Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by mathew101281 View Post
    She's immortal, she could have came here during the 40's and still be around.
    Not in every continuity. And when she decided to leave depends on when she decided she wanted to leave the island and when the opprotunity to do so presented itself.

And again, it still has nothing to do with Superman being the first superhero.

Simple, I don’t want WW in the JSA. There are plenty of other female characters who have stronger ties to the JSA. Before Major or anyone else jumps on me, I KNOW that WW had early golden age ties. I think that Batman, Superman, and Wonder Woman should be Justice League only.
    Last edited by Jekyll; 05-15-2018 at 07:38 AM.
    AKA FlashFreak
    Favorite Characters:
    DC: The Flash (Jay & Wally), Starman- Jack Knight, Stargirl, & Shazam!.
    MARVEL: Daredevil, Spider-Man (Peter Parker), & Doctor Strange.

Current Pulls: Not a thing!

If the JSA is on a different Earth than the current-day heroes, returning Wonder Woman to her membership would not be a problem.
    If the JSA and JLA are back as if they've always been on the same Earth, and the JSA's 1940s history is (somewhat) restored, then having Diana-as-Wonder-Woman being a member would make no sense or be convoluted since they just recently tried to straighten out her history/origin AGAIN at the start of Rebirth.

Quote Originally Posted by Jody Garland View Post
    The JSA had a rule that no member could have their own solo book, hence why Superman, Batman and Wonder Woman were not full members and why Flash and Green Lantern stepped down post-WWII.
    Actually, Flash went from full-time to "honorary" member back with All Star Comics #6 which was released back in late June of 1941, almost half a year before Pearl Harbor and the U.S. formally entering WWII.

Alan Scott became an honorary member with issue #8, which would have been out in late October 1941, also just prior to the attack on Pearl Harbor.

By issue #24 (on sale in early 1945), Jay and Alan were back to regular membership in the group.

Quote Originally Posted by FlashFreak View Post
    Simple, I don’t want WW in the JSA. There are plenty of other female characters who have stronger ties to the JSA. Before Major or anyone else jumps on me, I KNOW that WW had early golden age ties. I think that Batman, Superman, and Wonder Woman should be Justice League only.
    Disagree with the "stronger ties" part, at least in terms of the Golden Age (or even the Silver & Bronze Ages).
    And as far female heroes active back during the Golden Age, most of those characters that would have had any connection to the JSA would have been through the All-Star Squadron, and that was a grouping that involved EVERY superhero/mystery wo/man connected with DC and set during the early 1940s.

Retired

People make a big stink about Wonder Woman being the secretary, but I look on the positive side. Diana was supposed to be completely out of active membership, like Jay, Alan, Bruce and Clark; however, Mayer and Fox found a way to keep Diana around, even though not active, by giving Diana Prince an administrative reason to be there.

That must mean they saw the value in the character and were willing to bend the rules so WW could draw in more readers.

But I think even if the JSA didn’t have the rule forcing those stars out of active duty, Sheldon Mayer might still have had to put Diana on desk duty on account of Marston jealously guarding the use of his heroine.

The secretarial function was the best compromise they could settle on for those times.
    Last edited by Jim Kelly; 05-15-2018 at 09:00 AM.

I'm going out on a limb in being OK with someone having a different opinion on this.

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

Have her be a member if it is on Earth-2, which sadly seems very unlikely.

Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy View Post
    If the JSA is on a different Earth than the current-day heroes, returning Wonder Woman to her membership would not be a problem.
    If the JSA and JLA are back as if they've always been on the same Earth, and the JSA's 1940s history is (somewhat) restored, then having Diana-as-Wonder-Woman being a member would make no sense or be convoluted since they just recently tried to straighten out her history/origin AGAIN at the start of Rebirth.
    This is the main reason I do not want to add her if it is on the main Earth. We just had Year One and Godwatch, set firmly in the present day. It wouldn't do well to screw things up again. Had they planned things differently, I'd be fine with her Golden Age adventures being intact during the WWII era and all the stuff with Godwatch, Barbara Minerva, Ares's kids, etc. being during the present day after she comes back. But they missed the boat.

Quote Originally Posted by mathew101281 View Post
    i've always thought the need to make WW's 1st journey off the island a recent thing was unnecessary. It was always a contrived mechanism that stemmed from the need to make Superman the first superhero (he's not by the way.)
    Didn't Byrne say that he wanted the time traveling Wonder Woman to be Diana, but DC didn't want her pre-dating Clark and Bruce? I never got why they didn't want Wonder Woman coming first, but were totally fine with the rest of the JSA coming before him. Like if anyone has the right, it's her.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Jokerz79 View Post
    I did enjoy Hippolyta being in the JSA during post crisis.
    Me too. I especially liked her short time in the JSA book by Goyer and Robinson.

I want DC to put the JSA on their own earth again. And with that set-up, it would be easy to put Wonder Woman on the JSA.
    “Somewhere, in our darkest night, we made up the story of a man who will never let us down.”

