Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910

Along the same line as what MRP posted above, I'd say that it's important to keep in mind that "Image Comics" is just one piece of the equation.

For a creator to seriously consider putting work out as an Image title, they would have to take a realistic look at that most of the cost will be theirs to shoulder. I have a feeling that a good-sized portion of the work that doesn't wind up at Image might be because some new creators have trouble managing that method of making a profit from their work.

Astonishing Member

Why does Spawn 285 sell so many copies in May. Source is Comichron.com

Does anyone know?

Quote Originally Posted by DanMad1977 View Post
    Why does Spawn 285 sell so many copies in May. Source is Comichron.com

Does anyone know?
    Here's a piece on the issue in question...

https://www.bleedingcool.com/2018/05...uried-in-text/

Quote Originally Posted by MRP View Post
    That's where opportunity costs comes in. Image has a small staff that can only do so much work in a day. If you take up their time and effort on one title, you can't put them on another. The flat fee is per issue (trades are slightly different) and it is less work to keep selling a successful title than to continuously launch new titles. Retailers know what to order on established titles, less so with new books, especially if the creators don't have a track record. Also, failing titles can be a disincentive for future clients. If a book doesn't sell enough to cover the fee, the creators get nothing for the book, which is not a good situation for the creators or for Image themselves. Having a successful track record brings more creators to Image looking to publish there. Having a rep for quality books goes a long way with getting retailers to order new titles as well. Building some kind of customer confidence (and the real customers for publishers in the direct market are retailers who order the books and those orders determine success or failure of a book) is essential to success in the direct market where retailers buy books on a non-returnable basis. So taking the fees and just publishing whatever might have some short term appeal in terms of making a quick buck, but it's not a sound long term strategy for building a successful business plan and a publishing house that continues to attract both creators and retailers.

-M
    Ah. Ok I think my tiny brain can process this and it makes a lot of sense. Inherently, just the nature of the beast and nothing Image can do about it, established creators have an edge. But from what I'm reading, Image is doing all it can to level the playing field but asking them to take crazy risks is unwise.

Jeez, I'm glad I have zero talent. I'd rather go be an accountant than deal with all this bullchit of trying to make a comic.
    Save Ferris...

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by numberthirty View Post
    Here's a piece on the issue in question...

https://www.bleedingcool.com/2018/05...uried-in-text/
    Ok, thanks, but i still dont understand what the fuzz is all about.