View Poll Results: Should DC continue the Earth One Superman line?

Voters
43. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes.

20 46.51%
  • No

10 23.26%
  • Don't care

11 25.58%
  • KILL IT WITH FIRE!

2 4.65%
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    Extraordinary Member superduperman's Avatar

Default Should DC continue with the Earth One Superman line?

Now that JMS is gone, should DC continue to do an Earth One Superman book? Or should it just move on?
    Assassinate Putin!

I'd rather move on because I'd love to see the Earth One title used for something else (yes you know what I mean). But I wouldn't be opposed to continuing it. It wasn't as bad the second time around reading it, I thought. Still has its flaws, I'm not a fan of how they did the Krypton thing, for instance, but there's fun stuff to work with if anyone ever wants to go back to it.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

Extraordinary Member Doctor Know's Avatar

I imagine DC will just move on.

I didn't know JMS had left the project. I was under the impression that Earth One was his initiative.

Ultimate Member Last Son of Krypton's Avatar

I think Miller's Superman: Year One will end up being the new Earth One.

Quote Originally Posted by Doctor Know View Post
    I imagine DC will just move on.

I didn't know JMS had left the project. I was under the impression that Earth One was his initiative.
    I believe his eyesight is worsening which is why he’s not doing any more comics work.

@OP Yes absolutely continue it. There has to be someone out there willing to continue the story, and the fact that aside from respecting what JMS already established, you get complete creative freedom has to appeal to someone. I’d take over the book in a heartbeat. I’m also so done with origin stories for Superman, I hope Miller’s Year One is the last one for a while. Earth One Supes is all established and I hope he’s not abandoned.

I voted No.

I don't think it was all that interesting, nor did it really add anything of value regardless if Bendis used the someone blew up Krypton thing he came up with. Bendis changed that plot to his "signature" I want to get paid villain (much like everyone tries to create a Robin so the movie/cartoon money will roll in) so nothing lasting of note beyond a small concept.

It wasn't the worst Superman story, it's just not particularly memorable.

Extraordinary Member superduperman's Avatar

My understanding of Year One is that it's a stand alone project that has no connection to mainstream continuity or anything else. Sort of like American Alien. I would love to see Earth One continue just because they've already established so many elements to it and there are so many loose threads that need clearing up. They've managed to get some good momentum going and I'd hate to see that abandoned. I think a book a year would be a good track record but I doubt they'll be anywhere near that consistent. I think this is what has kept the Earth One line from really taking off as DC's Ultimates universe. They just put out a book whenever they feel like it and you get these five year gaps in stories that makes it hard to get attached to it. For instance, Johns and Frank are working on the next Batman volume but it's going to have to wait until they're done with Doomsday Clock. So we're looking at least a year until they can get back to it.
    Assassinate Putin!

Black Belt in Bad Ideas Robanker's Avatar

Haven't read it, so I can't speak from a well-read perspective, but when launching a project that is tied to one creator's vision, I feel it should end when that creator is done with it. I don't want any more New Frontier, for example, because that book is specifically Darwyn Cooke's baby. But if fans of Earth One Superman really want more, I see no reason to object because I don't know where it left off or how many threads remain loose.

It actually tells a pretty complete story, so standing alone as it is now works. There's not many dangling plot threads as I can remember outside of setting up the fued between Superman and the this-time-female Alexandra Luthor. But the Superman/Lex thing is forever, Superman stories can always end with that unresolved.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

I'd like to see it continue. Honestly, anything that would set up an alternative to the current canonical version of Superman would be nice. New52 Superman's return would of course be the ideal. If they want to bring the Superman set up in American Alien forward, that would at least be something, whether or not Max Landis is is the writer (I remember there was some kind of scandal involving him, so he might not be someone they could use, and he might be unavailable even if the scandal blew over). Superman: Earth One's Superman would be workable- ideally with JMS back, but with someone else if he's still set on not returning to comics. They could also do something new- the one caveat is that I would say please please please don't do another origin story- Clark should at least be in Metropolis at the beginning of anything new that they do.

I think there is a market out there for a younger edgier Superman without the marriage or the kid or the trunks. With a whole multiverse to work with, they could give us a monthly book or a yearly graphic novel or a miniseries or something without derailing their plans for SuperDad or ruining his marketability. One advantage of doing it outside the mainstream books is that we could even hypothetically get that R-rated Superman series I've always wanted to see, although that wouldn't be something that I'd view as a "must".

