All-New Member

Question Dark Days relation to The New 52

Hi,
    maybe this is dumb question but I am little bit confused. I started with comics two years ago and read mostly esssential comic books like Dark Knight Returns, Watchmen, Sandman, Preacher etc. It is only about a year I started to read what was currently happening in DC.
    I loved Batman by Scott Snyder. Then Rebirth happened and batman by King which I don’t like too much. That lead me to All Star Batman and Metal. Both by Snyder.
    There is my question. In Dark Days The Forge there are memorabilias from Court Of Owls. I thought that Rebirth erased in some way The New 52. Would someone be so kind and help a noob like me to understand what is going on?
    Thank you very much.
    Last edited by Nakasharal; 05-15-2018 at 07:08 AM.

Extraordinary Member Restingvoice's Avatar

Rebirth Batman is mostly built on New 52, so all of Snyder's stories still apply
    The change is in the details, like Batman first appeared more than ten years ago instead of six like the New 52, or Catwoman's relationship with Batman is rewritten to include events from past continuities plust some new ones.
    As for how Duke is still a teenager despite Zero Year presumably being pushed back to a decade, everybody ignore that just like how during New 52 everybody ignored that Damian is ten years old despite Batman haven't met Talia six years ago.
    Last edited by Restingvoice; 05-15-2018 at 06:58 AM.

All-New Member

Thank you very much. So Rebirth is more like cosmetic change than some real game changer?

Extraordinary Member Restingvoice's Avatar

It's a fixing process that's not done yet. When New 52 happened a lot of development from previous continuity was erased, so now they're slowly bringing it back. The main story of Rebirth is about how the characters are realizing parts of their life were taken away.

Some of them, like Catwoman's relationship with Batman and Superman with Lois, are already brought back. Others, like Superboy Kon-El, the status of Cassandra Cain and Stephanie Brown as Batgirl, and Wally West's children remain to be seen.

Not a Newbie Member JBatmanFan05's Avatar

What Restingvoice is saying is correct. Snyder's stories remain. Before New 52 even, DC brass was saying Batman didn't need fixing and "if it ain't broke, don't fix it." And they didn't exactly stick to that with New 52 (but Batman's word didn't change as much as many other characters), but with Rebirth they're really going back to that approach with Batman..not erasing, but restoring and connecting and merging (and smoothing over).
    Last edited by JBatmanFan05; 05-15-2018 at 08:16 AM.
    Things I love: Batman, Superman, AEW, old films, Lovecraft

Grant Morrison: “Adults...struggle desperately with fiction, demanding constantly that it conform to the rules of everyday life. Adults foolishly demand to know how Superman can possibly fly, or how Batman can possibly run a multibillion-dollar business empire during the day and fight crime at night, when the answer is obvious even to the smallest child: because it's not real.”