Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Silver Fang View Post
    This was a pretty good chapter.

Just gonna copy & paste my quick review from another site.

Many are wondering about Sabretooth & the inversion, and I don't get why some are confused. Creed hasn't been inverted since Bunn lost him in Uncanny. He was still an anti-hero in Iron Fist. But the X-Franchise dropped that idea a year ago. Sabretooth is evil and wants to kill stuff in Weapon X. He's been called a bad guy numerous times. Logan & Warpath think he's bad and are keeping tabs on whether they need to kill him or not, in addition to trying to give him stuff to fight so he doesn't snap and kill innocent people. Not to mention his shady dealings with Foreigner, who isn't a hero. lol

Sabretooth's Axis story is gone. Hell, if continuity was straight, he'd have still been with Monet in Generation X. He ran off with her at the end of Bunncanny. Now he's randomly not with her, and no reason was given.

Sabretooth is evil again. Forget Axis. The X writers & editors have. lol

So Creed's a bad guy again, and I am bummed we didn't get more from Axis. But at least his characterization is good in this. Many Daken fans hate how he's back to hating Logan. But my petty side is happy. If Creed isn't allowed to have much life outside of being a Logan hater & accessory, then Daken shouldn't either. lol He's just as disgusting as Creed. But despite this, Daken will still get more respect as a character than what Creed gets to have.

At least this story balanced Sabretooth some. Yuriko is the more collected one of the team so far. Daken is a bit more the wild card. Creed seems to be in the middle. And I like how Daken is the one who ends up in trouble first, simply because it seems Tamaki isn't gonna give him special treatment, like the Wolverines tend to get. Ordinarily, Creed would be the dumbass who's not good for anything -see Weapon X. Here, it's nice to see the more level-headed & intelligent Creed. Many writers don't give us that one these days.
    His inversion is wearing off, but it isnt gone. That was literally the point of the "Happy Birthday, Logan" two-parter arc in Weapon X. He immediately stops trying to kill Logan, sticks with the team, and even hangs out with them. He is not villain.

Quote Originally Posted by Hush View Post
    To be honest Daken's character "development" never made any sense at all, if anything it show how much some writers never cared about previous stories, so that's funny how people are saying the same thing about Tamaki now. We talked about it in another thread and basically the guy is a psychopath, plain and simple just look at what he did in the past :

- He killed a newborn baby as a kid because of jealousy
    - Killed people for petty reasons on his own free will
    - Used his pheromone powers to take advantage of people
    - Help an organization who hate Wolverine made a deal with the Devil in order to have his father possessed by a Demon and his soul sent to hell
    - Because of him, Laura was almost destroyed mentally by this Demon
    - Found his half brothers and half sisters and made sure his father killed them just to hurt him
    - Became a drug dealer and tried to become the kingpin of Madripoor and Los Angeles
    - Drugged his father
    - Abducted and brutalized a kid his father tried to reform in order to turn him into a genocidal monster
    - Despite hating Logan for things he's not responsible, Logan tried to help him and beg him to stop before it's too late, as a response he tried to kill his father again
    - If not killed by Logan, he would have killed all the kids at the Jean Grey school
    - After being reborn, he tortured Logan and made Logan watch as Rogue was killed in front him
    - Tortured his father for years just for fun

So yeah the guy is a villain but despite all of that, you got writers such as Ray Fawkes basically saying that Daken is trying to honor his father's memory after his death something that doesn't make any sense at all. And now he's feeling guilty because he couldn't stop his father from dying that's even more nonsensical.

Hell the simple fact that Laura didn't cut off his head after everything he did to her father is still mindblowing, especially after I saw how much shit she gave to OML after he stabbed Gabby while drugged. If anything Grace and Tamaki characterization of the character make much more sense than what Taylor or Fawkes did, besides it's not like what happened in Legacy/Wolverines mattered at all, it was ignored by almost every writers.

Also it's not like the guy knows what he wants, so why would someone be surprised if he wants to kill his father again? He's crazy, same thing for Deathstrike.

