Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Hunt For Wolverine : Claws of a Killer Recap/Review

Flashback :

The issue begins in a small town "Bayvelle" in Arizona a week ago, we are told that there are 350 persons living here
    We see "Wolverine" killing some people and reporting to the Soteira kill team 9 and then activating a bomb.
    Once activated we see a green explosion (remind me of the Green Explosion from Adamanitum Agenda) and one local man appear to be in pain

Now :

Daken is entering a bar and is meeting with Deathstrike and Sabretooth, Yuriko is the one who call him and tell him that Logan is alive
    Daken doesn't trust Deathstrike or Creed and think they just want to kill him
    Sabretooth smells that Daken is trying to use his pheromone powers on him and Deathstrike and became angry and grab Daken by the throat
    He ask him if he want to see his dad dead, Daken answer : "No one want him dead more than me" (flashback of the end of Uncanny X-Force)
    Deathstrike wants to kill Logan because that's her birthright (flashback to Wounded Wolf)
    Creed tells Daken to behave and listen, for now there is a truce until they found and kill Logan but after that Creed would gladly put Daken six feet under
    Sabretooth doesn't care if they found Logan dead or alive he will still take his body and chop it off to make sure he never come back.
    Deathstrike said it's not vengeance though and that she has a device to track Logan adamantium signature

Flashback :

4 days ago, in the town of Maybelle, everybody is dead and we see the "Soteira kill team 9" (somekind of spec ops team) looking at one corpse and saying the results are negative

Now :

The trio is in Maybelle, Deathstrike said that Logan is close
    Daken says she's wrong because he knows Logan's smell and he can say for sure that Logan was never here.
    Sabretooth says he smells something and they decide to split up in order to find more clues, except Daken who think Deathstrike is crazy and just want to leave
    But before leaving, Daken want to drink something
    He sees someone in a bar, it's the Soteira kill team 9 from before he ask them what are they doing here and no matter if they answer or not he will kill them
    Suddently a woman bite Daken on his leg, then on his back and finally on his arm, he manage to throw her away
    We then see she's a zombie and she's not alone the town is full of zombies
    Daken is surprised because he doesn't heal from the wounds and he's overwhelmed by the zombies and fall on the floor
    While Daken is attacked we learn that those zombies are part of project supervised by the team 9.
    The goal of this project : Resurrecting the dead but it's only a partial success and now we have zombies.
    Issue ends with an infected Daken screaming while a group of zombies is about to eat him alive

To be continued...

So I'm very surprised by this issue, that wasn't bad at all. The art is a little inconsistent but as a whole it's perfect for an horror story like this one !
    Tamaki's writing was great, she handled the characters interactions well and the pacing was good.

About the characterization :

- Sabretooth is scary, cold and you don't want to mess with him he's very different from the Weapon X serie (Daken mention Creed and Yuriko knowing OML) but he doesn't seem to be inverted. I know some people might be disappointed but honestly this Sabretooth is damn great.

- Deathstrike is the smart one, she knows what she's doing and her and Creed are basically co-leaders, she's very different from the Weapon X serie too.

- Daken is also closer to his original characterization, he's the wild card of the group, he wants to kill Wolverine and he thinks he knows better than anyone so of course he's the first casualty lol

Best Hunt mini yet (not a great feat I know) and I hope the creative team will manage to keep this level of quality for the rest of the mini.

By the way I'm not sure what's going to be the tone of the new X-23 serie, but if it's an horror story or a psychological thriller that could be something really great with Tamaki on writing duties.

I know Silver Fang's gonna love this issue.

Astonishing Member

The fact thats its good gives me hope for Laura. It's nice to see what Tamaki can do. I hope she sticks the landing

Marvel just drowned all of Daken's character development down the drain. Continuity is lost with Marvel these days, smh.

Quote Originally Posted by MakubeX View Post
    Marvel just drowned all of Daken's character development down the drain. Continuity is lost with Marvel these days, smh.
    Was thinking the same thing even though I loath the character.

