Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Mighty Member

off the top of my head- Ron Perlman as Hellboy. the vocal inflections, the way he talks... the laconic swagger combined with absolutely terrible luck... it just felt like the character I enjoyed from the comics came alive on film. del Toro was also an excellent match as far a directing was concerned. (although I'm excited to see what Neil Marshall does as well. both directors seem like a very good match for this character)

A little unfair since we haven't seen David Harbour's version yet, but Ron Perlman's Hellboy. I won't say anything about how he looked like the character stepped off the page, that goes to all the make up and prosthetics people behind the scenes, but he nailed the tone and personality of the character and was an absolute delight to watch.

Quote Originally Posted by Totoro Man View Post
    off the top of my head- Ron Perlman as Hellboy. the vocal inflections, the way he talks... the laconic swagger combined with absolutely terrible luck... it just felt like the character I enjoyed from the comics came alive on film. del Toro was also an excellent match as far a directing was concerned. (although I'm excited to see what Neil Marshall does as well. both directors seem like a very good match for this character)
    Beat me to it by a minute, damn.

Quote Originally Posted by FlashFreak View Post
    Yes! Though I thought Tobey as Parker was fantastic. I watched Spider-Man 2 today and it still ranks as my favorite comic book movie.
    Yes the first two Spider-Man movies were, well, amazing.

These movies, especially the second one, proved you could do an in-depth story that focused on characterization ans character interaction and still sell big. Peter losing his powers probably psychologically because he so desperately wants a life and happiness as himself was the very definition of grounding him as a real person with real desires and hopes. Yet it also portrays him as the true hero who can never walk away from his responsibilities. He will always be Spider-Man. Also, perfect ending.

I also give a huge nod to the first Captain America movie. It did a great job of giving us the spirit, the heart, of Steve Rogers while also giving us believable reasons why the government would put him into a gaudy costume and give him a fancy stage name. Oh I know. In the comics, it was more than enough that he's a super hero existing in a super hero world. But in the movie, we get real reasons. Since he's one of a kind, he isn't going to make that much difference- they think- on the lines so they make him into an entertainer doing USO shows hence the costume and name until he shows them how valuable he really is.
    Power with Girl is better.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Powerboy View Post
    Yes the first two Spider-Man movies were, well, amazing.

These movies, especially the second one, proved you could do an in-depth story that focused on characterization ans character interaction and still sell big. Peter losing his powers probably psychologically because he so desperately wants a life and happiness as himself was the very definition of grounding him as a real person with real desires and hopes. Yet it also portrays him as the true hero who can never walk away from his responsibilities. He will always be Spider-Man. Also, perfect ending.

I also give a huge nod to the first Captain America movie. It did a great job of giving us the spirit, the heart, of Steve Rogers while also giving us believable reasons why the government would put him into a gaudy costume and give him a fancy stage name. Oh I know. In the comics, it was more than enough that he's a super hero existing in a super hero world. But in the movie, we get real reasons. Since he's one of a kind, he isn't going to make that much difference- they think- on the lines so they make him into an entertainer doing USO shows hence the costume and name until he shows them how valuable he really is.
    Agree with you there....I actually loved Maguire as Spidey and as Pete; Robert Downey was great as Tony Stark, Chris Evans perfect as Cap.America and I also thought Sebastian Stan first rate as the Winter Soldier. And despite the height difference I think Hugh Jackman made a terrific Wolverine.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by motherofpearl1 View Post
    Agree with you there....I actually loved Maguire as Spidey and as Pete; Robert Downey was great as Tony Stark, Chris Evans perfect as Cap.America and I also thought Sebastian Stan first rate as the Winter Soldier. And despite the height difference I think Hugh Jackman made a terrific Wolverine.
    I think RDJ made a great Tony Stark, but I didn't find him to be anything like an adaptation of the character in the comics.

Boisterously Confused

Quote Originally Posted by Elmo View Post
    SUPERMAN in MAN OF STEEL and i'm not gonna explain why sorry
    You are just no fun...

Not a Newbie Member JBatmanFan05's Avatar

Charles Xavier because Patrick Stewart was just that perfect for the role, comic faithfulness. Forever, comic fans had fancast Stewart as Xavier and everyone proved unsurprisingly correct.
    Things I love: Batman, Superman, AEW, old films, Lovecraft

Grant Morrison: “Adults...struggle desperately with fiction, demanding constantly that it conform to the rules of everyday life. Adults foolishly demand to know how Superman can possibly fly, or how Batman can possibly run a multibillion-dollar business empire during the day and fight crime at night, when the answer is obvious even to the smallest child: because it's not real.”

Quote Originally Posted by AJBopp View Post
    I think RDJ made a great Tony Stark, but I didn't find him to be anything like an adaptation of the character in the comics.
    Rather, the comic character suddenly turned into RDJ. I get that it's a desperate and understandable attempt to sell more comics. I just hope it's temporary.

I remember in the '80s when Marvel was criticized for making Dr. Banner more attractive and socially outgoing, attractive to women and the person who carried the majority of a story rather than the Hulk- in other words, like the Banner of the television show. Marvel's response in a letter's column was that the blunt fact is that more people watch the show by a hundred times or a thousand than the number of people who read comics and that's a huge audience even if making the comics more like the show draws in even a fraction of one percent of them.
    Power with Girl is better.

Funny thing is, despite the movie being pretty bad, the Eric Bana Banner was pretty much the closest match to the comics-socially awkward, emotionally introverted etc (Although as noted, this isn't always Banner's personality in the comics).

Norton and Rufallo seem based more on Bixby, although Norton still kind of physically resembles the comics Bruce Banner (kind of thin); while Rufallo definetly looks a bit like Bixby (especially the hair)
    chrism227.wordpress.com Info and opinions on a variety of interests.

https://twitter.com/chrisprtsmouth

Micky Rourke's Marv in Sin City.
    It has so much more of an impact when you physically LOOK like the character to begin with. Marv don't wear no mask either (unless you count the bandages) so there are much fewer opportunities to stick a stunt-man into a costumed cape in a live action movie. He was charming at times and all of his stilted dialogue torn right from the book worked.
    Beefing up the old home security, huh?
    You bet yer ass.

Savior of the Universe Flash Gordon's Avatar

Chris Evans as Captain America. He needs a few more solo films, preferably with the Russo Brothers.

George Reeves as Clark Kent/Superman.

Best is hard. But the first time I thought a comic really came to life was Superman II. The fight with Zod in Metropolis was so much bigger than anything I had seen.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

Joe Gilgun/Cassidy

Getting that out of the way...

The "Rob Perlman" Hellboy sticks out as a performance and a great use of effects at the time it was done.