see beauty in all things. charliehustle415's Avatar

Question Can I Get Away With Reading Only Hellboy Titles?

Hello Fellow Hellions,

I want to get into Hellboy, however, I simply do not have the resources to read all of the Mignolaverse. So the question I have is can I get away with only reading the Hellboy trade paperbacks up until Hellboy in Hell (so no BPRD or spin off titles) and be caught up with the goings on of Hellboy?

Also sorry if this has been posted before.

Short answer: yes you can.

If along the way there'd be any other (complete) book or books striking your fancy (like a Lobster Johnson or Witchfinder comic or TPB) you could read that too.

From what I understand there has always gone much care to letting complete stories hold up on their own, especially the first 20 years to them - since most audiences then would have been basically all over the place instead of predominantly caught up at all - as they might be nowadays still pretty much. This makes any making connections at reading later on all the more fun .

Lastly but not leastly: Welcome to the Forum.
    SLINT / Mike Mignola / Walt Whitman / Arthur Lourié / Dr. Pepper

Quote Originally Posted by Kees_L View Post
    Short answer: yes you can.

If along the way there'd be any other (complete) book or books striking your fancy (like a Lobster Johnson or Witchfinder comic or TPB) you could read that too.

From what I understand there has always gone much care to letting complete stories hold up on their own, especially the first 20 years to them - since most audiences then would have been basically all over the place instead of predominantly caught up at all - as they might be nowadays still pretty much. This makes any making connections at reading later on all the more fun .

Lastly but not leastly: Welcome to the Forum.
    Thank you for the welcome, after rewatching Hellboy: The Golden Army; the big red lug has reignited my fancy.

Okay so I will start with the standard Hellboy Trades and then possibly move on to the miniseries. The universe is so expansive and since it is being led by a single voice (Mignola) it is difficult where one story starts and where loose threads end.

Understood. Have you seen the latest (newly presented) trades or omnibi for Hellboy? Slated for 2018-2019?

Otherwise you couldn't go wrong with the Hellboy trades as how they were published, the early ones all single voice in art both as writing (until the trilogy drawn by Duncan Fegredo was started when mr Mike was needed for the second movie), as being either full story TPBs or Short Story Collections (titled "... And Other Stories").
    SLINT / Mike Mignola / Walt Whitman / Arthur Lourié / Dr. Pepper

If you don't own any big chunk of Hellboy, go for the Library editions. they are beautiful and have the entire story(and can be found on line at a price similar to the tpb). Each library edition is oversized and contains as much story as 2 tpb.

I just finished buying all the Library editions and they are amongst my favorite purchases.

You can find them anywhere but here is a place to start. https://www.instocktrades.com/TP/Dar...L-HC/DEC098045

Quote Originally Posted by charliehustle415 View Post
    Thank you for the welcome, after rewatching Hellboy: The Golden Army; the big red lug has reignited my fancy.

Okay so I will start with the standard Hellboy Trades and then possibly move on to the miniseries. The universe is so expansive and since it is being led by a single voice (Mignola) it is difficult where one story starts and where loose threads end.
    To let you know Hellboy omnibus comming out in May to June 2018.
    https://www.darkhorse.com/Blog/2574/...mnibus-collect

Fantastic Member

You totally can.

You wont though.

You can read any of the Mignola series without reading the others, really. Mignola and the other authors are really good about giving you all the information you need to know. And each series has a distinct enough vibe that none of them feel like an incomplete part of a bigger whole.

I'd say the only exception to this is the Abe Sapien series, which wouldn't have much of an impact separated from the events in BPRD: Hell on Earth that it splits off from (imo).

The new TPB omnibus probably would be a good idea to read, lots and lots of stories, chronological order...
    And after you finish HB, try BPRD one day, you won't regret!!

Quote Originally Posted by seusilva View Post
    The new TPB omnibus probably would be a good idea to read, lots and lots of stories, chronological order...
    And after you finish HB, try BPRD one day, you won't regret!!
    Awesome, thank you for all the responses. I am always wary getting into a new comic series especially with plethora of tie-ins, crossovers, and one-shots. I always feel like I will be missing big chunks of story.

I will definitely check it out and if I am interested in BPRD, I'll check it out.