Default New lantern ability: Emotional Spectrum Bender

Don't get caught up in the name. What if, through great concentration, lanterns could temporarily borrow power from one of the nearest lantern types? For instance, a Green Lantern could manipulate Blue or Yellow light for a short time. Think of each corp's ring as a doorway to a long hallway that is the emotional spectrum. The further you move through the spectrum the more your powers and required emotion changes. The true masters of this ability can go further into the spectrum than others. This could also lead to in between colors having new and different abilities. I haven't even given it a whole lot of thought, so some restrictions will have to apply. I also don't know if this has been suggested already in regular canon or in these forums. If so, I'd like to know!

That is basically the Indigo Lanterns.
    "Never assign to malice what is adequately explained by stupidity or ignorance."

"Great stories will always return to their original forms"

"Nobody is more dangerous than he who imagines himself pure in heart; for his purity, by definition, is unassailable." James Baldwin

Spectacular Member

Yeah, that's what I was thinking too...the Indigo Tribe can channel any other Lantern power.
    The Emotional Spectrum focuses of emotional states: Rage (Anger), Fear, Hope, Avarice, Love and Hope. Will power is centralized due to it being the state in which you can control your emotions.
    What if the new spectrum doesn't deal with emotion but mind? Like insanity? Intelligence? Order and chaos?
    Or what if it is adapted from other physical states?

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Marxtles View Post
    Yeah, that's what I was thinking too...the Indigo Tribe can channel any other Lantern power.
    The Emotional Spectrum focuses of emotional states: Rage (Anger), Fear, Hope, Avarice, Love and Hope. Will power is centralized due to it being the state in which you can control your emotions.
    What if the new spectrum doesn't deal with emotion but mind? Like insanity? Intelligence? Order and chaos?
    Or what if it is adapted from other physical states?
    Some kind of balance, a yin and yang such as order and chaos would be interesting to explore. Two ends of the same scale, what's taken from one is given to the other, but both are needed for each to exist and provide perspective.

One aspect of the Emotional Spectrum that was underused was how some emotions mirrored or contrasted others, in terms of characteristics, manifestation and abilities. Rage and Love for example. Both force the ring bearer to feel that emotion to power their ring, effectively conditioning them. There's also a precognitive ability under certain circumstances. Avarice and Compassion, both brainwash the ring bearer against any previous way of thinking. Fear and Hope, one being a show of force in the now, the other a passive optimism for the future. Willpower has a contrasting effect, overpowering fear but bolstering hope. No one person can contain just one emotion, they need aspects of all seven in order to function properly. This could have been an angle for Kyle as the White Lantern, how the balance of the emotions within him affected how strong the power of the emotion he drew on at any one time.