Would I prefer that the hypothetical younger edgier unmarried childless Superman be the main Superman in the main universe? Of course. But doing an alternate universe or whatever where I could follow his adventures, and he could evolve in his own continuity, would be a nice consolation prize and might not evoke shrieks from fans of SuperDad, who would get to keep their guy, too. It'd also leave the editors more free to do a Superman-Wonder Woman romance (Which moved the merch) and have a less powered or more aggressive Superman, maybe let him have fun and pound beers occasionally, etc.- when he's just an alternative version, there's no need to really hold back. I think half the people criticizing New52 Superman would have chilled if they had their Clark married to Lois acting like SuperDad is acting as the main thing and the New52 was like the Marvel Ultimates line or something. The New52 Superman was I think destined to eventually wind up with Lois and so on and so forth because he was their only Superman and in the end you are telling a different story to get to a similar (not identical place)- as a Superman from a different universe in his own continuity, the future is really wide open and you can double down on character traits that were probably mellowed to keep his appeal to the traditional audience as best they could.

One thing that would cut against doing it as Earth One would be that we get one graphic novel a year, tops, and maybe not even that, based on how they've handled all the other Earth One stuff. Also, I am not even sure a ton of people remember that Superman or that he was established as something so unique that they need to continue it. It might be better to do a monthly with the more recognizable new52 Superman or an all-new Superman, relying on a better established better known history and character in the former case (Who does have his fans and a large audience of people familiar with him), and providing a good jumping on point for new readers by starting fresh in the latter case (Just make sure you start in Metropolis- we could just take it for granted that Clark's history is roughly what it's always been and have differences referenced as need be if they are important to later stories). Even a yearly Earth One book is better than nothing, though.

There's enough of an audience out there for the New52 Superman or a Superman like him to do a monthly comic book in it's own continuity. I don't doubt that for a second. Sure, a lot of fans express hatred towards him and whatever, and they are very loud, but I think there are enough fans of the New52 Superman and people who just want to buy anything Superman (of either type), that it would support at least a middle of the sales pack alternate universe monthly about him. Stop tying it to the expectations they have of Action Comics or the Superman title, and approach it with the expectations they'd have for a new character, and I think they'd be pleased with the results. There may or may not be enough people who liked or like him to carry their oldest most prestigious books with the sales figures they'd like, but as his own alternative universe monthly, he'd do much better than anything new they could invent or old that they could bring back in the long run (I'll bet he'd outsell all these new books like Sideways).
    Last edited by SuperCrab; 05-13-2018 at 03:21 PM.

Earth one is a decent idea but their titles are pretty middle ground outside of WW. The lack of a consistent schedule doesn't really help.

As for Superman Earth One, its a decent title but I rather recommend American Alien instead.

I'd be ok with rebooting again with a new writer/artist team or bringing back an old favorite like Pak or Waid etc.

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

I'd be fine with getting rid of it. I never read it, didn't care about what I learned about it.

Wonder Woman is the only Earth One book that does anything for me. I'd be fine with getting rid of the whole line except that one, and go with Sacred's Ultimate-style idea. Maybe even transition WW: E1 over as the first series for that.

Incredible Member

Voted 'no'. The first book almost pure garbage, and the next two each managed to get worse. I supported it because I like the idea of the OGN format, but those particular stories aren't worth continuing from a creative point of view (no idea about sales. I know the first one did really well).

Astonishing Member

Much as I disliked that take on Superman, I'd hate to see either the idea of the Earth-One line without a Superman or worse to become a series of single creator redesigns of characters. I've seen enough beginnings for Superman, it would be nice to see some follow through outside of the "retcon of the month" stuff in Superman and Action.

Obsessed & Compelled Bored at 3:00AM's Avatar

Since there is no real shared continuity between the various Earth One books, it doesn't really matter. It's my understanding that, if a book is successful enough to warrant it, they do three volumes and that's it.

Superman got three volumes, Batman's third volume is on its way once Doomsday Clock wraps up, Wonder Woman Earth One Vol. 2 will be out this summer, Green Lantern Earth One is getting a volume two as well.

It's not like these books are building up to a Justice League Earth One book or anything. They're just new takes on the classic characters, free from continuity.