Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Nite-Wing View Post
    What status did he have before
    not existing? limbo?
    Booster has failed a lot(mostly due to his incompetence) and this arc seemed like it was just used to set up another character for sanctuary(just like the arc before )
    Maybe that story will be interesting since its about time someone did something new and original with Booster
    Oh I dunno, a whole run dealing with this sort of missions every Tuesday? Being leader of Justice League Internacional? Knowing he will be the father of Rip Hunter and the future start of the Time Masters? Becoming Winderyder when his older body starts to fail due to Chrono energy? Being the proverbial shadow that keeps Time in place?

What exactly did King do here that is original?

BANNED

By the way, I can`t take seriously someone who defends this on grounds that "Booster failed alot". He`s got an exageratted meta reputaion among the hero community that is explicity boosted (pun intended) on purpose to suit his needs or goals. Sometimes they`re selfish and often heroic. That`s where his character shines the most.

Not a Newbie Member JBatmanFan05's Avatar

I'm a more sporadic Booster follower or reader, so I'm not so bothered by King's interpretation and use of him.

I liked this arc enough, reiterates (literally) King's suicidal perspective on Batman losing his parents. Probably some other little touches that I will notice when I read the softcover.
    Last edited by JBatmanFan05; 05-17-2018 at 08:05 AM.
    Things I love: Batman, Superman, AEW, old films, Lovecraft

Grant Morrison: “Adults...struggle desperately with fiction, demanding constantly that it conform to the rules of everyday life. Adults foolishly demand to know how Superman can possibly fly, or how Batman can possibly run a multibillion-dollar business empire during the day and fight crime at night, when the answer is obvious even to the smallest child: because it's not real.”

BANNED

https://www.newsarama.com/39974-huge...-tom-king.html

Yeah, saw that coming.

Dang monkey's paw.

Quote Originally Posted by Assam View Post
    https://www.newsarama.com/39974-huge...-tom-king.html

Yeah, saw that coming.

Dang monkey's paw.
    Well, at least it doesn't mean King will keep writing him...

Extraordinary Member Zero Hunter's Avatar

What status did he have before
    not existing? limbo?
    Booster has failed a lot(mostly due to his incompetence) and this arc seemed like it was just used to set up another character for sanctuary(just like the arc before )
    Maybe that story will be interesting since its about time someone did something new and original with Booster
    Booster's job is to guard the timestream. He knows that some events are fixed and can not be changed. Booster learned this lesson the hard way when he saved Ted Kord from being killed and it spun the whole world out of control. Booster does not alter time anymore. Batman even knows this because he found the photos Joker took when Booster tried over and over to stop Barbra Gordon from being shot. He failed because that is a fixed point. Just a few months ago Booster did everything he could to stop Superman from messing up time when Supes was obbsesed with finding out of the Jor El he had just fought was the real deal. Booster told him over and over and over that he could not change time and even fought Superman to try and stop him. Batman's parents being killed is a fixed point.

That is who Booster Gold is. Not this incompetent mess King wants to make him back into.

BANNED

The book has been terrible these last few months.

Very dark story, wow.

Way I look at it, Booster did not count on the effects of his act of saving Bruce's parents being so drastic. So he went a little crazy. Its not unlike Capra's Its a Wonderful Life where Stewart pretty much goes nuts at what his world has become.

Not to compare this story with that story directly.

Anyhow I enjoyed it, but it was pretty depressing and seemed to have little point to it.
    Every day is a gift, not a given right.

Quote Originally Posted by Zero Hunter View Post
    Booster's job is to guard the timestream. He knows that some events are fixed and can not be changed. Booster learned this lesson the hard way when he saved Ted Kord from being killed and it spun the whole world out of control. Booster does not alter time anymore. Batman even knows this because he found the photos Joker took when Booster tried over and over to stop Barbra Gordon from being shot. He failed because that is a fixed point. Just a few months ago Booster did everything he could to stop Superman from messing up time when Supes was obbsesed with finding out of the Jor El he had just fought was the real deal. Booster told him over and over and over that he could not change time and even fought Superman to try and stop him. Batman's parents being killed is a fixed point.

That is who Booster Gold is. Not this incompetent mess King wants to make him back into.

