Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Amazing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Things Fall Apart View Post
    Universal War One?

Also, surprisingly I thought Green Lantern: Earth One was a more grounded take on the concept. It's definitely somewhat more plausible than the regular continuity comics and tries to hew closer to hard sci-fi.
    Yeah I forgot to mention UW1. It's in a folder that I've been DLing stuff to and haven't assimilated it into my genre folders. Will look at GL: Earth One, thx.

Quote Originally Posted by JQP View Post
    Damn dude, sensory overload! I mean, you know, in a good way.

It'll probably be tomorrow before I can give you a proper reply to all of that (I am only awake because Cuban coffee), but rest assured you've given me a lot to look into.

Edit: I'm a big Larry Elmore fan. It's a pity he didn't do more sci-fi stuff. Absolutely love the SF cover. And his work on Gamma World.
    I spend hours at comic cons digging through boxes looking for unique sci-fi comics (I love super-heroes, sword & sorcery and horror comics too, but sci-fi draws me like no other), and have been gaming since '81 (have met Elmore at various Origins and Gen Con shows over the years, he's a great dude as well as a talented artist), so this kind of stuff is in my wheelhouse. I can't get to my stuff too easily right now (house reno particularly on the hobby room, but if you need more recommendations let me know I can try to find some more, but like you said, plenty of fodder already there. I look forward to seeing your reactions to some of the stuff.

One last recommendation I will give you, if you like 70s era sci-fi and are on social media, there's a site devoted to sci-fi art (particularly paperback covers but comics too) from that era they have tumblr http://70sscifiart.tumblr.com/ and fb https://www.facebook.com/pg/70sscifi...=page_internal and I am always finding something new to seek out from the stuff they post.

-M
    Comic fans get the comics their buying habits deserve.

"Opinion is the lowest form of human knowledge. It requires no accountability, no understanding." -Plato

Amazing Member

Yeah in the folder that I forgot:

Adam Strange (Andy Kubert; top notch)
    Bad Planet Apocrypha (art looks gorgeous, though I didn't see a whole lot of space or spaceships in the issue I scanned for like 5 seconds)
    Copperhead (Looks pretty good at first blush)
    Doctor Aphra (Art looks great)
    Faster Than Light (A lot to like here)
    Grimjack (not really in this wheelhouse, but I love Tim Truman)
    Hawkworld (another one that seems more low-tech than sci-fi, but still worth looking at)
    Memories (Bilal)(Gorgeous)
    Prison Ship (old school loveliness)
    Robotech (2017)(just glanced at it but it looks great)
    Screaming Planet (another one not in the wheelhouse but great-looking nonetheless)
    Star Raiders (top notch!)
    Star Hawks (really good; think that was Gil Kane - didn't stop to check the credits)
    Tales of Honor (very good-looking painted/painted over CG book in the wheelhouse)
    The Black Lamb (not in the wheelhouse but did I mention my Tim Truman fetish?)
    The Centron Files (not to my taste, but there's a lot of interesting things to look at)
    The Forever War (pretty good art, and definitely in the wheelhouse)
    The Massive (good modern-day naval art is almost as good as good sci-fi space travel art)
    The Universal War (Excellent)
    Unknown Worlds of Science Fiction (good art but meh, not nearly as spacey as I'd hoped from the title)
    Yiya (I REALLY like this art, and the backgrounds get a lot of love)

Edit: thanks M, I have plenty for now, but it's good to know there's another helping if I need it.

I like super-heroes too, but I'm burned out on it for the foreseeable future (with exceptions for the very best stuff of course). I'm digging looking into horror, sci-fi, and fantasy. Heh, don't get me started on fantasy, I couldn't even find one "standard" (Tolkienesque) title I could sink my teeth into...

Some of the Pathfinder stuff looked a lot better than I expected it to, though.

If you haven't figured it out by now, I'm a total art snob, lol.
    Last edited by JQP; 05-14-2018 at 01:05 PM.

Amazing Member

Jeez when I put it all in a list like that, it doesn't seem as bad a haul as I made out...

Metabarons is all kinds of awesome. Just be clear that it's less in the line of 2001's serious speculative fiction and more balls to the wall mad concepts thrown at you at high speed. Still very very good. There is a hardcover which collects the whole thing for a decent price (for the page count).

Have you tried Masamune Shirow's stuff? Ghost in the Shell, Appleseed, Orion etc. That's pretty hard sci-fi - to the point where I tend to get a bit confused (less so with Ghost in the Shell). I've had a few books of his for years which I haven't got round to trying because I need a day when I'm feeling particularly clever.

Also, Planetes is pretty good.

Amazing Member

Dan, looking at GitS now, thx. Will check out his other work too. (and yeah I'm a huge Gimenez fan. I think I like his work on The Fourth Power better than Metabarons, though)

My jaw's still hanging open over how good the art on Atari Force was, compared to what I expected.

Amazing Member

I don't know how much space is in it because I've only skimmed a couple issues, but I like the art on Invisible Republic.