Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Since I don't get the channel this comes on, what are the chances of it coming out on DVD/Blu-ray in a decent time?

Retired

With the roles of Martha Kane and Thomas Wayne in this show, I'm thinking what if this show was called PERRY WHITE, instead of PENNY WORTH, and those actors were playing Martha Clark and Jonathan Kent. Of course, this would be crazy as it would totally screw with continuity--but I think PENNYWORTH is having its fun by screwing with reality anyway--so a Superman prequel about Perry, Martha and Jonathan set in the quasi-1960s would work, too.

www.taurianfilms.com KabutoRyder's Avatar

Seen a few episodes. Its OK...nothing is knocking my socks off yet.

Retired

It's hard to talk about story points, as it's not easy to know how far people have got with the show. I'm at the post-socks-knocked-off point.

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Smith View Post
    Why would a strong character like Alfred end up as a butler? Some British class thing?
    I read the Gotham prequel novel recently.
    S
    P
    O
    I
    L
    E
    R
    S

It gives a pretty good explanation for why Alfred took the butler job. He was weary of the military and wanted a fresh start after his long term girlfriend was killed by someone coming after him. He was close friends with Thomas and fond of little Bruce and his duties discretely included bodyguard.

Quote Originally Posted by Immortal Weapon View Post
    An opportunity to follow a Batman related period piece that packed with English actors? Yes, please.

Retired

I continue to enjoy this series. I get a lot more out of it than I did GOTHAM (which I gave up on during the first season). Something I didn't know at first, but which I later found when looking at the listing of the episodes, was the names of the episodes, which starting with ep. 5 were all named for women that were popular in the 1960s--"Shirley Bassey," "Cilla Black," "Julie Christie," "Sandie Shaw," "Alma Cogan," and "Marianne Faithful."

The upfront nature of the Elseworlds setting makes it easy to take this show for what it is and not worry about how it overthrows Batman continuity. I mean, I wouldn't like this version of Thomas Wayne as part of official continuity--but I can put up with him in a world were Elizabeth II is a sexy, sadistic sovereign and Aleister Crowley didn't die in 1947.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Kelly View Post
    I continue to enjoy this series. I get a lot more out of it than I did GOTHAM (which I gave up on during the first season). Something I didn't know at first, but which I later found when looking at the listing of the episodes, was the names of the episodes, which starting with ep. 5 were all named for women that were popular in the 1960s--"Shirley Bassey," "Cilla Black," "Julie Christie," "Sandie Shaw," "Alma Cogan," and "Marianne Faithful."

The upfront nature of the Elseworlds setting makes it easy to take this show for what it is and not worry about how it overthrows Batman continuity. I mean, I wouldn't like this version of Thomas Wayne as part of official continuity--but I can put up with him in a world were Elizabeth II is a sexy, sadistic sovereign and Aleister Crowley didn't die in 1947.
    Agreed regarding Gotham. That was just a total mess from start to finish but I've enjoyed Pennyworth so far. It might be the backdrop or that it's just a really wacky setting lol.

Wow! This whole seaosn has been a blast. And the finale was great too!
    Off course it was obvious that Harwood's initial defeat was too easy....but this? Damn you Dad!

Also, seeing Undine Thwaite hang in the streets was pretty unsettling.

Really hope for a Season 2.

Retired

God Bless the Queen!

It was good, but you had to give it a couple episodes before it got going. Looking forward to season 2.

Seems like nobody realized Season 2 is airing now. I certainly didn't. Gonna watch the first episode now.

Through with Episode 2 now. Man, can Aziz ever NOT **** up?

Just finished the 2nd episode since the Break. This series has good chances of supplanting Titans in terms of unlikeable "heroes", seriously.

John Salt however is a very compelling antagonist.