Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Question How do I Metal Gear?

So Metal Gear Solid 5 is being released on Games with Gold in a few days. The only Metal Gear game I've ever played was Rising and I never beat the last boss. So any general tips on it? I don't usually like stealth games but this is a legendary series so I'd like to try it out.

nice to meet ya! master of read's Avatar

if you are gonna start chronologically:

MGS 3, Portable ops, peace walker, ground zeros, MGS 5, metal gear (for the MSX. the NES port is hot garbage), metal gear 2: solid snake, MGS 1, MGS2, MGS 4 and rising.

if you wanna start by release date:

metal gear, metal gear 2, MGS1, MGS2, MGS3, portable ops, MGS4, peacewalker, ground zeroes, MGS5.

Yeah, basically MGS V is a prequel to the Solid Snake games, following Snake Eater, Portable ops (sort of) Peace Walker, and the short prelude Ground Zeroes. It's a very, very complex story all around. MGSV is actually a bit lighter on the story compared to some past entries though-whereas the other games often had long cutscenes, the ones in this game are mostly short. There's also optional cassette tapes you can listen to which flesh out the story

V plays a little differently from most games in the series; while it still utilizes a lot of stealth elements of course, there is also the option to capture enemy soldiers (as well as vehicles, supplies and even wildlife) to build up your base, a concept used in the PSP games Portable Ops and Peace Walker. This kind of fits in with the idea of Big Boss being more of a commander in general, whereas Solid Snake was more of a lone wolf. Building the base allows you access to more weapons & items, as well as intel hints about the positions of enemies, and the ability to summon a helicopter or other support if you feel like being a bit less stealthy. You can also play as some of the soldiers as well. You also get rewarded for non-lethal captures or takedowns, something which is also reflected in the appearance of Snake.
    chrism227.wordpress.com Info and opinions on a variety of interests.

https://twitter.com/chrisprtsmouth

well mostly due to both kojima wanting to do a different game from MGS4, which had a lot of cutscenes and konami being dicks to him and not letting him really flesh out the story in MGSV the way he wanted.

Put a smile on that face Immortal Weapon's Avatar

If you want to get into Metal Gear you can honestly skip Portable Ops. It's story is skipable and nothing from that game is followed up on in other games.

BTW if you're only familiar with Rising, it's a lot different. Although "Rising" does have a stealth element, it's kind of tacked on compared to the other MG's, and the game itself is largely inconsequential to the main 'saga' (although the 'canon' argument I think kind of depends on one's preferences, although it wasn't as closely directed by Kojima as the main games are) and is mainly sort of a more light-hearted spin-off approach to the material. The main character of Raiden in Rising does play a part in the other games, though-he's pretty much the main character of Metal Gear Solid II (A switcheroo that initially caught fans off guard) and has a supporting role in his robot ninja form in the fourth game.

If you're confused a bit by V's story, basically as I said it's a sort of prequel to the Solid Snake games. Here's a sort of simplified summary (Some spoilers ahead) "Metal Gear Solid 3" started the prequel saga, and deals with a cold war incident. "Snake" or Jack, is sent to rescue a rocket scientist from a rogue Soviet colonel. However, there are unexpected complications Snake's mentor (The Boss) is attempting a sort of 'deep cover' in order to steal the location of a massive cache from the rogue colonel (Who also has a huge nuclear tank in development, developed by said scientist). However things don't go exactly as planned, and although he defeats the colonel's plans and his weapon, Snake is forced to execute his mentor. Snake loses an eye and is given the title of "Big Boss" but is devastated by her loss. During the mission, Snake also learns of a concept for another weapon-Metal Gear, an all-terrain walking tank with nuclear capability.

(Portable ops also happens at this point, but it's canon is kind of murky so I'm skipping over it).

