BANNED

Default What does a Spider-Man run have to be like to be good?

What is the general consensus for a good Spidey run? I'm really into Spectacular Spider-Man right now but I don't read any other Spider books; I just have always seen people hating on the Spidey books for the past few years. But I've seen an equal degree of love and hate for decades; what to you makes a good Spider-Man run? It seems like whenever a writer tries to completely change and add wild new dynamics the reception is always polarizing, people seem to love the more classic style stories but nonetheless crave something more

Cheap answer, but it comes down to good stories.

It could have villains Spider-Man hasn't fought before (JMS, Stern) or the classics (Millar, Sacasa.) It could be a new direction (JMS/ Romita, Big Time) or a return to form (Brand New Day, Bendis/ Bagley Ultimate Spider-Man.)
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

Mighty Member

For me, a good run (as opposed to a great run) is merely about not screwing things up over a sustained number of issues. A good example would be Paul Dini on Detective Comics (while Morrison was running wild with Damian and the Black Glove) - he didn't really add much new or interesting, but it's still a fun run to read and re-read and I happily recommend it to anyone that wants some good Batman stories. I think Spec. right now under Zdarsky is meeting that threshold (with the potential to exceed it) - Teresa seems well used, the JJJ issue was excellent, and I don't think I've read a bad issue (there are some voice issues with SSM 1-4, but it's not prohibitive). At this point, I have built up some trust with Zdarsky - if we see a goofy solicit or there's a cliffhanger ending that seems dumb, I'll give him the benefit of the doubt until his story is finished.

Other than general commentary about quality or enjoyment, I don't have strong opinions on specific things that do or don't have to happen in order for something to be a good Spider-man story or run; there's a counter to every litmus test-like criterion.

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Mets View Post

It could have villains Spider-Man hasn't fought before (JMS, Stern) or the classics (Millar, Sacasa.) It could be a new direction (JMS/ Romita, Big Time) or a return to form (Brand New Day, Bendis/ Bagley Ultimate Spider-Man.)
    The creators could also focus on the supporting cast and Spidey's (or Peter's) interactions with them. In addition, maybe the creators can also explore Spidey's civilian life. Things people consider mundane, could be interesting reading if written properly.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by K7P5V View Post
    The creators could also focus on the supporting cast and Spidey's (or Peter's) interactions with them. In addition, maybe the creators can also explore Spidey's civilian life. Things people consider mundane, could be interesting reading if written properly.
    Like a Matt Fraction's Hawkeye starring Peter Parker?

Quote Originally Posted by Elmo View Post
    Like a Matt Fraction's Hawkeye starring Peter Parker?
    Actually, I was thinking of Kurt Busiek's "Untold Tales of Spider-Man" which also featured a Hawkeye appearance (I still miss the ol' Hawkeye costume).

But your idea of Peter/Spidey getting the Fraction/Hawkeye treatment sounds interesting.
    Last edited by K7P5V; 05-17-2018 at 02:57 AM. Reason: Made corrections.

For me, there has to be strong soap opera elements. Peter isn't just a superhero. You can get by with single issues where he only exists as Spider-Man, but those kinds of stories will never sustain the narrative for a character who mostly relies on his supporting case to drive the plot. Whichever villain is used, new or old, there needs to be a connection with Spider-Man's cast. If a new character is introduced, there needs to be a connection with all the existing characters or there will be no interest.

To me its a balance between soap opera and hero stuff.
    Every day is a gift, not a given right.

Quote Originally Posted by K7P5V View Post
    JMS took the core supporting cast, just focusing on May and MJ, and it was good.

Others had a larger cast, and it was also good.

There isn't one approach that a Spider-Man run has to take in order to be good.
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

Jewish & Proud Feminist Shadowcat's Avatar

Balancing drama, the fighting, the cast, and continuity flawlessly. Sure, there are things that get snipped here and there, but they have to feel like the characters. Writers are just stewards for the legacy of this character. If they want to become breakout stars, use their own characters.

BANNED

Don't insult our intellect with stupid retcons for starters...

World's Greatest Hero blackspidey2099's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Mets View Post

This. I don’t think there is any thing that’s absolutely NECESSARY to have a good Spider-Man run ASM long as the plots and subplots are all (or mostly) interesting. As long as the writer treats Peter and his cast with respect, and writes Peter competently, I think the plots are the most important key to success for any run.
    "Anyone can win a fight when the odds are easy! It's when the going's tough - when there seems to be no chance - that's when it counts!" - Spider-Man