About Sabretooth, the inversion is wearing off and frankly when you see how he has been written recently I'm glad Tamaki is ignoring the mess from Weapon X and go back to basics.
    Except for the fact that Daken is explicitly written as being anti-child abuse considering HE himself was victimized as a child under Romulus. And you can't say that some character development didnt make sense when you ignore a whole series that explains interactions that happen later in his life, proving said series wasn't ignored by writers. And to say that Daken just hated Logan and that's it is fundamentally misunderstanding their complex relationship. A complexity that I think can still be played out without necessarily contradicting Taylor/Bunn's interpretation.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by MakubeX View Post
    This. Strongly agree with you. This is a Marvel problem that keeps continuing. I fear for Laura's and Gabby's X-23 book. First issue will have them smoking cigars and having double dates with Warren and Tyke, lulz. But not before their curfew. Won't be surprised if they deaged her, just so daddy Logan can take care of them.
    Considering JDW has said he wouldn't have allowed Laura to be aged up, I wouldn't be surprised if she does get deaged.

Well, as a "non fan" of Daken (to put it lightly), does any of the writters that had gave him this new lead, in some way explain his previous actions, i mean i'm not going to said that he is unable to redemption (specially when one of my favorites characthers on fiction is Vegeta), but what i've heard of him doesn't really mix well with the guy that Way created. Hell, i know that Logan as done immoral stuff on his life (apparently he was a nazi for some time according to Daniel Way), but the guy that i read about from the 80s under Claremont, David and Barry doesn't seem to do horrible stuff as his default setting, i'm not trying to star a fight or anything but i want a different perspective so maybe i can understand.
    Last edited by TheCape; 05-16-2018 at 06:35 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Mah VM View Post
    Haven't posted in a minute but this is utter garbage.

Silver Fang and Hush,

Daken has fans, who would very much appreciate if he was allowed to evolve into more than a villanious sociopathic depraved bisexual caricature. I know it's very convenient to have him available as a villain to be fought and defeated by your many heroes (many of whom had plenty of blood on their hands until a writer decided to use a plot device to explain that away "Oh, they were actually mind controlled by XYZ so it doesn't matter that they murdered all those people..." It's happened dozens of times in comics but I guess Daken doesn't get that privilege?).

I have nothing against Daken's fans, I'm not a fan of the character that's true, but frankly if you look at his characterization along the years you can see why some writers prefer to write him as a psycho and not as anti hero. Maybe some people prefer the classic version of the character over the more recent one.

I mean look at Logan, I'm not a big fan of what they did to him in recent years but some people love it. If one day ,they decide to go back to Logan's classic characterization I would be happy but that also mean the fans of the latest version of him would be pissed.

For me Daken works better as a villain in this story but I can understand why some people would think otherwise but that doesn't mean the book is garbage, or that some character has some privilege or whatever. The only ones who has privilege in comics are the editors no one else.

This. Strongly agree with you. This is a Marvel problem that keeps continuing. I fear for Laura's and Gabby's X-23 book. First issue will have them smoking cigars and having double dates with Warren and Tyke, lulz. But not before their curfew. Won't be surprised if they deaged her, just so daddy Logan can take care of them.
    Uh Hyperbole much? Sometimes I'm not sure if it's sarcasm or if people are serious...

Quote Originally Posted by ţh€ €жţяą-๏яďɨɲąя¥ Tycon View Post
    His inversion is wearing off, but it isnt gone. That was literally the point of the "Happy Birthday, Logan" two-parter arc in Weapon X. He immediately stops trying to kill Logan, sticks with the team, and even hangs out with them. He is not villain.

Except for the fact that Daken is explicitly written as being anti-child abuse considering HE himself was victimized as a child under Romulus. And you can't say that some character development didnt make sense when you ignore a whole series that explains interactions that happen later in his life, proving said series wasn't ignored by writers. And to say that Daken just hated Logan and that's it is fundamentally misunderstanding their complex relationship. A complexity that I think can still be played out without necessarily contradicting Taylor/Bunn's interpretation.
    Daken being victimized as a child is not an excuse for what he did when he abducted Evan and had him broken mentally and physically with the Marauders's help. And no It was confirmed by Wolverine that Daken was going to kill all the students at his school if he didn't kill him in the last issue of Uncanny X-Force.
    So yeah he might have been victimized as a child but that didn't stop him for wanting to kill all the kids at the Jean Grey School.

