Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    DARKSEID LAUGHS... Crazy Diamond's Avatar

In addition to everyone that has been mentioned, I also think that Judd Winnick was underrated. He had his flaws, but he did a good job building up Kyle Rayner and his Outsiders run was enjoyable. I think he did his best work outside of superhero comics though and because most comic forums online that I've been to don't really seem to focus a lot on that he got a lot of crap when he was with DC. Exiles was also a good series.

While he's a novelist, I wish that Mat Johnson would've gotten to write more at DC. Right State and Papa Midnite never got much press but they were some of the more interesting comics from Vertigo.

I don't know if Jeremy Love has done more comics since Bayou but his work was a gem. It was the best of the webcomics on Zuda and one of the better works DC was putting out at the time. Looked really nice not just as a webcomic but as a comic in general too.

Savior of the Universe Flash Gordon's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by M L A View Post
    Jeff Parker.

He doesn't seem to have many, if any, straight up bad books.
    Honestly I've never read anything by Jeff Parker that I didn't enjoy. It's all great comics.

I'd love to see him come back to Aquaman and Mera, or do a *bold font* SUPERMAN title.

Since someone already mentioned it, Mieville. Easily the most underrated writer that has ever worked for the company.

Quote Originally Posted by numberthirty View Post
    Since someone already mentioned it, Mieville. Easily the most underrated writer that has ever worked for the company.
    Yeah, Dial H was awesome.

Also, David Hine. He never seemed to reach the superstardom (and Hellblazer run) he clearly deserves.

Len Wein - rarely mentionned but has done terrific stuff for over 40 years at DC (1970 to 2017).

Not a Newbie Member JBatmanFan05's Avatar

Michael Fleisher. It'd be nice of DC finally starts collecting his Jonah Hex in color.
    Things I love: Batman, Superman, AEW, old films, Lovecraft

Grant Morrison: “Adults...struggle desperately with fiction, demanding constantly that it conform to the rules of everyday life. Adults foolishly demand to know how Superman can possibly fly, or how Batman can possibly run a multibillion-dollar business empire during the day and fight crime at night, when the answer is obvious even to the smallest child: because it's not real.”

Quote Originally Posted by numberthirty View Post
    Only if you aren't aware of his literary chops. Miéville's novels took the literary science fiction and fantasy fannish ecosystem with storm back in 2001-2003, and have regularly been nominated for or winning awards since then. Think of him as J. Michael Straczynski, but from the literary world rather than the TV world.

Quote Originally Posted by Crazy Diamond View Post
    In addition to everyone that has been mentioned, I also think that Judd Winnick was underrated. He had his flaws, but he did a good job building up Kyle Rayner and his Outsiders run was enjoyable. I think he did his best work outside of superhero comics though and because most comic forums online that I've been to don't really seem to focus a lot on that he got a lot of crap when he was with DC. Exiles was also a good series.

While he's a novelist, I wish that Mat Johnson would've gotten to write more at DC. Right State and Papa Midnite never got much press but they were some of the more interesting comics from Vertigo.

I don't know if Jeremy Love has done more comics since Bayou but his work was a gem. It was the best of the webcomics on Zuda and one of the better works DC was putting out at the time. Looked really nice not just as a webcomic but as a comic in general too.
    I liked his UTRH (althought the movie was better) and his "Long Shadows" arc from the DickBats era, his Outsiders was just ok, but the team itself generates apathy on me. I can't say anything about his work on GL thought, i heard mixed things about it.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    He did get to write the Adventures of Supergirl tie-in comic for the TV show .
    I know, I want to see him write the main universe Supergirl again.
    “Somewhere, in our darkest night, we made up the story of a man who will never let us down.”

- Grant Morrison on Superman

Quote Originally Posted by kjn View Post
    Only if you aren't aware of his literary chops. Miéville's novels took the literary science fiction and fantasy fannish ecosystem with storm back in 2001-2003, and have regularly been nominated for or winning awards since then. Think of him as J. Michael Straczynski, but from the literary world rather than the TV world.
    Which was probably eight out of ten DC(or general public) readers going into "New52".

Not underrated as a writer. Underrated as writer that has worked for DC.

Yang - His work on New Super-Man is so cool.

Manapul - Loved the first few runs of the Flash and then his stuff on Tec

Lobdell - I like his Wonder Girl, I like Bunker and what he did with Jason Todd is solid stuff. I liked his Superman run with Clark quitting the planet and working with Cat.

Yang by far. His work on New Super-Man has been fabulous.
    Favorite Characters: Wolfsbane, Storm, Psylcoke, Beast, Feral, Tempo, Nightcrawler, Quicksilver

Favorite Titles: X-Men Red, Legion of X, Marauders, Hellions

where they filmed that one movie and half of that other one

Some great names already mentioned here

In the interest of not retreading names, I nominate:

Jamie Delano (the first Hellblazer writer, creator of the Red concept that Jeff Lemire later used to great effect in his Animal Man)
    Mike Carey (Lucifer, Hellblazer again)
    Andy Diggle (Green Arrow: Year One, Vertigo's The Losers, Hellblazer wait I'm starting to notice a recurring trend here)

I'd also mention David Lapham since I do feel he is an underrated writer but I'm not much of a fan of the DC work he did that I read (Batman: City of Crime) though I did like his creator-owned series Young Liars for Vertigo.

Tom King, even though he is quite beloved elsewhere, gets a bum rap here at least. On these boards theres's no more underrated writer than King. IMO his work has been great enough that even the 8-9 star reviews he gets for most everything he writes are too low. In recent years he's given us definitive stories in Batman, Mister Miracle, The Vision, Omega Men, Grayson (w/Seeley), Sheriff of Babylon, Swamp Thing Winter Special, and Batman-Elmer Fudd.

I think it's almost impossible to overrate a writer with that kind of track record.

He's not at DC anymore, but Charles Soule. I liked everything I ever read by him.

I'd say Dan Jurgens is a little underrated.

For a back in the day type cat, Doug Moench. He kinda gets buried under the big names in the Bat-verse from the 80s and 90s like Grant and Wolfman and O'Neil and Dixon, but he had some really good runs on Batman and Tek. Especially his later run with Kelley Jones and his crazy art. That run is a trip.