BANNED

Seriously. Daken got over his Daddy Issues in The Logan Legacy and Wolverines.

Quote Originally Posted by Ambaryerno View Post
    Seriously. Daken got over his Daddy Issues in The Logan Legacy and Wolverines.

Yea and All New Wolverine even presented that the reason Daken’s healing factor wasn’t working was due to a psychological issue of his guilt at having not been there to prevent Logan’s death. Him obsessing over killing Logan isn’t the person he’s been for years. Honestly, I was using this as a bit of a gauge for Tomaki since she’s taking over Laura next and this leaves me a bit worried for that book.

Is Sabretooth evil again? And if that’s is the case, is there a reason given? It’s just in this title? Personally, I wouldn’t care seeing Sabretooth back to his killing tendencies now that Logan will be back, but with a more interesting take than the one that was burnt out long ago, make him a real threat, kinda like what Aaron seemed to had done at the end of his run in Wolverine
    "The Batman is Gotham City. I will watch him. Study him. And when I know him and why he does not kill, I will know this city. And then Gotham will be MINE!"-BANE

"We're monsters, buddy. Plain and simple. I don't dress it up with fancy names like mutant or post-human; men were born crueler than Apes and we were born crueler than men. It's just the natural order of things"-ULTIMATE SABRETOOTH

Quote Originally Posted by Chubistian View Post
    Is Sabretooth evil again? And if that’s is the case, is there a reason given? It’s just in this title? Personally, I wouldn’t care seeing Sabretooth back to his killing tendencies now that Logan will be back, but with a more interesting take than the one that was burnt out long ago, make him a real threat, kinda like what Aaron seemed to had done at the end of his run in Wolverine
    That’s the problem, he’s supposed to still be inverted but Tamaki seems to be ignoring continuity all over here.

Extraordinary Member Silver Fang's Avatar

This was a pretty good chapter.

Just gonna copy & paste my quick review from another site.
    The book starts off good with the main cast. It's only the first chapter, but Tamaki already seems to have a better voice for Yuriko & Sabretooth than Pak has in 22 chapters of Weapon X. They sound like themselves, rather than the "hip" frat kids Pak seemed to be going for. Yuriko has called Sabretooth & Daken to discuss Wolverine. Daken is the wild card of the team it appears. He doesn't want to be there, doesn't trust Yuriko, and even releases his pheromones to threaten her on the off chance she's plotting to kill him. When they decide to work together, they drive to a ghost town. Daken insists Wolverine ins't there, because he doesn't smell him. Creed & Yuriko agree to look around since they're already there. Daken wanders off on his own more
    Many are wondering about Sabretooth & the inversion, and I don't get why some are confused. Creed hasn't been inverted since Bunn lost him in Uncanny. He was still an anti-hero in Iron Fist. But the X-Franchise dropped that idea a year ago. Sabretooth is evil and wants to kill stuff in Weapon X. He's been called a bad guy numerous times. Logan & Warpath think he's bad and are keeping tabs on whether they need to kill him or not, in addition to trying to give him stuff to fight so he doesn't snap and kill innocent people. Not to mention his shady dealings with Foreigner, who isn't a hero. lol

Sabretooth's Axis story is gone. Hell, if continuity was straight, he'd have still been with Monet in Generation X. He ran off with her at the end of Bunncanny. Now he's randomly not with her, and no reason was given.

Sabretooth is evil again. Forget Axis. The X writers & editors have. lol

So Creed's a bad guy again, and I am bummed we didn't get more from Axis. But at least his characterization is good in this. Many Daken fans hate how he's back to hating Logan. But my petty side is happy. If Creed isn't allowed to have much life outside of being a Logan hater & accessory, then Daken shouldn't either. lol He's just as disgusting as Creed. But despite this, Daken will still get more respect as a character than what Creed gets to have.

