Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Default Underrated DC writers?

There is a thread about overrated DC writers, so I thought I would make a thread about the opposite. Who are some DC writers that you think are underrated and why do you think they are underrated.
    “Somewhere, in our darkest night, we made up the story of a man who will never let us down.”

- Grant Morrison on Superman

Yang. Had a tough stretch on his Superman run, having to write within a temporary status quo shakeup that, stop me if you've heard this before, was poorly planned. But he did a great job on New Super-Man but unfortunately the new characters apparently just couldn't grab an audience.

Greg Pak. Still doesn't get the credit he deserves for the second best Action Comics run since the original triangle era, second only to Morrison himself. And its REALLY close.
    Last edited by Sacred Knight; 05-16-2018 at 03:21 PM.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

Incredible Member

Second half of dial h by china mieville was extremely good - very trippy. Wish he'd come back to do something else

BANNED

There's a lot but just to name some of my favorites:

Kelley Puckett: The only reason this man isn't more highly regarded is because he hit burnout and left the industry not long after he'd really made a name for himself.

Gene Luen-Yang- I continue to maintain that New Super-Man is the greatest cape comic of this decade. Other non-DC works such as American Born Chinese and the Shadow Hero are also excellent.

Mark Russell- Prez, Flinstones and Exit Stage Left: The Snagglepuss Chronicles are all books that most comic fans turned their noses up at, completely unaware that they're some of the most smartly written books DC's put out in a long time.

Tom Peyer

Jeff Parker - because he's a great plotter and tells good stories not designed to shock, exploit or deconstruct.
    "There's magic in the sound of analog audio." - CNET.

perhaps i'm only calling him underrated because it appears everybody on the bat board hates him, but i've loved tynion's detective comics run. aside from some spot work on snyder's new 52 batman this is the only thing i've ever read of tynion's and i think he's done a superb job with a big bat-family cast. disclaimer: i couldn't care less that he writes a certain character slightly different than what other writer's have traditionally done. that seems to be a big thing with certain fans.

mark russell is fantastic and needs some sort of monument erected in his honor. i don't know if he just doesn't care for superhero work or if dc is colluding to keep an excellent writer away from some books that could really use his voice, but i need more mark russell in my life, not less.

Jeff LeMire. His work on the Superboy book (right before nu52 wiped it out) was brilliant. Was so sad when it ended.

His work on Animal Man was also great, and I feel like he hasn't been given the respect he deserves with DC.

Incredible Member

Hayden Blackman - Batwoman was a bit confusing but he totally nailed Elektra for Marvel. Clever dude who should be given something to mess around with

Black Belt in Bad Ideas Robanker's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Stone View Post
    Jeff Parker - because he's a great plotter and tells good stories not designed to shock, exploit or deconstruct.
    This one checks out. I still wish we got more Aquaman out of him.

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Stone View Post
    Conpletly agreed. I'm sure that Frontier would think the same

Quote Originally Posted by astro@work View Post
    Jeff LeMire. His work on the Superboy book (right before nu52 wiped it out) was brilliant. Was so sad when it ended.

His work on Animal Man was also great, and I feel like he hasn't been given the respect he deserves with DC.
    His Green Arrow run is pretty great too.

BANNED

Elliot S! Maggin is one of the greatest Superman writers of all time but I never see him discussed. DC not bringing him back to write for AC1000 was an absolute shame.

Always Rakzo

William Messner-Loebs deserves a special mention particularly because of his current unfortunate situation. He wrote the most human run on The Flash that I've ever read.

Quote Originally Posted by Rakzo View Post
    William Messner-Loebs deserves a special mention particularly because of his current unfortunate situation. He wrote the most human run on The Flash that I've ever read.
    That run was the one that made me a fan of The Flash, his whole run deserves to be collected. I'm sad for his current situation, i hope that he is able to recover. Also remenber people, he was the one that wrote that freefall issue not Waid, remenber ir for Rakzo's health .

I didn't add my own choices in the OP, so I will add some now.

Sterling Gates. He had a great run on Supergirl.

Francis Manapul. He is mostly known as an artist (and he is a great artist) but I think he is also a good writer.
    “Somewhere, in our darkest night, we made up the story of a man who will never let us down.”

- Grant Morrison on Superman