View Poll Results: Should DC continue the Earth One Superman line?

Voters
43. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes.

20 46.51%
  • No

10 23.26%
  • Don't care

11 25.58%
  • KILL IT WITH FIRE!

2 4.65%
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Father Son Kamehameha < Kuwagaton's Avatar

I'd say no because it's JMS' story and since he's no longer writing it, it'd just be like any other comic. We need a fresh start for an alternate continuity. I'd vote for doing a Superman Earth 1.

Quote Originally Posted by SiegePerilous02 View Post
    I'd be fine with getting rid of it. I never read it, didn't care about what I learned about it.

Wonder Woman is the only Earth One book that does anything for me. I'd be fine with getting rid of the whole line except that one, and go with Sacred's Ultimate-style idea. Maybe even transition WW: E1 over as the first series for that.
    If you like the idea of a Superman who is under the age of 30 it's probably the best thing after Morrison's New 52. Not crazy about it myself but still would recommend giving it a shot.

I went with "Don't care". I didn't think it was a very good book, but I didn't care enough about it where I think it should be done away with. I think it generally failed in trying to set up this alternate take on the character that could be used as a gateway for new readers, but if the ones that liked it want more and DC wanted to produce more then I don't see why it would be a problem. I'd rather see something fresh, but I don't know if DC would really do that now.

Quote Originally Posted by SuperCrab View Post
    I think there is a market out there for a younger edgier Superman without the marriage or the kid or the trunks. With a whole multiverse to work with, they could give us a monthly book or a yearly graphic novel or a miniseries or something without derailing their plans for SuperDad or ruining his marketability. One advantage of doing it outside the mainstream books is that we could even hypothetically get that R-rated Superman series I've always wanted to see, although that wouldn't be something that I'd view as a "must".

Would I prefer that the hypothetical younger edgier unmarried childless Superman be the main Superman in the main universe? Of course. But doing an alternate universe or whatever where I could follow his adventures, and he could evolve in his own continuity, would be a nice consolation prize and might not evoke shrieks from fans of SuperDad, who would get to keep their guy, too. It'd also leave the editors more free to do a Superman-Wonder Woman romance (Which moved the merch) and have a less powered or more aggressive Superman, maybe let him have fun and pound beers occasionally, etc.- when he's just an alternative version, there's no need to really hold back. I think half the people criticizing New52 Superman would have chilled if they had their Clark married to Lois acting like SuperDad is acting as the main thing and the New52 was like the Marvel Ultimates line or something. The New52 Superman was I think destined to eventually wind up with Lois and so on and so forth because he was their only Superman and in the end you are telling a different story to get to a similar (not identical place)- as a Superman from a different universe in his own continuity, the future is really wide open and you can double down on character traits that were probably mellowed to keep his appeal to the traditional audience as best they could.
    I too liked the younger Superman of the New 52, and I've been reading Superman off and on since I was a little kid in 1981 or so. I've stopped now as I'm not into family dramas. The Morrison run was my ideal and it would be great if something similar to it returned. I'm not holding out much hope though. I'd guess the Superman fan skews older and, as far as comics go, they tend to be pretty conservative.

Yep. Now that the New 52 is over there's the false narrative that it was an abject failure, but that certainly is not the case. The fact of the matter is that there were successful concepts, and New 52 Superman was definitely one of them. It earned a fanbase. The same fanbase as those who like the more post-Crisis take? Outside of groups like me who like things from both incarnations, obviously not. There are "line in the sand" sides, and depending where they land, there was definitely fans who rejected the New 52 version. Just like there were then some fans who rejected the Rebirth version. But the main point is, with proof the New 52 concepts had a fanbase, with proof there was a market for it, why the hell not give that back elsewhere so you can have the best of both worlds? In all honesty, to not do it, to me reeks of not only poor management, but also of some internal pettiness. I don't say that just because I liked it and want it back. I say that because obviously a lot of other readers liked it too.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

I found it kind of hilarious that when Superbro was around people whined about the armor, his “edginess”, that he wasn’t with Lois, etc, and now that Superdad is back as the main Supes people have gone back to whining that he’s overpowered, too perfect, the underwear is stupid, etc. The more things change...

Its a testament to the fact that, in part due to his age and longevity, in part due to DC's history of probably tinkering too much with him, that he's a character almost in a unique position where the totality of the fanbase is shattered like a piece of broken glass all over the place, preferring different aspects that constitute "their" Superman.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

There are other fanbases with similar problems (Flash, GL), but they squabble over "who should be THE GL/Flash/whatever". Supes problems also stem from the fact that people are certain they "know" who/what he is despite never having read anything with him in it, in addition to the people who have read his stories and argue over which should be the definitive version.

