Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

This is the only arc that i downright dislike, i'm not exactly a fan of King's run, but every previous story at least has something that hook me. But this one, i'm just glad that i didn't spend my money on it. Also, Booster is officially added to the list characthers that Tom go wrong rigth after Jason and Holly

Ultimate Member Last Son of Krypton's Avatar

I wonder what Dan Jurgens thinks of this arc?

According to King’s twitter, big plans are coming up for Booster Gold, so I wouldn’t be surprised if he ended up being part of whatever Sanctuary is going to be (Graphic novel, miniserie, a concept throughout other books, etc), so this might have just been the second step towards that, since Ivy’s arc was the first one as far as we know

Anyways, I enjoyed this arc, art was really good, cool that Daniel was chosen for this one, since he’s at his finest when dealing with gruesome scenes. As for the writing, it was weird seeing BG acting like that in the first issue, I can understand his behavior going forward, because of the whole situation, but it seems that he had collapsed before coming out with the idea of saving Bruce’s parents, which could be the reason why he might end in sanctuary with Ivy. Only time will tell, but as a short arc, I had lots of fun. I didn’t take it seriously and I think that’s the best way to enjoy it. It was a nice dosis of black humor.
    Last edited by Chubistian; 05-16-2018 at 12:36 PM.
    "The Batman is Gotham City. I will watch him. Study him. And when I know him and why he does not kill, I will know this city. And then Gotham will be MINE!"-BANE

"We're monsters, buddy. Plain and simple. I don't dress it up with fancy names like mutant or post-human; men were born crueler than Apes and we were born crueler than men. It's just the natural order of things"-ULTIMATE SABRETOOTH

Extraordinary Member Zero Hunter's Avatar

Man this story was just wrong. It totally got Booster wrong on every level. They just had a story a few months ago over in Superman where Booster was doing everything in his power to stop Superman from messing up the future, and then here he is doing the opposite and acting like idiot? That is not who Booster Gold is. This read like it was written by someone who only ever knew Booster from the JLI days and never looked at anything after that.

A very subpar issue.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Chubistian View Post
    I didn’t take it seriously and I think that’s the best way to enjoy it. It was a nice dosis of black humor.
    I think that`s part of the problem. If it`s dark humor, what is the lesson to be learned in the story.

Everthing is a mess for no reason (Boosters antics aren`t really explained - what, he wanted to be part of the superhero family? Since when was that ever an issue) and it ends as it starts, with someone shooting their braincells out.

Okay, and?

Weird. Booster's unexplained behavior takes me out of the story, and I love time travel stuff. This was NOT Booster, however.
    Read my free superhero webcomic, The Ill!

http://theill.thecomicseries.com/comics/540/

I thought the ending was surpricingly strong for what seem like a pretty ok story
    I, like most people here I suppose, did not enjoy the portrayal from booster, It just seems pretty OoC and not even something that pre-52 Booster would do even. but I thought this was pretty good overall.

BANNED

The scary thing is King planning to use him again.

And that`s a writer with professed love for the character. Imagine if he hated him.

Quote Originally Posted by Aioros22 View Post
    I think that`s part of the problem. If it`s dark humor, what is the lesson to be learned in the story.

Everthing is a mess for no reason (Boosters antics aren`t really explained - what, he wanted to be part of the superhero family? Since when was that ever an issue) and it ends as it starts, with someone shooting their braincells out.

Okay, and?
    I doubt there's a lesson to be learned, it has more to do with Booster Gold being an analogy of a soldier that, after seeing so much pain and terrible things, or maybe after a particular event, can't deal with it and he loses his mind. Ivy' story also had a lot to do with people that has been hurt and aren't mentally well, but with superheroes and villains, thus the existence of Sanctuary. It would have been nice to see why BG cracked, but he crearly wasn't in his right mind, so he didn't follow logical procedures despite his reasonings. He kept on justifying things that can't be justified, it was a plan full of holes that only him could not see
    "The Batman is Gotham City. I will watch him. Study him. And when I know him and why he does not kill, I will know this city. And then Gotham will be MINE!"-BANE

"We're monsters, buddy. Plain and simple. I don't dress it up with fancy names like mutant or post-human; men were born crueler than Apes and we were born crueler than men. It's just the natural order of things"-ULTIMATE SABRETOOTH

Thats interesting.

Amazing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Chubistian View Post
    I doubt there's a lesson to be learned, it has more to do with Booster Gold being an analogy of a soldier that, after seeing so much pain and terrible things, or maybe after a particular event, can't deal with it and he loses his mind.
    I'd be way more okay with this idea if it is presented sensibly in a one-shot, not via a three-issue arc of an over-the-top grimdark fest that includes gun-toting DickBats shooting heroes and feral Catwoman mauling Alfred to death.

BANNED

It is an interesting idea but it fails to be presented properly as so if that was the analogical intent nevermind that such a twist looks ill placed on a story involving basic mischaracterization as if the last decade or so never happpened.

Very awful story. At least the art was pretty. I generally think Booster is lame, but I kind of liked him since the Brave and the Bold cartoon. I just don't think King understands the character nor has been keeping up with his current status. I guess it was just filler to line up the wedding with issue 50.

Quote Originally Posted by SixSpeedSamurai View Post
    Very awful story. At least the art was pretty. I generally think Booster is lame, but I kind of liked him since the Brave and the Bold cartoon. I just don't think King understands the character nor has been keeping up with his current status. I guess it was just filler to line up the wedding with issue 50.
    What status did he have before
    not existing? limbo?
    Booster has failed a lot(mostly due to his incompetence) and this arc seemed like it was just used to set up another character for sanctuary(just like the arc before )
    Maybe that story will be interesting since its about time someone did something new and original with Booster

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Nite-Wing View Post
    What status did he have before
    not existing? limbo?
    He just popped up in Action Comics a couple months ago doing exactly the opposite of what he did here, stopping Superman from changing history. And while his timeline was very wonky, it was still clearly supposed to be Pre-Flashpoint Booster.

Quote Originally Posted by Nite-Wing View Post
    Booster has failed a lot(mostly due to his incompetence)
    Maybe that story will be interesting since its about time someone did something new and original with Booster
    I take it you haven't read 52 or his solo book.

it's very irksome to me that one of my favorite heroes is gonna be in King's hands for the foreseeable future.