At least this story balanced Sabretooth some. Yuriko is the more collected one of the team so far. Daken is a bit more the wild card. Creed seems to be in the middle. And I like how Daken is the one who ends up in trouble first, simply because it seems Tamaki isn't gonna give him special treatment, like the Wolverines tend to get. Ordinarily, Creed would be the dumbass who's not good for anything -see Weapon X. Here, it's nice to see the more level-headed & intelligent Creed. Many writers don't give us that one these days.
    Last edited by Silver Fang; 05-16-2018 at 04:19 PM.

To be honest Daken's character "development" never made any sense at all, if anything it show how much some writers never cared about previous stories, so that's funny how people are saying the same thing about Tamaki now. We talked about it in another thread and basically the guy is a psychopath, plain and simple just look at what he did in the past :

- He killed a newborn baby as a kid because of jealousy
    - Killed people for petty reasons on his own free will
    - Used his pheromone powers to take advantage of people
    - Help an organization who hate Wolverine made a deal with the Devil in order to have his father possessed by a Demon and his soul sent to hell
    - Because of him, Laura was almost destroyed mentally by this Demon
    - Found his half brothers and half sisters and made sure his father killed them just to hurt him
    - Became a drug dealer and tried to become the kingpin of Madripoor and Los Angeles
    - Drugged his father
    - Abducted and brutalized a kid his father tried to reform in order to turn him into a genocidal monster
    - Despite hating Logan for things he's not responsible, Logan tried to help him and beg him to stop before it's too late, as a response he tried to kill his father again
    - If not killed by Logan, he would have killed all the kids at the Jean Grey school
    - After being reborn, he tortured Logan and made Logan watch as Rogue was killed in front him
    - Tortured his father for years just for fun

So yeah the guy is a villain but despite all of that, you got writers such as Ray Fawkes basically saying that Daken is trying to honor his father's memory after his death something that doesn't make any sense at all. And now he's feeling guilty because he couldn't stop his father from dying that's even more nonsensical.

Hell the simple fact that Laura didn't cut off his head after everything he did to her father is still mindblowing, especially after I saw how much **** she gave to OML after he stabbed Gabby while drugged. If anything Grace and Tamaki characterization of the character make much more sense than what Taylor or Fawkes did, besides it's not like what happened in Legacy/Wolverines mattered at all, it was ignored by almost every writers.

Also it's not like the guy knows what he wants, so why would someone be surprised if he wants to kill his father again? He's crazy, same thing for Deathstrike.

About Sabretooth, the inversion is wearing off and frankly when you see how he has been written recently I'm glad Tamaki is ignoring the mess from Weapon X and go back to basics.
    Last edited by Hush; 05-16-2018 at 04:29 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Silver Fang View Post
    This was a pretty good chapter.

Just gonna copy & paste my quick review from another site.

Many are wondering about Sabretooth & the inversion, and I don't get why some are confused. Creed hasn't been inverted since Bunn lost him in Uncanny. He was still an anti-hero in Iron Fist. But the X-Franchise dropped that idea a year ago. Sabretooth is evil and wants to kill stuff in Weapon X. He's been called a bad guy numerous times. Logan & Warpath think he's bad and are keeping tabs on whether they need to kill him or not, in addition to trying to give him stuff to fight so he doesn't snap and kill innocent people. Not to mention his shady dealings with Foreigner, who isn't a hero. lol

Sabretooth's Axis story is gone. Hell, if continuity was straight, he'd have still been with Monet in Generation X. He ran off with her at the end of Bunncanny. Now he's randomly not with her, and no reason was given.

Sabretooth is evil again. Forget Axis. The X writers & editors have. lol

So Creed's a bad guy again, and I am bummed we didn't get more from Axis. But at least his characterization is good in this. Many Daken fans hate how he's back to hating Logan. But my petty side is happy. If Creed isn't allowed to have much life outside of being a Logan hater & accessory, then Daken shouldn't either. lol He's just as disgusting as Creed. But despite this, Daken will still get more respect as a character than what Creed gets to have.

