Default Original Kirby art for under $1,000?

Is it possible? Ideas on where to look outside the bay?

Latverian ambassador Iron Maiden's Avatar

From what I have noticed, most of Kirby's work, or any well known art from the Silver age or Golden Age, goes through the auction houses like Heritage Auctions or sometimes even Sothebys.

Here's is a link to some current listings on Heritage Auctions for Jack Kirby

There's some pieces from his Mister Miracle and the Demon for under 1,000. There's even a Thor Journey into Mystery page, a Black Panther page, a page from Fantastic Four #41 but that one goes up for auction later this year. I would think anything from his Fantastic Four or Thor run will be several thousand

Quote Originally Posted by Iron Maiden View Post
    From what I have noticed, most of Kirby's work, or any well known art from the Silver age or Golden Age, goes through the auction houses like Heritage Auctions or sometimes even Sothebys.

Here's is a link to some current listings on Heritage Auctions for Jack Kirby

There's some pieces from his Mister Miracle and the Demon for under 1,000. There's even a Thor Journey into Mystery page, a Black Panther page, a page from Fantastic Four #41 but that one goes up for auction later this year. I would think anything from his Fantastic Four or Thor run will be several thousand
    Awesome, thanks.
    Last edited by Blastaar; 05-15-2018 at 07:46 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Blastaar View Post
    Awesome, thanks. You wouldn't happen to know anything about his signatures would you? I picked up some pieces in the early 90's that were numbered and signed, but I have heard rumors that his wife was signing for him in the final years. Not sure if that is fact or fiction.
    You're welcome.

I've read that rumor too but I don't know if there is any way to prove it either way. The only thing I have that is signed by Kirby is a book I picked up at a local book shop about 20 years ago, the large Art of Jack Kirby book. There were only a limited number of the signed editions.

Quote Originally Posted by Iron Maiden View Post
    You're welcome.

I've read that rumor too but I don't know if there is any way to prove it either way. The only thing I have that is signed by Kirby is a book I picked up at a local book shop about 20 years ago, the large Art of Jack Kirby book. There were only a limited number of the signed editions.

That is awesome, there is one on ebay that I was going to snag, ended up going with another piece. Created another thread with a picture to get opinions.

ooops wrong thread

Collectors seem to be abuzz about a whole slew of Kirby art hitting the market in the near future. Based upon some collections from the recently departed. I am not enough of an expert to know who these collectors were but for anyone interested it may be possible to pick up less important pieces once the market has settled down after these sales, just because of supply and demand issues.

I say 'once the market has settled down' because for a while it will inevitably a seller's market if high profile pieces hit the headlines.
    Last edited by JKtheMac; 05-17-2018 at 05:12 AM.