View Poll Results: How do you feel about mutants and non mutants joining each others’ teams?

Voters
75. You may not vote on this poll
  • Mutants being on non x-teams OK/ non mutants being on x-teams OK

49 65.33%
  • Mutants being on non x-teams OK/ non mutants being on x-teams NOT OK

20 26.67%
  • Mutants being on non x-teams NOT OK/ non mutants being on x-teams OK

1 1.33%
  • Mutants being on non x-teams NOT OK/ non mutants being on x-teams NOT OK

5 6.67%
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Lightbulb Should mutants be on non-x-men teams? Should non-mutants be on x-men teams?

EDIT: Poll question should say JOINING not JOKING

Some posts in the “should captain marvel rejoin the X-men?” thread made me notice a topic perhaps worth discussing.

Do you think it’s ok for non mutants to be on xmen teams? How about mutants on non X-men teams? If you’re ok with one but not the other, please elaborate. (I’m not saying I disagree I just want to see discussion here.)

Personally I could see it both ways. On one hand as a minority I think it’s fair and healthy for X-men to have mutant-exclusive teams. This occurs in the real world. For example, Women’s sports, African-American majority colleges, and I think I’ve even heard of a school in ny for LGBTQ students only, but I could be Making that up accidentally. Point is, non normative/minority groups can benefit from an environment of like-only individuals.

On the other hand, I think having X-men teams with a mix of mutants and non mutants could provide a needed working relationship with allies.

So what do you think?
    Last edited by Grey; 05-15-2018 at 08:18 PM.
    Your favorite superhero- the one you visit these forums to talk about. Would they talk to others the way you do on this message board?

Mighty Member

Mutants should be on non X-Men teams, because it's normal.
    The Russian Winter Guard is made mostly of mutants like Ursa Major, Darkstar, Vanguard and I am sure I am forgetting some.
    Sabra is a mutant that works pretty much for the MOSSAD.
    MicroMax and Pete Wisdom work for the British intelligence services, and Maverick when he was a mutant used to work for West Germany as an anticommunist agent.

That is the true Xavier dream, integration, mutants who identify with their countries and dont try to create a nation of mutants. The Collective Man is Chinese first, and him being mutant is very irrelevant in comparison to his nationality.

In the USA, it's more controversial because of things like Avengers vs XMen. I also think Vance Astrovik (Justice) and Firestar were robbed a lot of character development they could have or should have had in XMen books. What saved Firestar is her popularity thanks to the Spiderman cartoon.

I also think X-Men don't have a monopoly on mutants. There could be another team made only of mutants who are heroes too. Say, Emma, or any other mutant billionaire, buys the Mutants Without Borders trademark and creates a team, sending them on missions through the third world.

Quote Originally Posted by lurkerforyears View Post
    Mutants should be on non X-Men teams, because it's normal.
    The Russian Winter Guard is made mostly of mutants like Ursa Major, Darkstar, Vanguard and I am sure I am forgetting some.
    Sabra is a mutant that works pretty much for the MOSSAD.
    MicroMax and Pete Wisdom work for the British intelligence services, and Maverick when he was a mutant used to work for West Germany as an anticommunist agent.

That is the true Xavier dream, integration, mutants who identify with their countries and dont try to create a nation of mutants. The Collective Man is Chinese first, and him being mutant is very irrelevant in comparison to his nationality.

In the USA, it's more controversial because of things like Avengers vs XMen. I also think Vance Astrovik (Justice) and Firestar were robbed a lot of character development they could have or should have had in XMen books. What saved Firestar is her popularity thanks to the Spiderman cartoon.

I also think X-Men don't have a monopoly on mutants. There could be another team made only of mutants who are heroes too. Say, Emma, or any other mutant billionaire, buys the Mutants Without Borders trademark and creates a team, sending them on missions through the third world.
    What are your thoughts on non mutants being on an xmen team?
    Your favorite superhero- the one you visit these forums to talk about. Would they talk to others the way you do on this message board?