At least this story balanced Sabretooth some. Yuriko is the more collected one of the team so far. Daken is a bit more the wild card. Creed seems to be in the middle. And I like how Daken is the one who ends up in trouble first, simply because it seems Tamaki isn't gonna give him special treatment, like the Wolverines tend to get. Ordinarily, Creed would be the dumbass who's not good for anything -see Weapon X. Here, it's nice to see the more level-headed & intelligent Creed. Many writers don't give us that one these days.
    Except that’s all based on assumption vs what the stories have actually said. When Bunn was at the end of his Uncanny run, his plot point with Creed was that that Creed was still inverted but could feel his old tendencies returning when pushed. As such, he chose to become something new rather than returning to who he was before the inversion. This change is reflected in Iron Fist in which he isn’t a bad guy and while reflected terribly by Pak, at the end of the previous arc, Logan noted that Creed is different from how he’d been in the past when Warpath brought up killing him then and there. He’s gotten back his bite yea, but he isn’t the bad guy that he was before being inverted. Hell the fact that he’s still sticking with Weapon X, and Logan by association when he could easily jump ship at any time speaks volumes. That’s why this portrayal here makes no sense. Heck he works with a Logan on a daily basis and hasn’t tried killing him yet now he wants to.

Haven't posted in a minute but this is utter garbage.

I am tired of seeing writers just ignore Daken's characterization and character development just because they like him as a villain or simply are not aware (and not bothered to learn) how he's been portrayed. I gave Iceman's solo the benefit of the doubt at first and was dissapointed in the end with how Sina Grace handled the character but didn't bother with it because it didn't align with his characterization in other books and I could just pretend like that wasn't part of continuity but now there's this. And by the writer of of X-23 no less. All New Wolverine was one of the only books that respected continuity in Daken's case and built from that, but now by the looks of it I won't be surprised if he show up as a villain for Laura's rogue's gallery. Fans of the character be damned.

Silver Fang and Hush,

Daken has fans, who would very much appreciate if he was allowed to evolve into more than a villanious sociopathic depraved bisexual caricature. I know it's very convenient to have him available as a villain to be fought and defeated by your many heroes (many of whom had plenty of blood on their hands until a writer decided to use a plot device to explain that away "Oh, they were actually mind controlled by XYZ so it doesn't matter that they murdered all those people..." It's happened dozens of times in comics but I guess Daken doesn't get that privilege?).

I don't even know how this fits with X-Men Blue in timeline. I really hope there's a plot twist somewhere, or future writers just continue the tradition of ignoring continuity and forget this happened and have Daken show up somewhere else.

Extraordinary Member Silver Fang's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Kurolegacy View Post
    Except that’s all based on assumption vs what the stories have actually said. When Bunn was at the end of his Uncanny run, his plot point with Creed was that that Creed was still inverted but could feel his old tendencies returning when pushed. As such, he chose to become something new rather than returning to who he was before the inversion. This change is reflected in Iron Fist in which he isn’t a bad guy and while reflected terribly by Pak, at the end of the previous arc, Logan noted that Creed is different from how he’d been in the past when Warpath brought up killing him then and there. He’s gotten back his bite yea, but he isn’t the bad guy that he was before being inverted. Hell the fact that he’s still sticking with Weapon X, and Logan by association when he could easily jump ship at any time speaks volumes. That’s why this portrayal here makes no sense. Heck he works with a Logan on a daily basis and hasn’t tried killing him yet now he wants to.
    I'm not seeing it. Sure Pak said that one time in chapter 16 about Creed's goddess & inversion. But he hasn't shown anything that says Creed isn't evil. Yuriko just got done saying she & Sabretooth were bad guys. Pak has stated in more than one interview that Sabretooth & Yuriko are the team's bad guys. Solicits have stated that the new team is Sabretooth's group of killers, and he's not gonna be working with Omega Red. Warpath & Logan are gone, with solicits asking who's gonna keep the team honest. At this point, Domino is the odd woman out for not fitting with this team. But her characterization has been bad too. So there's that.

