Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

I decided to read this issue because the last one did not have much She-Hulk in it and I wanted a taste for how Aaron would write the character. I hated this issue. Aaron turned She-Hulk into a generic Hulk and that is exactly what she shouldn't be. I hope Jen's time in this book is short and I hope a writer that understands who the character is comes along soon.
    Last edited by KC; 05-16-2018 at 04:39 PM.
    “Somewhere, in our darkest night, we made up the story of a man who will never let us down.”

- Grant Morrison on Superman

Extraordinary Member Mike_Murdock's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by InformationGeek View Post
    It's She-Hulk. Not Hulk. She's never been Hulk and never will be, no matter how much Aaron doesn't get it.

Also, way too show respect to Tamaki's run and careful dealings with handling PTSD.
    I think Tamaki handled Jennifer Walters and her PTSD much more carefully, but I didn't think her She-Hulk is dramatically different from what we saw here. I don't think the character referred to herself as the Hulk, but that's really the only big difference I remember.

Anyway, this issue is still setting things up and I don't think it's come close to finishing the setup, which is frustrating given the significant action focus. I liked the moments with Robbie Reyes, though. I'm thinking Aaron might have a little more room to play around with him as a character. Overall, this issue felt like it had fewer little moments given the intense action focus.

Quote Originally Posted by Deku View Post
    I decided to read this issue because the last one did not have much She-Hulk in it and I wanted a taste for how Aaron would write the character. I hated this issue. Aaron turned She-Hulk into a generic Hulk and that is exactly what she shouldn't be. I hope Jen's time in this book is short and I hope a writer that understands what the character should be comes along soon.
    How do you think it compared to Mariko Tamaki's portrayal of SHe-Hulk?
    Matt Murdock's cooler twin brother

I'd give the Devil benefit of law, for my own safety's sake!
    Thomas More - A Man for All Seasons

Interested in reading Daredevil? Not sure what to read next? Why not check out the Daredevil Book Club for some ideas?

Quote Originally Posted by Mike_Murdock View Post
    How do you think it compared to Mariko Tamaki's portrayal of SHe-Hulk?
    I dropped Tamaki's Hulk book with the fourth issue (She went four issue without Hulking out, so I dropped it) and I picked it back up for an issue when she temporarily became the fourth-wall breaking Sensational She-Hulk. So that is what I can judge this on.

I loved that take on the fourth-wall breaking She-Hulk and I would prefer that take on the character too what Aaron is giving us.
    Last edited by KC; 05-16-2018 at 04:54 PM.
    “Somewhere, in our darkest night, we made up the story of a man who will never let us down.”

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by LeonardEugenius View Post
    “Hackity-hack-hack,” I coughed while reading this dreck. This dialogue might as well have been copy and pasted from an MCU script. Going from No Surender to this is jarring. The disparity in quality is super apparent
    No Surrender was a pleasing capstone to the previous Avengers era but it was, at its best, simply a straight-forward, squarely told Avengers tale that balanced character, action and honored the long history of the team.

So far, Aaron's Avengers is in that same tradition. With McGuinness on art, it may jump off the page as splashier and more bombastic but at heart it's cut from the same cloth as No Surrender, which in turn was in step with classic Avengers.

Like No Surrender, this is fun, slickly crafted, mainstream comics, period. Neither is dramatically better or worse than the other.

I'm not feeling it so I think I'm done. It's not really grabbing me and I hated how Jen was written.
    Be sure to check out the Invisible Woman appreciation thread!

Extraordinary Member Mike_Murdock's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Deku View Post
    I dropped Tamaki's Hulk book with the fourth issue (She went four issue without Hulking out, so I dropped it) and I picked it back up for an issue when she temporarily became the fourth-wall breaking Sensational She-Hulk. So that is what I can judge this on.

I loved that take on the fourth-wall breaking She-Hulk and I would prefer that take on the character too what Aaron is giving us.
    I thought it was interesting, but I think you did miss some context there, which felt like baby step progress rather than a complete recovery. I suspect Jason Aaron will continue that overall, but it's hard blame him for still following in the direction things started.