Extraordinary Member superduperman's Avatar

I never saw the difference, personality wise, between pre and post Flashpoint Superman. New 52, at least in terms of his personality, really wasn't all that different. My defense of Earth One Superman is that I wouldn't necessarily want him to be the main Superman. He only kind of works as an alternate take on the character.
    Assassinate Putin!

Quote Originally Posted by superduperman View Post
    I never saw the difference, personality wise, between pre and post Flashpoint Superman. New 52, at least in terms of his personality, really wasn't all that different. My defense of Earth One Superman is that I wouldn't necessarily want him to be the main Superman. He only kind of works as an alternate take on the character.
    The main point of contention seemed to be that Clark started out more focused on social justice rather than beating up monsters and aliens. There was also the dead Kents which in the Batman/Superman series was portrayed as making Clark more aggressive and passionate in contrast to the Earth 2 Superman (who actually doubled as a Pre-Flashpoint pastiche) who was calmer and more in control of himself. So Superbro got labeled a hothead.

But after Morrison, aside from a few minor differences, he was basically the same Superman as always. But people never stopped ragging on him for being "edgy". Then Truth happened and people just tore him apart. And now that Superdad is back people complain he's too "flawless" and "unrelatable". So the cycle continues, and it's why I'd be interested in either an Ultimate or the continuation of Earth One. Now that people have "their" Superman would they be more open to a younger, more passionate, aggressive and social justice focused hero?

Quote Originally Posted by RepHope View Post
    The main point of contention seemed to be that Clark started out more focused on social justice rather than beating up monsters and aliens. There was also the dead Kents which in the Batman/Superman series was portrayed as making Clark more aggressive and passionate in contrast to the Earth 2 Superman (who actually doubled as a Pre-Flashpoint pastiche) who was calmer and more in control of himself. So Superbro got labeled a hothead.

But after Morrison, aside from a few minor differences, he was basically the same Superman as always. But people never stopped ragging on him for being "edgy". Then Truth happened and people just tore him apart. And now that Superdad is back people complain he's too "flawless" and "unrelatable". So the cycle continues, and it's why I'd be interested in either an Ultimate or the continuation of Earth One. Now that people have "their" Superman would they be more open to a younger, more passionate, aggressive and social justice focused hero?
    I came up with a solution to the Superdad/New 52 conundrum back when the Lois & Clark mini came out. Superdad could have gotten a team book while New 52 stayed the main Superman. Sort of like Wally being the Flash for the Titans and Barry being the "main" Flash. Maybe even make Superdad the Superman for Justice League. This way everybody gets what they want. Those wanting a newer, younger Superman still gets one and older fans get to keep their Superman.
    Assassinate Putin!

Father Son Kamehameha < Kuwagaton's Avatar

The only "kill it with fire" imo, when they were working out Final Days, was the idea of ending up with "Superman and his friend Superman." No matter the differences in canon at that point, they were pretty much the same guy. So I'd take easily back Earth One, where he was in a completely different context that sat outside the DCU, before reviving the New 52. Not being yet another superhero helped smooth out some of the interactions I think. A while back I do remember people pointing out the similarities here, but there's a different feel that makes projects like Ultimate or Earth One work.

You would get some good, comparatively genuine feeling interactions like with Lisa, too.

BANNED

Οff course they should. I do not remember volume 3 that good but didn't they left some plots open?

Quote Originally Posted by Minerboh View Post
    Οff course they should. I do not remember volume 3 that good but didn't they left some plots open?
    FemLuthor got the Kryptonite from Zod’s ship. I was hoping Vol. 4 would feature Metallo.

I see the ending of the third volume as JMS trying to address some of the criticisms that the first couple volumes got. Especially the second one where he invaded that country and let the dictator get killed. No, he isn't perfect. Yes, he makes mistakes. But he also isn't meant to be the mainstream Superman. I've always said I see the EO franchise as being sort of the "beta" versions of the heroes. Their Batman is far from the world's greatest detective. Their Wonder Woman truly sees men as inferior to her. I haven't read the Green Lantern one yet but I'm sure there's some major flaw with it as well. This is why I think these books work. They are more human. More flawed. And that's okay! In the context of an alternate universe setting. I'm really hoping he gets to meet Major Lee. I want to see what that confrontation would look like. This is the woman who has essentially been trying to kill him for the last two books!
    Assassinate Putin!

Yeah people whined about Earth One Supes not being “muh Superman” when that was kind of the point. He wasn’t supposed to be. I liked those parts too, Clark taking the “I don’t have to save you” route.