And no, he's not the bad guy he was before his inversion because he's written horribly. He's a comedy relief villain that's more an annoyance than any kind of threat. Dr. Draken is more dangerous. lol Creed is the bumbling ineffective comedy relief villain who's always getting his ass kicked. But a villain none the less.

He doesn't care about repenting for any of his sins. He just wants to kill stuff again. He's developed no personal relationships that could make him care to be good. He's not struggle against the animal who only cared for the kill. There's nothing much of good Creed left.

Inverted Creed was supposed to be an Angelus to Angel deal. Weapon X Sabretooth is chipped Spike. He even said he likes being able to kill stuff w/o a bunch of heroes breathing down his neck about it. So seems being with this team is an excuse to be able to kill people w/o any consequence from heroes. But since Logan & Warpath don't wanna kill, he's started to get bored, which Logan has noted is dangerous because he's gonna snap w/o monsters to kill.

This characterization is better than Weapon X where Pak clearly wants to use Sabretooth as a villain, and does what he can to get that across, while throwing in a random comment "oh, he's still inverted" so he can get that out of the way without actually having to write it.

It's clear not many were invested in Inverted Creed. He's a bad guy again, and at least Tamaki seems to be making him legit, rather than the bumbling moron Pak is writing in Weapon X, who randomly didn't know Omega Red and has never been in charge of anything before.

Quote Originally Posted by Mah VM View Post

Daken has fans, who would very much appreciate if he was allowed to evolve into more than a villanious sociopathic depraved bisexual caricature. I know it's very convenient to have him available as a villain to be fought and defeated by your many heroes (many of whom had plenty of blood on their hands until a writer decided to use a plot device to explain that away "Oh, they were actually mind controlled by XYZ so it doesn't matter that they murdered all those people..." It's happened dozens of times in comics but I guess Daken doesn't get that privilege?).
    I apply all the same stuff you said to Creed. The inversion was a good chance to evolve him and take him in a new direction. Especially when he's sucked as a villain for most of the last 15 years. But editors & writers prefer him as a villain, so he's allowed no development. At least Daken gets to have a family bond with Gabby & Laura. What does Creed get? Other than being the Wolverines' punching bag, and Mystique's bitch.

Creed has shown the ability to care for others, and even had some rare merciful moments. He had a good relationship building with Monet in Bunn's X-Men. Seeing him come to terms with all the stuff he's done. Expressing regret for it, and possibly getting an actual redemption story. Bunn had all that planned. His run was cancelled, now Creed's over in Weapon X getting punk'd out by everyone & being a useless moron who tries to cause trouble and gets his ass kicked. So much for character development, or anything that would make him interesting.
    Last edited by Silver Fang; 05-16-2018 at 05:21 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Mah VM View Post

I am tired of seeing writers just ignore Daken's characterization and character development just because they like him as a villain or simply are not aware (and not bothered to learn) how he's been portrayed. I gave Iceman's solo the benefit of the doubt at first and was dissapointed in the end with how Sina Grace handled the character but didn't bother with it because it didn't align with his characterization in other books and I could just pretend like that wasn't part of continuity but now there's this. And by the writer of of X-23 no less. All New Wolverine was one of the only books that respected continuity in Daken's case and built from that, but now by the looks of it I won't be surprised if he show up as a villain for Laura's rogue's gallery. Fans of the character be damned.

Silver Fang and Hush,

I don't even know how this fits with X-Men Blue in timeline. I really hope there's a plot twist somewhere, or future writers just continue the tradition of ignoring continuity and forget this happened and have Daken show up somewhere else.
    This. Strongly agree with you. This is a Marvel problem that keeps continuing. I fear for Laura's and Gabby's X-23 book. First issue will have them smoking cigars and having double dates with Warren and Tyke, lulz. But not before their curfew. Won't be surprised if they deaged her, just so daddy Logan can take care of them.