- Grant Morrison on Superman

Extraordinary Member Zero Hunter's Avatar

I am with you on this. I don't want exact copies of Earth 1 heroes on Earth 2 anymore. There are so many different character that to use the trinity just seems lazy to me. I would much rather see Fury as the rebellious daughter who leaves the island and have Diana in the Hippolyta role. I don't want Kal-L or Bruce Wayne running around in costume either.

Retired

If it were the original Earth-Two, or anything close to that, then surely there would be a stark contrast. Part of the fun of Earth-Two was seeing these characters that were similar yet so different. It wouldn’t be nearly as much fun if the JSA was just a bunch of random no-names completely divorced from recognizable figures.

In the 1970s, distinct versions of Earth-Two Superman, Batman and Wonder Woman emerged. And I’d say that was due to Clark, Bruce and Diana having evolved so much (as Earth-One characters) that it was easy to make the contrast. There was almost as much difference as Hawkman and Hawkman.

If the JSA is going to be remade in the current JLA’s image, then what would be the point? No matter what happens you can’t change history, ‘though many have tried.

Extraordinary Member Dr. Poison's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ascended View Post
    Why not just leave Diana's involvement in the JSA intact?

Diana could make her first trip to Man's World during the early 40's as the threat of WWII got the attention of the Amazons. After the war she could return home, or just live a quiet life out of the spotlight until Clark's arrival prompts her to go public again. You could even include the white jumpsuit/super spy era as her continuing her heroic career in a more covert fashion.

That causes a few problems with the supporting cast but there's ways to work around it. With Steve especially I think there's plenty of room to say he somehow gained a long lifespan. Perhaps he was exposed to some experimental serum or energy, perhaps the gods blessed him, perhaps he fell into a Lazarus pit once and got an extra century added to his life, who knows?

Etta is a bigger problem, but that character's been messed up and changed so many times this is hardly the worst of it. And really, all you need to say with her is that Diana took her to the Island, and Etta liked it so much she decided to stay for a few decades and the unique dimensional properties of the Island prevented her from aging.

Or hell, if you want to be really lazy, just say that Diana used the purple healing ray on them both and that's why they're still alive and active. I don't think that's the way the technology has been shown to work but it'd be a fairly minor retcon very few people would notice.

I like this idea the best. If this isn't an option, have Hippolyta, Hessia, Myrna Black, or Estoristos(sp?) fill the role of Wonder Woman but not be called Wonder Woman.
    Currently(or soon to be) Reading: Alan Scott: Green Lantern, Batman/Superman: World's Finest, Fire & Ice: Welcome to Smallville, Green Arrow, Green Lantern, Jay Garrick: The Flash, Justice Society of America, Power Girl, Superman, Shazam, Titans, Wesley Dodds: Sandman, Wonder Woman, & World's Finest: Teen Titans.

Or, on a different track, back in the origin story for the JSA, Hitler was able to summon a large group of Valkyries to fight the heroes that would become the JSA.

What if one of them somehow realized that Hitler/the Nazis were in the wrong, so stayed behind when the others left and decided to switch sides? She could become the new "Wonder Woman" equivalent.

Boisterously Confused

Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy View Post
    Or, on a different track, back in the origin story for the JSA, Hitler was able to summon a large group of Valkyries to fight the heroes that would become the JSA.

What if one of them somehow realized that Hitler/the Nazis were in the wrong, so stayed behind when the others left and decided to switch sides? She could become the new "Wonder Woman" equivalent.

Doesn't marvel already have one of those?

This discussion is why "everything happened" is a terrible idea.

Quote Originally Posted by Bored at 3:00AM View Post
    Given the popularity of the WW1-set movie, the best solution to me would be to establish that, at some point early in her superhero career, Diana was thrown back in time where she secretly fought in various historical settings ranging from the Trojan War with Achilles & Hector, in Camelot against Morgana LeFay, alongside Mulan against the Hun invasions in China, the Napoleonic Wars, WW1 and WW2, where she joined the Justice Society for a few years, before being returning to the present day, having retroactively added a centuries long legend of a "Wonder Woman" who had appeared at various key moments in history.
    There is a storytelling upside to this choice. The Phantom is one of the most popular comics characters in the Nordic countries. For those not familiar with the character, the Phantom was created in 1936 by Lee Falk as a costumed crime-fighter, who carried on the legacy since the 15th century of other costumed crime-fighter. The first Phantom survived a pirate attack that killed all the other people on his ship, and he swore an oath to fight pirates and brigands that has been continued on with his descendants ever since. The current Phantom is the 21st or 22nd.

And the most popular adventures tends to be the historicals. One reason is that many of the historicals can be tragedies where the Phantom or their loved one dies, but another is that they give lots of scope for stories and settings not present in our day. For Wonder Woman, the possibilities would be even greater.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Jokerz79 View Post
    I did enjoy Hippolyta being in the JSA during post crisis.
    Me too. I wasn't always a fan of the things John Byrne did in DC Comics but I loved this idea. She was one of my favorite parts of the 1999 JSA book. Too bad she only stayed around for 15 issues.