You mean the Legacy/Wolverines series? Most of these series were ignored, maybe some parts of it happened such as Daken losing an arm or Laura meeting Fang but the majority of writers ignored it and as a whole the serie didn't mattered. An frankly both series never made much sense regarding the characterization of most of the cast, such as Laura not helping Elixir (you know one of her teammate during New X-Men) when he's killed by Siphon.
    Some of the big consequences from both series such as Mystique being responsible for the death of billions of people or Laura and Creed losing their healing factor were never referenced again. And honestly if everything in the Wolverines serie really happened Laura and Creed would have tracked Mystique after what she did to them but nope nothing.

Also I never said that Daken just hated Logan, I said he helped a cult full of people who hate Logan, and that's the truth.

If you think he's a complex character and what Fawkes/Taylor (the jury is still out on Bunn especially with the tease that Daken wants to kill Jimmy) did with him wasn't contradicting what was done before that's your opinion and I respect it but for me it doesn't work at all for all the reasons I listed in my previous post.
    Last edited by Hush; 05-17-2018 at 07:54 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by TheCape View Post
    Well, as a "non fan" of Daken (to put it lightly), does any of the writters that had gave him this new lead, in some way explain his previous actions, i mean i'm not going to said that he is unable to redemption (specially when one of my favorites characthers on fiction is Vegeta), but what i've heard of him doesn't really mix well with the guy that Way created. Hell, i know that Logan as done immoral shot on his lofe (apparently he was a nazi for some time according to Daniel Way), but the guy that i read about from the 80s under Claremon, David and Barry doesn't seem to do horrible stuff as his default setting, i'm not trying to star a fight or anything but i want a different perspective so maybe i can understand.
    Different writers, different editors and the fact that Marvel thought for a while that controversy sells might explain all of that.

Sorry for the double post

Quote Originally Posted by Hush View Post
    Different writers, different editors and the fact that Marvel thought for a while that controversy sells might explain all of that.

Sorry for the double post
    I guest, but i would an "in story" reason for his shift, what kindnof expirience made him rethink of his life. I mean, with someone like Vegeta made sense, after Goku defeated him he started to imitate him during his life on earth and he eventually feel genuine regret over his actions, but that doesn't seem to be the case here, it looks more like an arbitrary change more than anything.

Extraordinary Member

I don't mind Daken here. I mean, we all knew he was going to go back to trying to trying to kill Logan the instant he came back. Daken is such a broken person that that is the only way he can express any sort of love for Logan.

It is easy for him to love and be kind to Gabby and Laura. For one, Laura actually is able to set some boundaries with him and Gabby is so cute and bubbly and accepting of him that he doesn't have to worry. This isn't even going into his issues with his mother and how Laura sort of weirdly full fills that role for him.

Plus it's not like Daken seems really happy here, not how he used to be about killing Logan. He goes with Creed and Deathstrike, but he only leaves the car to find more alcohol even though he has clearly already been drinking.

This is very reminiscent of Remender's characterization of him, especially since Daken was clearly getting wasted on wwine when he was trying to do that plan. Here, again, he knows that there's the possibility that Logan, one of the people who could actually give him a huge problem in a fight, and his plan is to get really drunk before he fights him. That doesn't sound like Daken is massively committed to that plan.

I obviously like the Taylor verson of Daken, since that's where my username comes from. I even liked him in Iceman where he acted as a foil and legitimately called out Bobby (and his psycho actions were explained by the death seed). I just like Daken as a slightly scandalous wildcard with anti-hero tendencies.

This issue doesn't really explain why the characters want to kill Wolverine other than because they are supposed to. I don't really follow Sabretooth and Deathstrike so I don't know why they care so much.

I thought that this was a very enjoyable comic and I am now looking forward to Tamaki's X-23 book even more now.

Instead of Daken's characterization, I would be more fearful of Laura and Gabby's X-23 book if it is going to be Laura and Gabby's X-23 book. It should be Laura's X-23 book first and foremost with Gabby as a supporting character.