Snake and the group of people who aided him on his mission decide to honor her memory, including a dream to unite the world, by creating a group called The Patriots/Cipher. However, Big Boss/Snake sort of disagree on what path that will take. Then Zero-his commanding officer during the original mission-decides to clone Snake, resulting in three "sons"-which causes Snake to leave the organization in a huff and work on his own as a mercenary, forming a small unit of men known as the Militaries San Frontieras, led by him and another man, Kaz Miller. CIPHER in the meantime becomes more corrupt, although certain members-such as Revolver Ocelot-a russian double agent in "Snake Eater" (and integral to the whole saga) as well as Snake's love interest Eva (also the surrogate mother of his 'sons') continue to support Big Boss.

In the "Peace Walker" game, Big Boss finds himself caught in a conspiracy involving yet more cold war stuff, this time in Costa Rica, including a massive weapon, the Peace Walker, which is pretty much the first true "Metal Gear" (Nuclear walking tank), and it's controlled by an AI patterned after the Boss. After that problem is over, Big Boss creates his own Metal Gear, the ZEKE, and his mercenary group massively expands. However, a young woman-Paz-under the care of his group is actually a mole of CIPHER, and attempts to steal the Metal Gear, but Snake manages to defeat her.

In "Ground Zeroes"She survives but is captured and imprisoned by XOF, a sort of CIPHER sub group, whose leader-Skull Face-is actually planning to overthrow Zero. A young member of MSF tries to infiltrate the camp but is also captured. Big Boss goes after both, but the whole thing is a trap-when Big Boss is away, MSF's ocean-based HQ "Mother Base" is attacked by XOF, and although Big Boss is able to evacuate Miller and a few others, MSF and the base is completely destroyed. What's worse, Paz is herself a booby trap, and explodes near the helicopter, putting Snake in a coma and killing or injuring the rest of the people onboard.

This is where Metal Gear Solid V pretty much opens.

I watched a Let's Play of MGS5 years ago so I know Kaz is still alive and I've been trying to find her on Mother Base

Paz is not alive. The Paz side mission is all an hallucination.

She's on the medical platform, I think on the second level. Basically there's a series of side-ops called "Wandering Mother base soldiers" where you'll have to subdue former MSF soldiers on the field who somehow wound up going a bit crazy ("Metal Gear Survive" kind of gives an explanation for this). They each provide a photograph which will trigger another paz cutscene until all the relevant side ops are finished.

Quote Originally Posted by Immortal Weapon View Post
    If you want to get into Metal Gear you can honestly skip Portable Ops. It's story is skipable and nothing from that game is followed up on in other games.
    well, big boss does get the money and idea to found the MSF/outer heaven in this one. and it is the first chronological appearance of a metal gear. as well as a bit more backstory about grey fox.

but yeah. skipping portable OPS won't affect your enjoyment of the storyline at all.

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisIII View Post
    BTW if you're only familiar with Rising, it's a lot different. Although "Rising" does have a stealth element, it's kind of tacked on compared to the other MG's, and the game itself is largely inconsequential to the main 'saga' (although the 'canon' argument I think kind of depends on one's preferences, although it wasn't as closely directed by Kojima as the main games are) and is mainly sort of a more light-hearted spin-off approach to the material. The main character of Raiden in Rising does play a part in the other games, though-he's pretty much the main character of Metal Gear Solid II (A switcheroo that initially caught fans off guard) and has a supporting role in his robot ninja form in the fourth game.

If you're confused a bit by V's story, basically as I said it's a sort of prequel to the Solid Snake games. Here's a sort of simplified summary (Some spoilers ahead) "Metal Gear Solid 3" started the prequel saga, and deals with a cold war incident. "Snake" or Jack, is sent to rescue a rocket scientist from a rogue Soviet colonel. However, there are unexpected complications Snake's mentor (The Boss) is attempting a sort of 'deep cover' in order to steal the location of a massive cache from the rogue colonel (Who also has a huge nuclear tank in development, developed by said scientist). However things don't go exactly as planned, and although he defeats the colonel's plans and his weapon, Snake is forced to execute his mentor. Snake loses an eye and is given the title of "Big Boss" but is devastated by her loss. During the mission, Snake also learns of a concept for another weapon-Metal Gear, an all-terrain walking tank with nuclear capability.

