Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Mark Russell, Gene Luen-Yang, Sterling Gates and Bryan E. Hill.

At least with Hill his profile does seem to be rising a bit but the man is a true talent. His Michael Cray series is full of personality and he writes super dynamic action.

Marc Andreyko is great too and always deserves more love.

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Flash Gordon View Post
    Honestly I've never read anything by Jeff Parker that I didn't enjoy. It's all great comics.

I'd love to see him come back to Aquaman and Mera, or do a *bold font* SUPERMAN title.
    I'm still pissed Parker got kicked off of Aquaman. That was a great transition from Johns to him. He'd be good for Wonder Woman too, and I wanted him at the time to take over after Azzarello left (we got Finch instead)

Quote Originally Posted by numberthirty View Post
    Since someone already mentioned it, Mieville. Easily the most underrated writer that has ever worked for the company.
    Yes, him too. It's a shame Dial H didn't last nearly as long as it should have.

Quote Originally Posted by Slim Shady View Post
    He's not at DC anymore, but Charles Soule. I liked everything I ever read by him.
    His Swamp thing was awsome.

Quote Originally Posted by Slim Shady View Post
    For a back in the day type cat, Doug Moench. He kinda gets buried under the big names in the Bat-verse from the 80s and 90s like Grant and Wolfman and O'Neil and Dixon, but he had some really good runs on Batman and Tek. Especially his later run with Kelley Jones and his crazy art. That run is a trip.
    Great one! I loved Moench's run on Batman comics though I liked it best when he was paired with the great Don Newton.

Quote Originally Posted by BatmanJones View Post
    Great one! I loved Moench's run on Batman comics though I liked it best when he was paired with the great Don Newton.
    Totally agree. I enjoyed Moench's "Heat" from Batman: Legends of the Dark Knight. Moench and Russ Heath made a good team.

Savior of the Universe Flash Gordon's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by SiegePerilous02 View Post
    I'm still pissed Parker got kicked off of Aquaman. That was a great transition from Johns to him. He'd be good for Wonder Woman too, and I wanted him at the time to take over after Azzarello left (we got Finch instead)

Yes, him too. It's a shame Dial H didn't last nearly as long as it should have.
    Parker on WW would be rad. He penned a great WW in his AQUAMAN annual.

Mighty Member

Bryan Hill, Dan Abnett, Brad Meltzer, Mark Russell.
    Imagine being proud to have negative traits. I can’t relate.

DC: Justice League, The Flash, Justice League Dark, Superman, Action Comics, Green Arrow, Justice League Odyssey, The Terrifics, Teen Titans, Titans, Brimstone, Female Furies, Damage, Heroes In Crisis

Marvel: The Punisher, Cosmic Ghost Rider, Venom, X-23, Cloak and Dagger, Jessica Jones, Sentry

Indies: Unnatural, Jeepers Creepers, Project Superpowers, Black Hammer, Ninja-K

Quote Originally Posted by Hilden B. Lade View Post
    In the interest of not retreading names, I nominate:

Jamie Delano (the first Hellblazer writer, creator of the Red concept that Jeff Lemire later used to great effect in his Animal Man)
    Mike Carey (Lucifer, Hellblazer again)
    Andy Diggle (Green Arrow: Year One, Vertigo's The Losers, Hellblazer wait I'm starting to notice a recurring trend here)
    None of these writers are ones I completely like, but they all have their moments.

I read the tail end of Delano's Hellblazer when I reread Ennis's run last year and it was worse than I remembered - and I remembered it being pretty bad. On the other hand, Bad Blood and Outlaw Nation are excellent.

Mike Carey was great on Lucifer and decent on Hellblazer, but Ultimate Fantastic Four, Darkness Visible and God Save the Queen are all quite weak.

Diggle, I usually don't like, but his Hellblazer and Lady Joanna Constantine are decent.

Quote Originally Posted by Hilden B. Lade View Post
    I'd also mention David Lapham since I do feel he is an underrated writer but I'm not much of a fan of the DC work he did that I read (Batman: City of Crime) though I did like his creator-owned series Young Liars for Vertigo.
    Dave Lapham is great. I really liked City of Crime (for me it was the perfect antidote to Hush), and Young Liars, Stray Bullets, Punisher/Daredevil are all excellent.

Quote Originally Posted by jb681131 View Post
    His Swamp thing was awsome.
    It really was. I even liked his SM/WW and I wasn't even a big fan of that little fling.

Quote Originally Posted by BatmanJones View Post
    Yeah his stuff with Newton is great, he had such a classic look. I just like his run with Jones because it's so...out there. Jones' art of course is over the top crazy, you can sorta feel Moench was vibing off his art while he was writing.

Quote Originally Posted by K7P5V View Post
    Totally agree. I enjoyed Moench's "Heat" from Batman: Legends of the Dark Knight. Moench and Russ Heath made a good team.
    Prey is another good one from that LOTDK run.

Hey Baby--Wha's Happ'nin? HandofPrometheus's Avatar

John Ostrander what he did with Barbara and the Suicide Squad is one of my all time favorite things in DC.

Extraordinary Member superduperman's Avatar

Rucka, far and away. Loved his WW. Loved Gotham Central. They could stick this guy on anything and it would be great! Tom Taylor. His Injustice stuff shows he needs to be given a mainstream book.
    Assassinate Putin!

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Adset View Post
    perhaps i'm only calling him underrated because it appears everybody on the bat board hates him, but i've loved tynion's detective comics run. aside from some spot work on snyder's new 52 batman this is the only thing i've ever read of tynion's and i think he's done a superb job with a big bat-family cast. disclaimer: i couldn't care less that he writes a certain character slightly different than what other writer's have traditionally done.
    Tynion is very loved by many people. I just think he leaves himself more open to attacks than most writers.

Quote Originally Posted by iron chimp View Post
    Hayden Blackman - Batwoman was a bit confusing but he totally nailed Elektra for Marvel.
    Agreed.

Quote Originally Posted by FlashFreak View Post
    Jerry Ordway. His Power of Shazam was an amazing story!
    Roger Stern especially his Power of The Atom series.
    Definitely those two, though I'd choose other work by Stern, like his Superman and, at Marvel, for Captain America.

Quote Originally Posted by jb681131 View Post
    Len Wein - rarely mentioned but has done terrific stuff for over 40 years at DC (1970 to 2017).
    Yup. His run on JLA in the early 1970s really made me enjoy that group as well as the JSA, original Seven Soldiers of Victory, as well as introducing the original Freedom Fighters into the DC universe.

Quote Originally Posted by HandofPrometheus View Post
    John Ostrander what he did with Barbara and the Suicide Squad is one of my all time favorite things in DC.
    I never have considered John as "under-rated", but he (and the late Kim Yale) were definitely good people.

Others to add include Paul Levitz and Sholly Fisch.

Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy View Post
    Agreed.

Definitely those two, though I'd choose other work by Stern, like his Superman and, at Marvel, for Captain America.

Yup. His run on JLA in the early 1970s really made me enjoy that group as well as the JSA, original Seven Soldiers of Victory, as well as introducing the original Freedom Fighters into the DC universe.

I never have considered John as "under-rated", but he (and the late Kim Yale) were definitely good people.

Others to add include Paul Levitz and Sholly Fisch.
    Stern's work on the Avengers might be underrated (especially among today's readers).

At Marvel, Ostrander's Punisher is definitely underrated.

Incredible Member

Peter Milligan - hit and miss but shade, enigma, and extremist were all some of the very finest things Dc has published.