Quote Originally Posted by Rosebunse View Post
    I don't mind Daken here. I mean, we all knew he was going to go back to trying to trying to kill Logan the instant he came back. Daken is such a broken person that that is the only way he can express any sort of love for Logan.

It is easy for him to love and be kind to Gabby and Laura. For one, Laura actually is able to set some boundaries with him and Gabby is so cute and bubbly and accepting of him that he doesn't have to worry. This isn't even going into his issues with his mother and how Laura sort of weirdly full fills that role for him.

Plus it's not like Daken seems really happy here, not how he used to be about killing Logan. He goes with Creed and Deathstrike, but he only leaves the car to find more alcohol even though he has clearly already been drinking.

This is very reminiscent of Remender's characterization of him, especially since Daken was clearly getting wasted on wwine when he was trying to do that plan. Here, again, he knows that there's the possibility that Logan, one of the people who could actually give him a huge problem in a fight, and his plan is to get really drunk before he fights him. That doesn't sound like Daken is massively committed to that plan.
    Yeah, I would largely agree with this, except that he would automatically slip back into wanting to kill Logan mode
    Maybe I am misreading this story, but I honestly didn't think that Daken came across as a mustache twirling villain. He read to me as being a little conflicted, and I'm not sure he even wanted to kill Logan. And it didn't seem as though he was all that interested in working with Sabretooth and Deathstrike.
    But then I'm not a particularly big Daken fan, so It could be that I'm not reading him the same as some of his more hard core fans are.
    Last edited by Thievery; 05-17-2018 at 03:31 AM.

Extraordinary Member Silver Fang's Avatar

Heck, there's still always the chance Tamaki will pull a bait & switch, and reveal Daken only followed Yuriko & Creed to make sure they didn't succeed in killing Logan. Then he'll proceed to defeat both of them simultaneously in an effortless fight, and continue his legacy as "anti-hero" and member of the happy Wolverine family.

Lord knows, I am hoping that doesn't happen. But being a Creed fan, there's always so many ways we get screwed over. Especially when it comes to anything Wolverine-related.

But if Tamaki keeps the characterization they way it seems in this chapter, i'll be happy. lol Which may be a sign she won't. But solicits, and Tamaki herself, have referred to this roster as the villain team. So hopefully, they're all equally villainous. Daken deserves no special treatment.
    Last edited by Silver Fang; 05-17-2018 at 06:54 AM.

Really enjoyed this, the writing was great. Way more hopeful for X-23 now.

As for Daken, it seems to me like he really didn’t want to be there. He’s definitely not as committed to the plan as Yuriko and Creed. So I wouldn’t say he’s a 100% back to vintage Daken.

Extraordinary Member

It sounds like he's only saying all that stuff to Lady Deathstrike and Creed because he doesn't want to look weak in front of them.

And then, yes, he just sulks in the car and drinks. He only leaves the car to find more alcohol. He potentially was just going to get drunk and wait around for the others to get back. That doesn't really sound like the Daken we used to know. This is also potentially the first comic he's ever appeared in where he didn't take off his shirt.

Claws of A Killer sold out, and going for second print, out June 20th.
    https://www.bleedingcool.com/2018/05...engers-domino/

I enjoyed the story, but didn't think it would get to sell-out & reprint status. Unless ALL the Wolverine Hunt minis do this, since it's Wolverine lol.
    Last edited by Silver Fang; 05-17-2018 at 07:12 PM.

Astonishing Member

I liked this much more than Weapon X, especially for Deathstrike and Sabretooth

Quote Originally Posted by lurkerforyears View Post
    I liked this much more than Weapon X, especially for Deathstrike and Sabretooth
    Agreed. I am not familiar with Tamaki, and just heard of her with this book. But she's given a better voice to Yuriko & Sabretooth in just 1 chapter than Pak has in 22.

Tamaki has them sounding like themselves, rather than the sitcom frat kids Pak seem to be writing. Hell, let Tamaki write Weapon X. lol

But again, only the first chapter. Still 3 more to go in seeing the extent of her depictions for these guys. But for now, she seems solid with characterization. I hope it stays that way, and none of Pak's Sabretooth & Deathstrike show up.
    Last edited by Silver Fang; 05-17-2018 at 04:33 PM.