Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678910 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by AngryComicBookNerd View Post
    Well that's the thing though, why should I have to dig deep to find the new and upcoming talent? Shouldn't they be promoted more? Wasn't that one of Image's original missions, to give the indies a chance? I understand it's easier to sell a book from a know commodity than an unknown one. I'm not saying let's shelf TWD for some rando comic. I'm just saying, maybe I'd like Image to take a few chances on things outside the box. And I mean outside the box as it is drawn today. Make it easier for the casual or new fan to pick up a comic based on its actual content and not on the creator's prior accomplishments. I already paid 3.99 for that stuff. Tell me why I should pay 3.99 for this comic right here. Or maybe just put out an anthology or something. When was the last time Image had a breakthrough hit from an unknown creator?
    They did put out an anthology. By a bunch of unknown creators...

And its the retailers that order books. And they order in low numbers because the teams are unknown factors. This isnt an Image problem exclusivly.
    Image is unique because they give so much control and and complete ownership to their creators. That comes with its own sets of challenges which extends to creator responsibility for marketing. But asking then to differ from that is to deny the very aspect that makes Image such a unique opportunity for indie creators in the first place.

BANNED

Well that's the thing though, why should I have to dig deep to find the new and upcoming talent? Shouldn't they be promoted more? Wasn't that one of Image's original missions, to give the indies a chance? I understand it's easier to sell a book from a know commodity than an unknown one. I'm not saying let's shelf TWD for some rando comic. I'm just saying, maybe I'd like Image to take a few chances on things outside the box. And I mean outside the box as it is drawn today. Make it easier for the casual or new fan to pick up a comic based on its actual content and not on the creator's prior accomplishments. I already paid 3.99 for that stuff. Tell me why I should pay 3.99 for this comic right here. Or maybe just put out an anthology or something. When was the last time Image had a breakthrough hit from an unknown creator?
    I think you are downplaying how much early Image also had well established talents early on. Most of the founders were not unproven talent. Image has always been a mix between new and established talent.

Quote Originally Posted by Dark-Flux View Post
    They did put out an anthology. By a bunch of unknown creators...

And its the retailers that order books. And they order in low numbers because the teams are unknown factors. This isnt an Image problem exclusivly.
    Image is unique because they give so much control and and complete ownership to their creators. That comes with its own sets of challenges which extends to creator responsibility for marketing. But asking then to differ from that is to deny the very aspect that makes Image such a unique opportunity for indie creators in the first place.
    I agree, it's not an Image problem exclusively. But Image is not unique in giving so much control and ownership to its creators. Pretty much every indie publisher does that. I'm not telling them to stop that. But Image does control who they publish and who they promote. There's only so much a creative team can do to promote their stuff on their own. All I'm saying is maybe promote some of the lesser known things that may be hidden gems.
    Save Ferris...

Quote Originally Posted by Bor View Post
    I think you are downplaying how much early Image also had well established talents early on. Most of the founders were not unproven talent. Image has always been a mix between new and established talent.
    Yep, this is true. It's possible I just am in a rut and nothing from Image is giving me that feeling I used to get a few years ago when it was really excited to get their new stuff. It's also very possible that the next few months will yield some better offerings. I also think the way the system is rigged, it's very tough for unknowns to prove themselves and people with real talent may be more inclined to go elsewhere with it.
    Save Ferris...

When was the last time Image had a breakthrough hit from an unknown creator?
    On this...

Everyone who can tell me who wrote Scene Of The Crime, raise your hands now.

Quote Originally Posted by numberthirty View Post
    On this...

I'm sure someone can google it. I personally do not know though I feel like I should as a comic fan.

I was thinking something like Luther Strode was the last breakout hit for a relatively unknown at the time.
    Save Ferris...

Quote Originally Posted by numberthirty View Post
    On this...

Ed Brubaker

Still winning!

I'm sure someone can google it. I personally do not know though I feel like I should as a comic fan.

I was thinking something like Luther Strode was the last breakout hit for a relatively unknown at the time.
    You asked when was the last time Image had a breakthru hit by an unknown and the guy mentioned a comic originally released by Vertigo...back in 1999. WTF?

So the last time Image had a breakthru hit by an unknown creator was from a comic released by Vertigo 19 years ago?

Ok. Image really needs to get their **** together.
    Last edited by JFP; 06-15-2018 at 11:43 AM.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by JFP View Post
    You asked when was the last time Image had a breakthru hit by an unknown and the guy mentioned a comic originally released by Vertigo...back in 1999. WTF?

So the last time Image had a breakthru hit by an unknown creator was from a comic released by Vertigo 19 years ago?

Ok. Image really needs to get their **** together.
    Unlike Marvel and DC who has it every other week? When was the last time any company had something like that at all? Image has lots of descent selling books and while single issues rarely dominate several of their books are some of the biggest sellers when it comes go collected editions.

I'm saying "Even great writers aren't going to regularly do gangbusters numbers early on." It's kind of asking a lot. It's going to be the exception way more than it's going to be the rule.

Most writers are going to build a fan base that will do those sorts of numbers over a career.

Still winning!

All I know is Angrynerd asked when was the last time Image had a breakthrough hit from an unknown creator. And numberfifty responded with Scene of the Crime, a comic published by Vertigo almost two decades ago.

Quote Originally Posted by JFP View Post
    All I know is Angrynerd asked when was the last time Image had a breakthrough hit from an unknown creator. And numberfifty responded with Scene of the Crime, a comic published by Vertigo almost two decades ago.
    How about the Walking Dead from relative unknowns Robert Kirkman and Tony Moore from October, 2003? Or Ultra which launched the careers of unknowns Joshua and Jonathan Luna from August, 2004? Or the Nightly News from unknown Jonathan Hickman from November, 2006?

Everybody starts somewhere and an awful lot of creators get their big break at Image comics. Some hit pretty quick--with others--it's a slow burn as books gradually build.

Quote Originally Posted by Erik Larsen View Post
    How about the Walking Dead from relative unknowns Robert Kirkman and Tony Moore from October, 2003? Or Ultra which launched the careers of unknowns Joshua and Jonathan Luna from August, 2004? Or the Nightly News from unknown Jonathan Hickman from November, 2006?

Everybody starts somewhere and an awful lot of creators get their big break at Image comics. Some hit pretty quick--with others--it's a slow burn as books gradually build.
    Somebody gets it.

Just one fan's opinion, I don't think it's failing but I do feel like Image and most of the indie scene is stagnating. Possibly because there's too many comics out there and they all seem to blend together in the same category of 'different for the sake of being different'. So I guess my question is, what is Image doing to promote and cultivate new talent?
    We publish book by creators I've never heard of all the time. I don't follow everybody everywhere but a ton of new creators have broken in at Image. It is a harder sell. New talent is by nature an unknown quantity but lots of creators work with new talent and frequently there will be new creators as part of a creative team who will establish themselves and build a reputation in addition to books which are from complete unknowns.

Creators pitch Image new books all the time. But we can't go knocking door to door looking for creators. They have to take that first step and let people know they exist.

Yep, this is true. It's possible I just am in a rut and nothing from Image is giving me that feeling I used to get a few years ago when it was really excited to get their new stuff. It's also very possible that the next few months will yield some better offerings. I also think the way the system is rigged, it's very tough for unknowns to prove themselves and people with real talent may be more inclined to go elsewhere with it.
    On this, I'd say the output of the company tends to point to that this is simply not the case.