see beauty in all things. charliehustle415's Avatar

Default Truly Contemplative & Divisive Modern Runs

Hey Guys,

I've been thinking about this for the last couple of days, what are the most contemplative and divisive modern runs in comics; and are their some runs going on now that would qualify.

I thought about this because there is a debate going on in the Robin Rises thread about the true Nature of Darkseid and Morrison's initial intentions in his Batman run.
    Which made me go back and read New X-Men, I am currently a quarter done.

Some background, I was a late bloomer with comics, I was into superheroes as a kid but more with trading cards and cartoons. I read some of the greats from way back i.e. Dark Knight Returns, Year One Etc and Claremont's X-Men. However, it wasn't until a friend let me borrow Morrison's "New X-Men: E is for Extinction" that I was hooked. At that time I erroneously thought not much was going on in comics, but after I read it, I couldn't what was being written especially in such a mainstream comic like X-Men.

But, I couldn't understand why it was so divisive and how some fans absolutely hated the run, especially since it pretty much revitalized the X-Men name and gave way for the first X-Men movie.

Then when I heard Morrison was doing a ongoing Batman run, I followed, but that too was so divisive some people absolutely hate or some people consider it gospel. The arguments for each side tends to be:

"Morrison makes no sense"

"Well if you don't understand him then you aren't smart enough"

I know I am really simplifying it, and I am not trying to start some kind of kerfuffle, because there are legitimate reasons to love and hate Morrison and his particular writing style.

Then Final Crisis happened and boy talk about a event that caused more heated debates in LCS and forums.

Now I know I am only referring to Morrison, the only other run that I can think of is Brian Azzarello's New 52 Wonder Woman.

My question to you is: "Is there another writer or another modern (within the last 15 years) run in the big two MARVEL & DC that have been so divisive?"

Spectacular Member

Frank Miller comes to mind. Although most everybody praises Year One and The Dark Knight Rises, there is definitely a subgroup that dislike him. The most divisive of his work was All Star Batman and Robin. Some people thought it was terrible and showed Batman as a rich *******, others thought it was an interesting out of continuity take that was supposed to have hints of sarcasm. I haven't read it myself so I can't judge.

Quote Originally Posted by Dmreyn View Post
    Frank Miller comes to mind. Although most everybody praises Year One and The Dark Knight Rises, there is definitely a subgroup that dislike him. The most divisive of his work was All Star Batman and Robin. Some people thought it was terrible and showed Batman as a rich *******, others thought it was an interesting out of continuity take that was supposed to have hints of sarcasm. I haven't read it myself so I can't judge.

Oh yeah! I completely forgot about that, yeah that too is a REALLY divisive mini.

Independent of Miller's writing, some people were criticizing Lee's art. Their main reason was that it didn't really fit with Miller's narrative, but hot damn was that a gorgeous book to look at.

I would say Bendis fits the bill. Aside from Daredevil and Ultimate Spider-Man, everything seems to sell well but is loathed by the hardcore fans that post online.

I've never understood the "Morrison is too difficult to understand" complaint. He isn't. In fact, when I first started reading his stuff, I was prepared to be flooded with subtle imagery and deep, powerful ideas, but most of his stuff is fairly straightforward as long as you don't forget an issue as soon as you read it. That being said, he does tend to do a lot of repeating themes and ideas in his works, and has a rather annoying habit of throwing out characterization and coherent plot in favor of Making A Point.

Frank Miller's stuff is batshit insane, but it is batshit insane in a fun way. At least in the case of DKSA and All-Star Batman.
    "If you're afraid - don't do it - and if you're doing it - don't be afraid!" - Genghis Khan

Even more so than All Star is Dark Knight Strikes Again - people either click with it or they don't, and chances are no amount of explaining will bring them over once they've decided it's not their thing. Morrison's stuff at least, I've found has some ability to win over people eventually.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by nepenthes View Post
    Even more so than All Star is Dark Knight Strikes Again - people either click with it or they don't, and chances are no amount of explaining will bring them over once they've decided it's not their thing. Morrison's stuff at least, I've found has some ability to win over people eventually..
    I was won over by Morrison. Changing my mind about later Miller stuff probably isn't gonna happen.

My opinion on Morrison's run is just that while it is pretty deep, it's not necessarily deep in the sense that it's worth diving in. I enjoyed the hell out of the run, but I'm not going to try to get into all the subtext. I just don't think it's that inviting.

Quote Originally Posted by The Red Monk View Post
    I've never understood the "Morrison is too difficult to understand" complaint. He isn't. In fact, when I first started reading his stuff, I was prepared to be flooded with subtle imagery and deep, powerful ideas, but most of his stuff is fairly straightforward as long as you don't forget an issue as soon as you read it. That being said, he does tend to do a lot of repeating themes and ideas in his works, and has a rather annoying habit of throwing out characterization and coherent plot in favor of Making A Point.

Frank Miller's stuff is batshit insane, but it is batshit insane in a fun way. At least in the case of DKSA and All-Star Batman.
    Definitely agree about later Miller, but in my experience when I hand someone who is new to comics a Morrison title (other than All-Star Superman which is universally loved) they scratch their heads and ask me ten million questions.

Do you think that new readers do not expect a long form tale in comics and expect a Bazooka Joe story?

Also what about Adam's "Odyssey"? I haven't had the chance the to read it yet.
    Last edited by charliehustle415; 07-20-2014 at 09:18 PM.