Of course, I could be giving him too much credit. My suspicion is he knows of Mariko Tamaki's run more than he's read it. But I didn't find this portrayal too different from that She-Hulk aside from the fact that I don't recall Savage She-Hulk actually referring to herself as Hulk.
    Matt Murdock's cooler twin brother

I'd give the Devil benefit of law, for my own safety's sake!
    Thomas More - A Man for All Seasons

Interested in reading Daredevil? Not sure what to read next? Why not check out the Daredevil Book Club for some ideas?

Great art but not much else.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike_Murdock View Post
    I thought it was interesting, but I think you did miss some context there, which felt like baby step progress rather than a complete recovery. I suspect Jason Aaron will continue that overall, but it's hard blame him for still following in the direction things started.

Of course, I could be giving him too much credit. My suspicion is he knows of Mariko Tamaki's run more than he's read it. But I didn't find this portrayal too different from that She-Hulk aside from the fact that I don't recall Savage She-Hulk actually referring to herself as Hulk.
    My problem is What the She-Hulk was from I what I read in Tamaki's She-Hulk and what she is now isn't what She-Hulk should be.
    With the incredibly lax way continuity works in comics, I think they could have skipped to She-Hulk being back to normal and it would not have raised too many eyebrows.

Quote Originally Posted by Prof. Warren View Post
    I don't think it's fair to say Aaron "set out to write Jen horribly out of character." Her character was changed during and post Civil War II to something different than she's been before. I don't think that was a particularly great move but it's her current status and that's what Aaron has to work with.

If it doesn't line up exactly with where she was left off in her last solo (I didn't keep up with it so I can't say), keep in mind that there might have been a long lead time with this, production wise, and they might have had to go with the thought that Jen would still be savage at this time.

I do hope they can get Jen back to her more classic self as it seems like a waste of a great character not to but pending any future changes, there's nothing here that strikes me as outrageously wrong in and of itself.
    My understanding is that most of Jen's issues in her solo were resolved by the end of the book (or at least as much as it could have been), so it appears here that Aaron has regressed her in order to have a more classic Hulk on this team, rather then actually use She-Hulk as, well, She-Hulk.

Extraordinary Member

As someone who's been reading Aaron'Aaron's Thor, I definitely enjoyed it more than I should have. And the main character here is clearly Loki, who I'm still trying to figure out. He's clearly not just reverting back to Evil Loki, which is nice, but what is there?

I don't hate Aaron's She Hulk and truth be told, this is the second issue.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    My understanding is that most of Jen's issues in her solo were resolved by the end of the book (or at least as much as it could have been), so it appears here that Aaron has regressed her in order to have a more classic Hulk on this team, rather then actually use She-Hulk as, well, She-Hulk.
    I don't think it's necessarily a deliberate regression but rather that he was writing the character based on his understanding of where the character would be at this point.

Given what might have been a long lead time, the scripts for these early issues may well have been written before the prior Hulk run had ended.

Also, based on my understanding of that series, how Jen is here isn't wildly off the mark of where she was there.

And no one can blame Aaron for not having Jen be her familiar self when that was a change to her character that was - rightly or wrongly - made by other writers and editors.

It's entirely possible that she'll pivot back towards classic Jen during this run but that's not the hand that Aaron was dealt. I'll wait and see where he takes her as the run goes on before judging his handling of her too harshly.

I guess I'm not a big she-hulk fan so I don't really care if being angry hulk its out of character. The issue was interesting enough. I'll keep reading.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Like deku, i dropped the she hulk book around the third or fourth issue, because of the long slow build that never went anywhere, so i don’t know about jen’s issues, or how they were resolved.

Quote Originally Posted by Wissenschaft View Post
    I guess I'm not a big she-hulk fan so I don't really care if being angry hulk its out of character. The issue was interesting enough. I'll keep reading.
    It's not traditionally how she is written but if you go back to an early incarnation there are similarities. Also I think the newest She-Hulk book took her down a more traditional classic Bruce Banner path. We didn't really see much of Jen in issue #1 but got to see her more this issue (#2).

I'm willing to see where this comic goes, but so far it feels very by the numbers.
    The J-man

I like Aaron's Carol and Robbie, Thor is Thor and everyone else is right but man, Jen is the big "UMMM"

She's just the Hulk which would be fine except she was already cured of the Savage Hulk and Aaron has just forgotten it. Aaron must have learned from Bendis.

Otherwise, the story is not clicking for me, It's funny too because the FCBD issue kinda got me interested in it after a lackluster 1