Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

The trailer looked good. I don't get Epix, and I ain't paying to get it, but if this comes out on DVD sometime I'll probably check it out.

Seems interesting that, out of all the Alfreds we've had in TV, film, and animation, he's using Michael Caine's Cockney accent. Jack Bannon seems to have a different accent (closer to Ricky Gervais) in interviews.

Astonishing Member

Lots of good reviews of the pilot so far. it premiered at Comic con. I didn't even know this was a thing until today.

DC seems to have a talent for taking ridiculous sounding prequel concepts and actually making them awesome (Gotham, Krypton and now Pennyworth).

Astonishing Member

I kind of liked the premiere episode! Like a British spy show set in the 60s. Pennyworth is an interesting character here, I liked all of the supporting cast for the most part. Thomas Wayne, his parents were all interesting and helped set the tone.

The villians were the part that gave me a "Gotham City typical" tone. Court of Owls types it seems and the lady had a creepy English Arkham Asylum escapee vibe. As long as they don't get weird and start pulling known Batman villians in way before their time like Gotham the show did.

Retired

It's like the British 1960s AVENGERS with a bit of THE CHAMPIONS mixed in. It has the production values of SHERLOCK and a touch of Michael Caine's ALFIE in the acting.

I can imagine how it fits in within the Batman chronology, but that connection to the Dark Knight just seems like a way to get the funding to make a British period action series.

I hope that they can do thoroughly original storylines. No need to have proto-Joker and the other rogues-- which would really stretch credibility considering Bruce isn't even born yet.

On episode 2 but its pretty slow so far.

Astonishing Member

Why would a strong character like Alfred end up as a butler? Some British class thing?

Who was the guy dragged away at the end of the pilot?

Was that the Harwood guy?

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Smith View Post
    Why would a strong character like Alfred end up as a butler? Some British class thing?
    Maybe something Thomas Wayne did for him made Alfred feel obligated to work for Thomas. Perhaps bodyguard/butler.

Quote Originally Posted by tkitna View Post
    On episode 2 but its pretty slow so far.
    That was a very horrific ending to episode 2. Was that just something made up for the show or did England really do that to prisoners after they hanged them? And that poor girl.
    This is going to give me nightmares.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Osiris-Rex View Post
    That was a very horrific ending to episode 2. Was that just something made up for the show or did England really do that to prisoners after they hanged them? And that poor girl.
    This is going to give me nightmares.
    I had to go to the tv tropes page to find out what you are talking about. That is called disembowelment and has not been done for centuries. This show sounds like trash.

Quote Originally Posted by regnak View Post
    I had to go to the tv tropes page to find out what you are talking about. That is called disembowelment and has not been done for centuries. This show sounds like trash.
    I am debating whether to keep watching. Plus they have such thick accents half the time I don't even know what they are saying.

Retired

The second episode made it pretty obvious that the show takes place in an alternate reality. Like how WATCHMEN and V FOR VENDETTA take place in alternate realities.

That gives it a free hand to stretch things beyond what one would expect if it was being faithful to the period.

While I admire a lot about this series, it makes me feel very anxious and frightened all the time. I guess that's what they wanted. But I'm not sure I can live with that.

The one bright spot is we know Alfred will survive all these horrors--he's the star of the show and he's supposed to end up with Bruce Wayne eventually. But everyone else is likely to die in some horrible way. And I'm not up for that.