(Portable ops also happens at this point, but it's canon is kind of murky so I'm skipping over it).

Snake and the group of people who aided him on his mission decide to honor her memory, including a dream to unite the world, by creating a group called The Patriots/Cipher. However, Big Boss/Snake sort of disagree on what path that will take. Then Zero-his commanding officer during the original mission-decides to clone Snake, resulting in three "sons"-which causes Snake to leave the organization in a huff and work on his own as a mercenary, forming a small unit of men known as the Militaries San Frontieras, led by him and another man, Kaz Miller. CIPHER in the meantime becomes more corrupt, although certain members-such as Revolver Ocelot-a russian double agent in "Snake Eater" (and integral to the whole saga) as well as Snake's love interest Eva (also the surrogate mother of his 'sons') continue to support Big Boss.

In the "Peace Walker" game, Big Boss finds himself caught in a conspiracy involving yet more cold war stuff, this time in Costa Rica, including a massive weapon, the Peace Walker, which is pretty much the first true "Metal Gear" (Nuclear walking tank), and it's controlled by an AI patterned after the Boss. After that problem is over, Big Boss creates his own Metal Gear, the ZEKE, and his mercenary group massively expands. However, a young woman-Paz-under the care of his group is actually a mole of CIPHER, and attempts to steal the Metal Gear, but Snake manages to defeat her.

In "Ground Zeroes"She survives but is captured and imprisoned by XOF, a sort of CIPHER sub group, whose leader-Skull Face-is actually planning to overthrow Zero. A young member of MSF tries to infiltrate the camp but is also captured. Big Boss goes after both, but the whole thing is a trap-when Big Boss is away, MSF's ocean-based HQ "Mother Base" is attacked by XOF, and although Big Boss is able to evacuate Miller and a few others, MSF and the base is completely destroyed. What's worse, Paz is herself a booby trap, and explodes near the helicopter, putting Snake in a coma and killing or injuring the rest of the people onboard.

This is where Metal Gear Solid V pretty much opens.

for my money, i'd say rising is cannon, thanks to it taking place at the farthest end of the MGS timeline and thus doesn't interfere with established events. snake is dead by that point. the patriots are all gone and for the first time in decades, the world is free of their influence.

Quote Originally Posted by master of read View Post
    well, big boss does get the money and idea to found the MSF/outer heaven in this one. and it is the first chronological appearance of a metal gear. as well as a bit more backstory about grey fox.

but yeah. skipping portable OPS won't affect your enjoyment of the storyline at all.
    I think Kojima said that some of the events of PO are canon, but not all of it. Kaz mentions San Hieronymo, but when Chico describes the Peace Walker in the audio tapes, Big Boss refers to Granin's Metal Gear concept from 3, but doesn't say anything about fighting one before. Plus both games I think have revelations about how Operation Snake Eater was planned that I think are a bit contradictory.

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisIII View Post
    I think Kojima said that some of the events of PO are canon, but not all of it. Kaz mentions San Hieronymo, but when Chico describes the Peace Walker in the audio tapes, Big Boss refers to Granin's Metal Gear concept from 3, but doesn't say anything about fighting one before. Plus both games I think have revelations about how Operation Snake Eater was planned that I think are a bit contradictory.
    not really. if i remember correctly, cunningham does mention that he knew the truth of the boss' defection, hence his hatred of the CIA. and in PW, hot coldman is revealed to have been the only who masterminded her mission.

Quote Originally Posted by master of read View Post

Grey Fox being in the game is the biggest contradiction. In Metal Gear 2 states Big Boss meet Grey Fox working in a labor camp at Vietnam as a child.
    Last edited by Immortal Weapon; 05-21-2018 at 03:00 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Immortal Weapon View Post
    Grey Fox being in the game is the biggest contradiction. In Metal Gear 2 states Big Boss meet Grey Fox working in a labor camp at Vietnam as a child.
    well there you go.

but i do like how big boss explained how frank got his name. fits the character really.