Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast
    Extraordinary Member

Far from it. The 'hype' is dying, but Image iMO publishes the best content.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Smoking Gun View Post
    I believe you mean Valiant not Vertigo.
    No, I meant Vertigo (which started in 1993). Every title in the Vertigo imprint was of course set its own world, but if you were a fan of some of them you were probably a fan of a lot of them, because they shared sort of a mission to be weird, unrestrained, complex, and intriguing. Image comics nowadays are a lot like that, and it's good for fans of that kind of books to have a publisher that attracts creative talent who want to produce stories like that. Long may it continue!

Fantastic Member

I used to have mostly Marvel titles on my pull list and only a few Image titles but now the majority is Image with 1 Marvel title . Never read must of the older Image . But rather enjoying the current titles .

All-New Member

Quote Originally Posted by seismic-2 View Post
    No, I meant Vertigo (which started in 1993). Every title in the Vertigo imprint was of course set its own world, but if you were a fan of some of them you were probably a fan of a lot of them, because they shared sort of a mission to be weird, unrestrained, complex, and intriguing. Image comics nowadays are a lot like that, and it's good for fans of that kind of books to have a publisher that attracts creative talent who want to produce stories like that. Long may it continue!
    My apologies. What I have read from Vertigo is also mostly disjointed where each book has its own universe. Which of the Vertigo books shared a universe.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Smoking Gun View Post
    My apologies. What I have read from Vertigo is also mostly disjointed where each book has its own universe. Which of the Vertigo books shared a universe.
    That was my point - Vertigo comics didn't share a "universe"; instead, they shared an attitude, namely a commitment to presenting stories characterized by a general atmosphere of anything-can-happen, weirdness abounds, things can be hard to figure out, so sit back and enjoy the ride. That's the same attitude (rather than a universe) that's shared by Image creators today, and it's an approach to comics publishing that I continue to appreciate.

Still winning!

Quote Originally Posted by seismic-2 View Post
    That's probably why Image comics received so many Eisner nominations this year. Those awards committees are really heavily into c- and d-list stories and art!

And yet you know so much about the quality of their current offerings.
    Come on, bro, you're taking his opinion outta context.

There's nothing inherently wrong with thinking Old Image was great and new Image is garbage. And vice versa.

Personally, I agree with that poster that the current stuff can't hold a candle to the old stuff. No amount of awards can change my opinion of this.

I don't think it's really even fair to compare the old stuff to the new stuff. It's totally different. With the exception of a few self-contained mini-universes among single creators. It's all different.

Not like some of the old titles from Valiant vs Valiant today.

Outside of Invincible, I've never read any book from the Image-Verse. Really love all the self contained creator owned books they put out though. Saga, Deadly Class, Kill or Be Killed, Sex Criminals are all so good, I'm ok with the shared universe not being a huge priority for the company if it means more books like those.

Spectacular Member

Marvel was back to being good again for a short period of time with the Civil War saga, but now its back to being trash again.

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by DebkoX View Post
    Far from it. The 'hype' is dying, but Image iMO publishes the best content.
    Marvel was back to being good again for a short period of time with the Civil War saga, but now its back to being trash again.

BANNED

Someone correct me if i am mistaken but Walking Dead is an Image comic and it's a top seller. And quite recently, Millarworld was trasitioned successfully. Why Image should be considered a dead company?

Quote Originally Posted by Minerboh View Post
    Someone correct me if i am mistaken but Walking Dead is an Image comic and it's a top seller. And quite recently, Millarworld was trasitioned successfully. Why Image should be considered a dead company?
    The original poster was referring to a larger shared Image universe that all the various properties and heroes were a part of during the beginning of the company. Now everything is separate and there aren't any Image titles really sharing a company wide universe.
    My comicartfans.com collection. Lots of Ryan Ottley:
    http://www.comicartfans.com/GalleryD...asp?GCat=49719

Invincible universe wiki (work in progress):
    http://invincibleuniverse.wikia.com/..._Universe_Wiki

Of course there are a few gems in-between.
    Let‘s be honest, without TWD Image would probably be dead by now.
    Back in the day Image titles sold in their hundreds of thousands, even millions.
    Today‘s numbers are sometimes lower than 4,000.
    Yes, looks very healthy.

Quote Originally Posted by dimo1 View Post
    Back in the day Image titles sold in their hundreds of thousands, even millions.
    Yes, looks very healthy.
    Please. TWD is their best selling book but even without it theyd still rank as NA's third biggest publisher. Sales on individual titles are down across the board, not just Image, but theres also way more product pushed out these days. The markets just diversified.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by dimo1 View Post
    Yes, looks very healthy.
    I think you are forgetting trades.

And I can tell you folks are reading those trades. I have met plenty of Motor Crush, Wicked & Divine & Saga fans. In fact more of them than certain big two proprieties.