No I'm talking about the incompetent, selfish,fame and glory hound booster who was leading jli
    Who's ego got people killed and generally caused chaos
    King is hitting that character beat perfectly and actually going to delve deeper into the character.
    I dislike it when a character I like is flanderized but if its for a bigger purpose then there's really no need to complain so much

Some of you act like the present Booster is already the future Booster time master,big deal, etc etc when its a fact that he's supposed to be an incompetent idiot who needs to be shepherded til he reaches that potential

Extraordinary Member Zero Hunter's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Taylor View Post
    Way I look at it, Booster did not count on the effects of his act of saving Bruce's parents being so drastic. So he went a little crazy. Its not unlike Capra's Its a Wonderful Life where Stewart pretty much goes nuts at what his world has become.
    Like I said before though Booster KNOWS changing something as big as saving Batman's parents would have a huge effects on the timeline. This has been established many many times in the past that he knows major events can not be changed. Like I said before just saving Ted Kord threw the whole world out of wack, and Ted is not nearly as important as changing Bruce's life.

The only way Kings story works at all is if you ignore EVERYTHING that has been done with Booster Gold since the JLI days.

BANNED

It feels like they needed a three issue arc to get them to issue #50 for the wedding. Basically "do a story that resets itself with no actual consequences"

Still not as bad or confusing as the Batman/WonderWoman lost in another dimension for decades thing..WTF was that?

Incredible Member

It amazes me how people constantly try to justify King’s crappy writing. He doesn’t understand any of the characters he’s writing. None. This entire run has been complete and utter ****. It does seem that more and more people are realizing it though. Now we just need DC to realize it and remove him from the book.

Fantastic Member

I'm not sure how any of this is possible since Jurgens made it very clear that solid time is extremely hard to change.

No I'm talking about the incompetent, selfish,fame and glory hound booster who was leading jli
    King is hitting that character beat perfectly and actually going to delve deeper into the character.
    I dislike it when a character I like is flanderized but if its for a bigger purpose then there's really no need to complain so much
    He only lead twice. The JLGL one Winick wrote? The New 52 Booster that Jurgens wrote? Because he wasn't really like that except in weird Annual that I think Johns and Didio wrote. An annual that didn't really fit with any canon for a lot of reasons and has mostly been ignored. They had to change what happened since it made it look like Booster was being erased due to Superman/Wonder Woman happening.

I'm drawing a blank at the moment but when did his ego get people killed? The only chaos I recall that didn't have to do with trying to save people with time travel was making money schemes many of which were Ted's idea and Booster was against.

If someone doesn't like how a story was written they deserve to complain. Booster has been flanderized before and a lot of people aren't fans of it. This is a character that tricked and humiliated Lex Luthor in his first solo series. That was a serious business man and made real attempts at being a better person because he cared. Yet he gets dumbed down and there's this idea that he's always been this way because he has a humorous side.

He has depth, he's shown intelligence and skill even without his suit.
    Some of you act like the present Booster is already the future Booster time master,big deal, etc etc when its a fact that he's supposed to be an incompetent idiot who needs to be shepherded til he reaches that potential
    Booster is not "supposed to be an incompetent idiot" that's the image people see but that's not the reality. He's faked being stupid many times.
    Last edited by EMarie; 05-17-2018 at 01:32 PM.

BANNED

I`m rather arguing that you are obviously confused about the character and his publishing history if your claim is that King is "finally harnessing potential" when we`re exactly pointing out that the thing has already been done decades ago without crass mischaracterization to make it work.

Is it here that I should mention you and King have been living under a rock?
    Last edited by Aioros22; 05-17-2018 at 01:44 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Zero Hunter View Post
    Like I said before though Booster KNOWS changing something as big as saving Batman's parents would have a huge effects on the timeline. This has been established many many times in the past that he knows major events can not be changed. Like I said before just saving Ted Kord threw the whole world out of wack, and Ted is not nearly as important as changing Bruce's life.

The only way Kings story works at all is if you ignore EVERYTHING that has been done with Booster Gold since the JLI days.
    He did it because he knew it would have huge effects on the timeline. That was the point. In fact, his knowledge that the death of Batman's parents is a fixed point helps to convince me that he knew the changes he incurred would not end up being permanent no matter what transpired. Time would correct itself.

Reckless? Sure I guess. But again he knew it would fix itself because he was messing with something that could not be changed.

I think you probably shouldn't be reading King's Batman because you don't like it.
    Every day is a gift, not a given right.