Default Power of the Press - Stories focusing on journalism?

Hey guys, how's it going? First post in the DC threads and happy to be here.

I've recently been binging Superman comics and lately I've been looking for stories where there's a significant focus on the journalism.

I've already got:

Superman: Birthright
    Up, Up and Away

I was wondering if there were anymore you all could recommend?

Thanks!
    Voice Actor and Symbiote Fanatic -- Hoping for Anti-Venom's return daily.

Obsessed & Compelled Bored at 3:00AM's Avatar

Shockingly few from what I can remember, but that's likely to change with Brian Bendis's arrival on the books starting May 30th.

Boisterously Confused

One of the best examples that I can remember is actually from Superman: The Animated Series, an episode entitled "The Late Mr. Kent."

Extraordinary Member DragonPiece's Avatar

As of recently, there hasn't been a whole lot of reporting due to so many status quo switches. There is the Superman Truth arc by Gene Yang when Lois exposes Clark's identity, it's been a while since I read the story, but I'm pretty sure they were investigating a story at first.

Also Lois does a lot of investigative reporting in the Futures End event, it's a fun weekly series.

I seem to recall an arc sometime right around Infinite Crisis, where Clark went on ride-alongs with the MCU (I still haven't gotten used to "MSCU" as the moniker). I don't remember if there was a lot of reporting though.

In the 90's, in the lead-up to Fall of Metropolis, there was a lot of investigating from Lois on the murder of Lex's karate instructor. That was a long game, with a satisfying ending.

I agree with others though, there certainly aren't a lot of stories about it.
    "Darkseid...always hated music..."

Every post I make, it should be assumed by the reader that the following statement is attached: "It's all subjective. What works for me doesn't necessarily work for you, and vice versa, and that's ok. You may have a different opinion on it, but this is mine. That's the wonderful thing about being a comics fan, it's all subjective."

If DC was smart they would make the next Superman movie an investigative journalism movie where Lois and Clark are uncovering some mystery.

It's how a lot of the Marvel movies are successful, they take a movie theme and throw some superhero stuff on top of it.

Thanks for the replies guys, I appreciate it!

Quote Originally Posted by StrikeJP View Post
    If DC was smart they would make the next Superman movie an investigative journalism movie where Lois and Clark are uncovering some mystery.

It's how a lot of the Marvel movies are successful, they take a movie theme and throw some superhero stuff on top of it.
    I really would like the Planet to have a bigger role in the future. A Lois and Clark mystery investigation would be a welcome plot point!
    Voice Actor and Symbiote Fanatic -- Hoping for Anti-Venom's return daily.

To Zach Snyder’s credit he did show Clark investigating Batman’s victims in BvS, but most of those scenes were cut out of the theatrical version of the movie. I would love to see Clark Kent the reporter play a bigger role in the Superman books. He could expose corruption that Superman couldn’t.

Extraordinary Member DragonPiece's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Robotman View Post
    To Zach Snyder’s credit he did show Clark investigating Batman’s victims in BvS, but most of those scenes were cut out of the theatrical version of the movie. I would love to see Clark Kent the reporter play a bigger role in the Superman books. He could expose corruption that Superman couldn’t.
    I think that's the plan for Bendis's run, especially Action Comics.

Obsessed & Compelled Bored at 3:00AM's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Robotman View Post
    Why they cut those scenes while leaving in yet another slow-mo replay of Batman's origin story that everyone already knows is yet another sign of how incredibly poorly thought out those films were.

Father Son Kamehameha < Kuwagaton's Avatar

If compiling a list of stories that convey the role of journalism in the world of Superman I would say:

Action Comics
    #406 when Clark goes on one of my favorite missions, 461 when Perry gets nostalgic, 592 when Clark digs into a mystery affecting the homeless, 713 when a villain gets twisted around by the media, 809 when Clark's new correspondent job leads to adventure

Adventures of Superman
    #432-434 when the DP gang tackles gang violence caused by Luthor, 443 when Clark and Jimmy go undercover, 445-448 when Cat Grant finally steps up, 474 when Clark recalls an old event, 475 where Clark fights without Superman, and 550 where Jimmy uses his tv show to reveal the identity of Superman

The Lois Lane two part special from 1986

Man of Steel #48, with more Perry nostalgia

Superman volume two #121 where Clark takes on Suicide Slum, 183 when he digs on president Lex

Superman: Save the Planet!

It's kind of a hard to define thing because the DP is always there. Especially in the golden age where 90% of everything stemmed from having an ear to the ground. It also worth checking out Metropolis SCU as it heavily featured Lois and there was a Metropolis 12 issue series that I have yet to read.

Superman Adventures #18 is a great issue in my opinion. Superman struggles with both of his jobs. I think it would count as a story focusing on journalism. (The story is named 'Its a Super Life!')

Superman Adventures #14. Not as good as 18, but still quite good. This one was from the point of view of Angela. A minor character in Superman The Animated Series. (This one is named 'Stop The Presses!').
    Last edited by Soubhagya; 05-17-2018 at 07:37 AM.