Default DC's "Golden Age" (era) Amazing Man (William "Will" Everett) Appreciation Thread

Okay, the "Will Everett" version of Amazing Man isn't a true "Golden Age" character, not actually appearing until 1983 in the pages of All-Star Squadron #23 (July 1983).

And, as previously mentioned in a different thread, while there was a character named "Amazing-Man" who did appear in the Golden Age (debuting in 1939), that character was published by Centaur Publications and was created by William "Bill" Everett.

When the JSA returns it would be super cool if Amazing Man was retconned as being one of the original members. And of course returns when the team finally appears.
    Last edited by Robotman; 08-18-2018 at 07:31 PM.

All-New Member

I really like reading about him I wish DC would have done more story about him.

Quote Originally Posted by Robotman View Post
    When the JSA returns it would be super cool if Amazing Man was retconned as being one of the original members. And of course returns when the team finally appears.
    I definitely would NOT want that. There's no real reason he would have needed to be an original, Golden Age member, and trying to make a 1940s group membership PC by 21st century standards would be an asinine move.
    He had been retconned into being a member of a 1940s group in the All-Star Squadron, and that's sufficient. If he were to work with the JSA in an "untold story" his All-Star Squadron affiliation would be enough of a link, but don't rewrite the JSA's history to change their membership! (Having first Miss America and then Hippolyta retconned into being past members made sense because those characters were replacing a previously existing member (Golden Age Wonder Woman) who was erased as a result of CoIE.)
    Changing the membership history for no real reason would be right up there with Geoff Johns decision to change Barry Allen's past by retconning a dead Mommy into his back story, a move that really served no good purpose.

Mighty Member

I second this. Nothing "PC" about it either.
    Imagine being proud to have negative traits. I can’t relate.

DC: Justice League, The Flash, Justice League Dark, Superman, Action Comics, Green Arrow, Justice League Odyssey, The Terrifics, Teen Titans, Titans, Brimstone, Female Furies, Damage, Heroes In Crisis

Marvel: The Punisher, Cosmic Ghost Rider, Venom, X-23, Cloak and Dagger, Jessica Jones, Sentry

Indies: Unnatural, Jeepers Creepers, Project Superpowers, Black Hammer, Ninja-K

Quote Originally Posted by The Anti-Geek View Post
    I second this. Nothing "PC" about it either.
    If there is NO REASON to alter the previous history of the Justice Society of America, then what would be the point?

Hell, if DC does things like that, might as well just bring back the New 52 Earth 2 series instead!!!

Boisterously Confused

How do you see this benefiting either Amazing Man, or the JSA?

more from the pages of All-Star Squadron #23 (July 1983):