work.

@OP Yes absolutely continue it. There has to be someone out there willing to continue the story, and the fact that aside from respecting what JMS already established, you get complete creative freedom has to appeal to someone. I’d take over the book in a heartbeat. I’m also so done with origin stories for Superman, I hope Miller’s Year One is the last one for a while. Earth One Supes is all established and I hope he’s not abandoned.
    Ι am so sad to hear this. JMS was one of my favourite writers and i loved his ASM,Thor runs and the Earth One series.

If they pumped them out a little faster, I'd say continue it. But honestly, if DC ever wanted an "Ultimates" style line of books, I think using these OGN's as a springboard would work just fine for an Earth One series or something. The origin is hashed out already, and whether readers liked it or didn't like it, at least it's done. I know most would say "just use New 52 Superman instead", but he's been re-merged in the main continuity with the other half of Superman, so a lot more work would need to be done to set him up.

Plus, Earth One Superman could easily change his uniform.
    "Darkseid...always hated music..."

Every post I make, it should be assumed by the reader that the following statement is attached: "It's all subjective. What works for me doesn't necessarily work for you, and vice versa, and that's ok. You may have a different opinion on it, but this is mine. That's the wonderful thing about being a comics fan, it's all subjective."

Quote Originally Posted by Clark_Kent View Post
    If they pumped them out a little faster, I'd say continue it. But honestly, if DC ever wanted an "Ultimates" style line of books, I think using these OGN's as a springboard would work just fine for an Earth One series or something. The origin is hashed out already, and whether readers liked it or didn't like it, at least it's done. I know most would say "just use New 52 Superman instead", but he's been re-merged in the main continuity with the other half of Superman, so a lot more work would need to be done to set him up.

Plus, Earth One Superman could easily change his uniform.
    Like I said, I think if they did something like a book a year that would work as a regular series. But I really hope they don't change the costume! I kind of like it!
    Assassinate Putin!

The poll closed too soon, I would've voted Yes. I love JMS work and wish there was more Superman by him.

BANNED

I'd like to see DC split New Earth/Earth-0 into its constituent Earths in an altered Multiverse. A new Earth-One is where the modern heroes remain, while the new Earth-2 is where the restored JSA ends up. Meanwhile, Earth-Zero becomes home to an "Ultimate DCU," either as OGNs or a separate line or a mix of the two. I wouldn't be surprised to see Bendis involved in some of the planning on such a project, even if it's just in an advisory capacity.

I'd dig such a scenario. Unsurprisingly, with how much I peddle similar ideas myself, lol. I would have a feeling though that they'd want to keep the current continuity "Earth-0" though, and that an "ultimate" verse would be "Earth-1" or some other numbered variant. But in the end that's all technicality. Either way I'll always argue something like this (although the JSA on their own Earth is unfortunately a long shot, Johns seems intent that the JSA and JLA be on the same world), has the potential to satisfy the optimal amount of fans. Can never please everybody, but I mean, it gives options.

For example, imagine an alternate line with a younger Superman that would appeal to New 52 fans. Within that same world, you could reintroduce the Linda Danvers incarnation of Supergirl as well. Just an example of how they could allow for a mixing and matching of recent and even older ideas that don't fit in the current continuity but concepts that still have fanbases, and at the same time allow for different directions as well.
    Last edited by Sacred Knight; 05-26-2018 at 10:39 AM.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Sacred Knight View Post
    I'd dig such a scenario. Unsurprisingly, with how much I peddle similar ideas myself, lol. I would have a feeling though that they'd want to keep the current continuity "Earth-0" though, and that an "ultimate" verse would be "Earth-1" or some other numbered variant. But in the end that's all technicality.
    It is a technicality, but it would make long-time fans happy and there's a nice ring to "Start at ground zero with DC's greatest heroes with Earth Zero."

I know a lot of characters that are my favorites aren't being used now,and would love to see them somewhere,so I'm all for a mulitverse where they can thrive while letting the main DCU continue as is.

Savior of the Universe Flash Gordon's Avatar

They sold really well, so I'm not sure if it'd be the best idea to abandon. Yet, I don't think they've been hailed as any kind of second coming. Morrison's ACTION COMICS from the New 52 prolly should have been Earth One volumes.

Personally, I'd like to ignore them totally and start anew. Either just switch the lens and get a creative team that doesn't discount the previous 3 volumes but works with them and builds upon them in a way that creates better stories, or just a whole new take on Superman from someone else. I think a whole new take would be the best option, honestly.

Rebrand the older volumes as SUPERMAN by JMS, and begin again with a fresh new SUPERMAN: EARTH ONE Vol. 1.
    Last edited by Flash Gordon; 05-26-2018 at 05:34 PM.

'Kill it with Fire'

Apt words.

What I still don't understand is why DC doesn't just go b@!!$ deep with different Earth-# lines?

They have literally infinite number of imaginary Multiverses to spin titles and series and mini shared-universes out of. Go nuts.

A good compromise would be a multiverse book that explores different stories from the mulitverse but it's an ongoing. So a sort of anthology book. You get president Superman, you get Earth One Superman, you get Batman Beyond Superman, you get Red Son Superman, Kingdom Come Superman, etc. Each month you get a different story about a different version of Superman. Sort of like Adventures of Superman a few years ago only it's canon. If you don't like this month's version of Superman, you wait until next month! Everybody gets a little bit of something they want!
    Assassinate Putin!

Anthology books don’t sell well apparently, which is why DC doesn’t do them anymore.

Also I’d veto any reboot of EO. I do not want to see another Origin story where we see him growing up in Smallville, getting a job at the Daily Planet, meeting Lois, etc. EO Supes is fully set up which is why I want to see him continued.

Quote Originally Posted by RepHope View Post
    Anthology books don’t sell well apparently, which is why DC doesn’t do them anymore.

Also I’d veto any reboot of EO. I do not want to see another Origin story where we see him growing up in Smallville, getting a job at the Daily Planet, meeting Lois, etc. EO Supes is fully set up which is why I want to see him continued.
    I agree about not rebooting him. I just thought that if there was some sort of book about the multiverse, then we could still get some stories about him. People are so sick of origin stories at this point. Which is ironic considering that Rebirth Superman looks like he might have a different origin from either New 52 or Johns origin. Wonder if we're going to get yet another one.
    Assassinate Putin!

Quote Originally Posted by superduperman View Post
    I agree about not rebooting him. I just thought that if there was some sort of book about the multiverse, then we could still get some stories about him. People are so sick of origin stories at this point. Which is ironic considering that Rebirth Superman looks like he might have a different origin from either New 52 or Johns origin. Wonder if we're going to get yet another one.
    We’re getting Miller’s Year One which will hopefully be the last one for a while (HAHAHAHA who am I kidding?). MoS might focus on Jor-El and Krypton but I don’t know if Smallville and the Kents will feature. Honestly the appeal of EO is that I want some Elseworld Superman stories about him as a pro, no more starting out crap.