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Grey View Post
    What are your thoughts on non mutants being on an xmen team?
    I am ok with it, but they have to be mutant related, not any random person.
    Warlock is a "mutant" techno-alien, as in, he isn't a psycho like his father and the other members of his species, Danger in a way is a mutant AI too (just not xgene mutant), Kavita Rao is an expert in mutant biology who actually knows how to depower mutants, Ink got tattoes from a mutant, Jubilee and Dani Moonstar are-were depowered mutants.

The weirdest one would be Longshot, and even he ended up being very mutant related thanks to the Dazzler-Shatterstar thing

I wouldnt be ok with Hawkeye being an xman, it would have to be someone with a strong connection to mutants, mainly interested in mutant issues.

I only care about x men. They can be mutants or humans. Whatever. Besides the X-men I don't care.

Quote Originally Posted by lurkerforyears View Post

I wouldnt be ok with Hawkeye being an xman, it would have to be someone with a strong connection to mutants, mainly interested in mutant issues.
    Many years ago some friends and I were discussing exactly this. The character we actually were discussing was John Walker, US Agent. He wasn't doing anything at the time and we thought he could be an agent setup to protect Charles Xavier. That is what gets him into the team setting.
    “A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools.”
    ― Douglas Adams, Mostly Harmless

"That's the problem with our opposition – they keep thinking nobody could possibly be as stupid as we are. Fools 'em every time."
    ―Lando Calrissian[src]

Let's mix-mash this piece. This team gets some mutants, this one gets non-mutants, Everyone gets someone!
    Le Suck it, Dolphin!

-God I am so tired.

Whatever makes for a good story.

I don't see being a mutant barring characters from non-X-Men teams anymore than not having superpowers bars Hawkeye and Black Widow as Avengers. I think the inverse is true as well, but since X-Men teams seems more insular to the mutant community (for good or bad), I guess I'd appreciate an in-universe reason why. (On the other hand, given that mutant powers aren't that different from other superpowers, it would make total sense that the Xavier Institute would benefit non-mutant super-powered students as well.)
    Doctor Strange: "You are the right person to replace Logan."
    X-23: "I know there are people who disapprove... Guys on the Internet mainly."
    (All-New Wolverine #4)

Peter Scott/Scott Peter SpiderClops's Avatar

Mutants on non X-team is fine. It's actually good.

Non-mutants on X-team? I'm not a fan of that. Then X-Men becomes just another superhero team. It's like FF adding members besides their family(only Spider-Man makes it work on FF because they've always treated him like family, and even then it doesn't work in the long run).

P.S. the way the poll options are written, they seem quite negative. I voted "Mutants on non X-team ok/non-mutants on X-team not ok", but what I mean is that I'm not a fan on the latter, doesn't mean I think it's "not ok" for non mutants to be on X-teams.
    “Indifference and neglect often do much more damage than outright dislike.”
    -Albus Percival Wulfric Brian Dumbledore, Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix

I actually do miss the A/X mash up that was UA. Seeing Thor fight Apocalypse in the ye olden days was sick.
    Captain, in Order to build a better world, sometimes means tearing the old one down... And that makes enemies.

Astonishing Member stormphoenix's Avatar

Yes I’d be down for it
    #StormsMootyPass
    #PlusUltra!!!
    Ororo Munroe(Bright Lady), Hadari Yao, The Cloud Runner, Goddess of the People.
    Goddess of the Storm Ororo Munroe
    #StormCaster
    The Piercing Light of AmunRa!!!!!

Astonishing Member AbnormallyNormal's Avatar

I'm much more comfortable with non-mutants on X-squads than mutants on non-X
    Chris Claremont, Peter David, Mike Carey, Cullen Bunn = canon. Others = fanfic.

The King Fears NO ONE! Triniking1234's Avatar

I have no problem with mutants on non-X-teams and non-mutants on X-teams.
    #Silk_in_XMen

Plus if that happens writers will lay off the mutants as endangered species narrative and tell some good superhero stories.

Well I understand why some do not like the idea of having non-mutant characters in an x-men team but in some ways this is Xavier's dream and X-men are not the only ones fighting against prejudice.

As long as it's one or two characters in a team of mutants and not the other way I'm cool with the idea.

Why should X-men for example refuse a non-mutant young man who wants to learn to use his powers that he has won by accident or experience? Just because he are not a mutant should they send him to the Avengers or another group of heroes? Is this really the right thing to do?