BANNED

Default Total surveillance is coming

Do you trust the police and the government THAT much?

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/05/22/t...cognition.html

BANNED

Thee problem here is Amazon making a thing that is practically designed to be abused.

Boisterously Confused

Quote Originally Posted by Carabas View Post
    Thee problem here is Amazon making a thing that is practically designed to be abused.
    As with the graphic examples provided by Facebook, YouTube, and (back in the day) MySpace, I doubt any negative implications outside the parameters of Amazon's goal for the design ever came up in discussions.

Among the many troubling parts is Amazon enlisting authorities to implement a surveillance system that will run through their servers. While not the only thing, I'm sure the first thing in their minds was "the cops will give us every face outside of Russia and China!"

One can't help wondering if Bezos and his posse intend to supplant society, simply don't see society (and the rights of citizens) as legitimate, or simply don't care what other fallout results from their discoveries.

Facial recognition? I want police to have software that knows the difference between a cellphone and a gun.

"Your gun will not fire. Our algorithm determined that the black man is holding a cell phone while talking to his friend at the coffee shop. You gun will not fire. Our algorithm determined that the black man is holding a cell phone while talking to his friend at the coffee shop. Your gun will not fire." Etc.
    "Always listen to the crazy scientist with a weird van or armful of blueprints and diagrams." -- Vibranium

BANNED

As this is both News and Political, why the separate thread?

God, I can't wait. It'll be just like that episode of Dark Angel, but with even more machine guns!