Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default "It's Superman!" by Tom De Haven

I'm in the midst of reading it right now and thoroughly enjoying it (and half-wishing they'd make a graphic novel of it). Anyone ever read it? Your thoughts?

Quote Originally Posted by UltraWoman View Post
    I'm in the midst of reading it right now and thoroughly enjoying it (and half-wishing they'd make a graphic novel of it). Anyone ever read it? Your thoughts?
    I read it several years ago and loved it. There were a few things, a couple nitpicks, that I didnt care for (Clark isnt written as being as intelligent as I'd like, and a few others I wont spoil for you) but overall I found it very well thought out, well executed, and it brought a different sensibility to the character rather than just re-tooling his story a little bit and calling it "new".

By and large, the best Superman novel I have read outside of Maggin. Not that there's a lot of Superman novels out there at all, but still.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Astonishing Member Dispenser Of Truth's Avatar

I thought it didn't quite find a balance between the period piece thriller elements and its nature as an off-kilter Superman origin, but really great when it was on nonetheless. Certainly a worthwhile read. Now the only major Superman book I have left to read is 1942's The Adventures of Superman--saw it at a used bookstore once, but it was insanely expensive.
    Buh-bye

It is a fantastic read. Easily, the best novel about a superhero (or supervillain) after The Fortress of Solitude by Jonathon Lethem and Soon I Will Be Invincible by Austin Grossman.

Astonishing Member Dispenser Of Truth's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 'Dax View Post
    It is a fantastic read. Easily, the best novel about a superhero (or supervillain) after The Fortress of Solitude by Jonathon Lethem and Soon I Will Be Invincible by Austin Grossman.
    Read Invincible, it was pretty good. Have you read the Maggin Superman novels, or Robert Mayer's Superfolks?
    Buh-bye

I only read Last Son of Krypton by Maggin. Unfortunately, I did not think much of it. I found it largely forgettable, but I thoroughly enjoyed his take on Luthor.

I did not like Superfolks very much either, but I can appreciate its significance to superhero comics.